My First Marathon

Old Apr 12th 2016, 10:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Marathon

How high is the wall?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How high is the wall?
Double the height it is to the middle?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Height:

4 climbs of 600+m, and a few other little ones. To put this into perspective, the Shard in London is 300m, or the Burj is 800m.

I ran my tower last night 9 times - total climb of 200 floors, so maybe around 600m, it took an hour.

Attached is the elevation plan for those interested or terminally bored.

My First Marathon-elevation.jpg
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Height:

4 climbs of 600+m, and a few other little ones. To put this into perspective, the Shard in London is 300m, or the Burj is 800m.

I ran my tower last night 9 times - total climb of 200 floors, so maybe around 600m, it took an hour.

Attachment 124463
****. That.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Height:

Attachment 124463
From a random a long long way away I think you're barking but all the luck (and training) in the world.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not easy and the security guard thinks I'm nuts as I keep running past him out of the lifts in the basement.

Attached is my heart rate profile for last night. Red means full anaerobic with a heart rate in excess of 90%+ of the maximum - so around 170bpm for me. You can see the recovery as I take the lift down. I've been doing this for a while now.

My First Marathon-heart.jpg

(not forgetting that the stairwell is at around 25C and the car park about 32C at the moment)

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 13th 2016 at 11:39 am.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 12:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not easy and the security guard thinks I'm nuts as I keep running past him out of the lifts in the basement.

Attached is my heart rate profile for last night. Red means full anaerobic with a heart rate in excess of 90%+ of the maximum - so around 170bpm for me. You can see the recovery as I take the lift down. I've been doing this for a while now.

Attachment 124464

(not forgetting that the stairwell is at around 25C and the car park about 32C at the moment)
'king L (for the HR, 9 x 200 storeys and the wall profile). I've just got back into erging (brought a Concept2 back with me this time), and currently peaking around 80% of maxHR, although there's a different way of calculating maxHR once you're over 40, apparently. Struggling to grasp the reality of 9 x 200 storeys, though. Respect.

Edit: Ah, just realised not 9 x 200 but 9 = 200. Even though that's a lot of stairs...
Old Apr 13th 2016, 12:03 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even properly understand it but I am exhausted just reading about your exertions!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Attachment 124464

Wow.

Why take lift though? Is it to make it more interval like or just to catch breath?

Assumption being made from the elevation is that you'll have to go down stairs too?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:46 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 124464

Damn!!! That's serious excercise MH. On an average 90km bike ride I ascend about 400m in TOTAL. If I'm really giving it stick I peak out at 165bpm (I am 10 years older than you). Kudos mate. Don't let me forget to do the sponsorship if you don't see it shortly.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Wow.

Why take lift though? Is it to make it more interval like or just to catch breath?

Assumption being made from the elevation is that you'll have to go down stairs too?
Going down doesn't do much from a training perspective but it will screw your knees. Keep them fresh for the day.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TheShed
Damn!!! That's serious excercise MH. On an average 90km bike ride I ascend about 400m in TOTAL. If I'm really giving it stick I peak out at 165bpm (I am 10 years older than you). Kudos mate. Don't let me forget to do the sponsorship if you don't see it shortly.
Loads of guys ride up Jebal Hafeet on Fridays. They have it harder than the runners in my opinion as I'm not trying to drag up another 7kg over my weight.

JH is 1000m climb over 11.5km.

And respect on 90km!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:35 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of guys ride up Jebal Hafeet on Fridays. They have it harder than the runners in my opinion as I'm not trying to drag up another 7kg over my weight.

JH is 1000m climb over 11.5km.

And respect on 90km!
I'm just a bit too old and fat for JH now . 90 is my normal Friday, trying to build up to the holy grail of cycling. (100 miles non stop) .
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jeball Hafeet done twice this morning. Properly mental challenge. Almost 2000m of aggregate ascent over around 20km. 4.30am start in Dubai for a 6am at the rock.

Frankly the first time was easy. The second time was very tough though and there was more walking than running for sure - it was also starting to warm up. I went with a friend (who is also doing GW-China with me). He gave me a 3km headstart on the second round and the bastard still sailed past me. We were suppose to cross the finish together! I take no comfort in the fact he is 10 years younger!
Old Apr 15th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine recently completed her first ultra marathon between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Because it was along the canal it was very flat. According to several of her fellow runners it is easier to run when there is changeable terrain as you're not using the same muscle groups constantly.

I'm sort of assuming that you won't be constantly ascending all the time during the run, are you also training on flat and downhill stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.