Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

My computer's been taken over...

My computer's been taken over...

Old May 19th 2010, 4:03 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default My computer's been taken over...

... by a rectangular picture with 2 photos of the same topless women, script that is garbbled, and a countdown clock starting at 13:00:00 which resets every time I re-start. The picture is always on top. Can't use the internet, but Outlook works. Can't use Task Manager. Clicking on the picture does nothing, and can't remove it.

Using my computer now in Administrator mode, and doing a scan but nothing coming up. Have looked for any new programs using Control Panel in Admin mode, but nothing there.

Any suggestions?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My computer's been taken over...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
... by a rectangular picture with 2 photos of the same topless women, script that is garbbled, and a countdown clock starting at 13:00:00 which resets every time I re-start. The picture is always on top. Can't use the internet, but Outlook works. Can't use Task Manager. Clicking on the picture does nothing, and can't remove it.

Using my computer now in Administrator mode, and doing a scan but nothing coming up. Have looked for any new programs using Control Panel in Admin mode, but nothing there.

Any suggestions?
do a system restore back to a point before you had the problems.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:10 pm
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
make backup of your data on a USB harddisk or dvds and proceed with formatting
Old May 19th 2010, 4:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse.

I'll need to do the restore from Admin mode--will that fix the problem which only appears when I'm logged in as myself?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Can we see the topless women?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:36 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Can we see the topless women?
you do make me laugh sometimes...
Old May 19th 2010, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse.

I'll need to do the restore from Admin mode--will that fix the problem which only appears when I'm logged in as myself?
humm... I think so. Can you not boot it in 'safe mode' : log in as yourself then do the restore?

I've had these things before where I couldn't do the system restore as that was 'locked out'. I think then I was able to create a boot CD that did the restore for me.

can you run anything? e.g click 'start' 'run' then type in 'msconfig' - you can then take the process out of the startup list, reboot, then restore
Old May 19th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Did you click on that "sexiest video ever" clip on facebook by any chance?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:43 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
humm... I think so. Can you not boot it in 'safe mode' : log in as yourself then do the restore?

I've had these things before where I couldn't do the system restore as that was 'locked out'. I think then I was able to create a boot CD that did the restore for me.

can you run anything?
Can run simple programs when logged in, but can't get at system stuff (like Control Panel and Task Manager), and anyway the bloody picture's always on top I can't move it, so can't use the majority of the screen. How do I start in safe mode?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:44 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Euc-
Ah, that rings a bell...
Old May 19th 2010, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Restart your computer and start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard while it reboots
Old May 19th 2010, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

haha. twat. him, not you.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, that rings a bell...
Do a ctrl alt delete and go to the tab next to applications, check for something called "Hotbar" and force it to shutdown. From there you should be able to remove it in the control panel "add/remove software" app.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
haha. twat. him, not you.
You've said it
Old May 19th 2010, 4:55 pm
Hit 16's

Do a ctrl alt delete and go to the tab next to applications, check for something called "Hotbar" and force it to shutdown. From there you should be able to remove it in the control panel "add/remove software" app.
Whatever it is, its disabling the Task Manager, and there's nothing suspicious in the add/remove software which I can access from Admin mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.