Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New Router with a bit more oomph?

New Router with a bit more oomph?

Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of
Default New Router with a bit more oomph?

The time has come to retire the tired netgear virgin broadband router for something a bit less weedy.

Anyone out there got a suggestion for a router powerful enough to blast its signal through the reinforced concrete walls of our bunker of an apartment?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:58 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Router with a bit more oomph?

Originally Posted by Robajob
The time has come to retire the tired netgear virgin broadband router for something a bit less weedy.

Anyone out there got a suggestion for a router powerful enough to blast its signal through the reinforced concrete walls of our bunker of an apartment?
Try something called homeplugs if the router is ok, they can be used to transfer the router signal into other rooms using the electrical outlets.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Try something called homeplugs if the router is ok, they can be used to transfer the router signal into other rooms using the electrical outlets.
every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers.

Nothing will get through the concrete-steel Faraday cage.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

I'll have a look into that, thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:18 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers.

Nothing will get through the concrete-steel Faraday cage.
The signal is transferred by the electrical wiring inside the room required and the plug then picks it up from the electrical outlet and broadcasts within the room. It does work, but obviously if its pre-wired cat 5 then use that.

Homeplugs
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The signal is transferred by the electrical wiring inside the room required and the plug then picks it up from the electrical outlet and broadcasts within the room. It does work, but obviously if its pre-wired cat 5 then use that.

Homeplugs
I know it, it don't think that it will work in the villas as the upstairs and downstairs are on different rings.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:01 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

This http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/routers/EA6900 is the best router out there in my opinion
been looking at it for a few days and want to upgrade mine as well but cant find it anywhere right now, I am told it should be in stock in a week or so

a lower model EA6700 is available for about 650 aed but I would rather wait

Last edited by Irishbeekeeper; Nov 27th 2013 at 4:10 pm. Reason: price
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:32 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I recently installed an Apple Time Capsule which is probably the best performing wireless router I have ever used. Its pretty pricey, but does come with a huge built in hard drive which I use to back up all of the devices in the house on a regular basis.

Its not for everyone, but if you want a router with storage, its a pretty good option.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:16 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers
You may need to dig around and find the patch panel in order to make the necessary network sockets "live". In the Springs it was in the cupboard under the stairs (and needed a Krone tool to make the connections), in our current apartment it's in the ceiling space above the front door (and uses standard Ethernet patch cables).
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
This http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/routers/EA6900 is the best router out there in my opinion
been looking at it for a few days and want to upgrade mine as well but cant find it anywhere right now, I am told it should be in stock in a week or so

a lower model EA6700 is available for about 650 aed but I would rather wait
I have a Linksys EA6300v1 (came free when I bought a TV) - it sits in a hole in the wall that has a glass door - I've live in a one bed apartment - it does the job; can access the web when in the bedroom with the door closed (so the signal is either penertrating through the wooden door or concrete wall).
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.