British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   New Router with a bit more oomph? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/new-router-bit-more-oomph-816325/)

Robajob Nov 27th 2013 12:51 pm

New Router with a bit more oomph?

The time has come to retire the tired netgear virgin broadband router for something a bit less weedy.

Anyone out there got a suggestion for a router powerful enough to blast its signal through the reinforced concrete walls of our bunker of an apartment?

weasel decentral Nov 27th 2013 12:58 pm

Re: New Router with a bit more oomph?

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 11010165)
The time has come to retire the tired netgear virgin broadband router for something a bit less weedy.

Anyone out there got a suggestion for a router powerful enough to blast its signal through the reinforced concrete walls of our bunker of an apartment?

Try something called homeplugs if the router is ok, they can be used to transfer the router signal into other rooms using the electrical outlets.

Millhouse Nov 27th 2013 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11010172)
Try something called homeplugs if the router is ok, they can be used to transfer the router signal into other rooms using the electrical outlets.

every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers.

Nothing will get through the concrete-steel Faraday cage.

Robajob Nov 27th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11010172)

I'll have a look into that, thanks.

weasel decentral Nov 27th 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11010179)
every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers.

Nothing will get through the concrete-steel Faraday cage.

The signal is transferred by the electrical wiring inside the room required and the plug then picks it up from the electrical outlet and broadcasts within the room. It does work, but obviously if its pre-wired cat 5 then use that.

Homeplugs

Millhouse Nov 27th 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 11010195)
The signal is transferred by the electrical wiring inside the room required and the plug then picks it up from the electrical outlet and broadcasts within the room. It does work, but obviously if its pre-wired cat 5 then use that.

Homeplugs

I know it, it don't think that it will work in the villas as the upstairs and downstairs are on different rings.

Irishbeekeeper Nov 27th 2013 4:01 pm

This http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/routers/EA6900 is the best router out there in my opinion
been looking at it for a few days and want to upgrade mine as well but cant find it anywhere right now, I am told it should be in stock in a week or so

a lower model EA6700 is available for about 650 aed but I would rather wait

TheShed Nov 28th 2013 4:32 am

I recently installed an Apple Time Capsule which is probably the best performing wireless router I have ever used. Its pretty pricey, but does come with a huge built in hard drive which I use to back up all of the devices in the house on a regular basis.

Its not for everyone, but if you want a router with storage, its a pretty good option.

Eeyore Nov 28th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11010179)
every place I've had here has been Cat 5 wired. Just use the wires into multiple routers

You may need to dig around and find the patch panel in order to make the necessary network sockets "live". In the Springs it was in the cupboard under the stairs (and needed a Krone tool to make the connections), in our current apartment it's in the ceiling space above the front door (and uses standard Ethernet patch cables).

MAV_DXB Nov 28th 2013 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11010475)
This http://www.linksys.com/en-apac/products/routers/EA6900 is the best router out there in my opinion
been looking at it for a few days and want to upgrade mine as well but cant find it anywhere right now, I am told it should be in stock in a week or so

a lower model EA6700 is available for about 650 aed but I would rather wait

I have a Linksys EA6300v1 (came free when I bought a TV) - it sits in a hole in the wall that has a glass door - I've live in a one bed apartment - it does the job; can access the web when in the bedroom with the door closed (so the signal is either penertrating through the wooden door or concrete wall).

Robajob Nov 28th 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.