British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   My computer's been taken over... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/my-computers-been-taken-over-668922/)

Bahtatboy May 19th 2010 4:03 pm

My computer's been taken over...

... by a rectangular picture with 2 photos of the same topless women, script that is garbbled, and a countdown clock starting at 13:00:00 which resets every time I re-start. The picture is always on top. Can't use the internet, but Outlook works. Can't use Task Manager. Clicking on the picture does nothing, and can't remove it.

Using my computer now in Administrator mode, and doing a scan but nothing coming up. Have looked for any new programs using Control Panel in Admin mode, but nothing there.

Any suggestions?

Millhouse May 19th 2010 4:07 pm

Re: My computer's been taken over...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8576404)
... by a rectangular picture with 2 photos of the same topless women, script that is garbbled, and a countdown clock starting at 13:00:00 which resets every time I re-start. The picture is always on top. Can't use the internet, but Outlook works. Can't use Task Manager. Clicking on the picture does nothing, and can't remove it.

Using my computer now in Administrator mode, and doing a scan but nothing coming up. Have looked for any new programs using Control Panel in Admin mode, but nothing there.

Any suggestions?

do a system restore back to a point before you had the problems.

shikra May 19th 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8576404)

Any suggestions?

make backup of your data on a USB harddisk or dvds and proceed with formatting :)

Bahtatboy May 19th 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks Millhouse.

I'll need to do the restore from Admin mode--will that fix the problem which only appears when I'm logged in as myself?

lionheart May 19th 2010 4:14 pm

Can we see the topless women?

MataHari May 19th 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8576428)
Can we see the topless women?

you do make me laugh sometimes...

Millhouse May 19th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8576421)
Thanks Millhouse.

I'll need to do the restore from Admin mode--will that fix the problem which only appears when I'm logged in as myself?

humm... I think so. Can you not boot it in 'safe mode' : log in as yourself then do the restore?

I've had these things before where I couldn't do the system restore as that was 'locked out'. I think then I was able to create a boot CD that did the restore for me.

can you run anything? e.g click 'start' 'run' then type in 'msconfig' - you can then take the process out of the startup list, reboot, then restore

Euc- May 19th 2010 4:41 pm

Did you click on that "sexiest video ever" clip on facebook by any chance?

Bahtatboy May 19th 2010 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8576464)
humm... I think so. Can you not boot it in 'safe mode' : log in as yourself then do the restore?

I've had these things before where I couldn't do the system restore as that was 'locked out'. I think then I was able to create a boot CD that did the restore for me.

can you run anything?

Can run simple programs when logged in, but can't get at system stuff (like Control Panel and Task Manager), and anyway the bloody picture's always on top I can't move it, so can't use the majority of the screen. How do I start in safe mode?

Bahtatboy May 19th 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8576467)

Ah, that rings a bell...

Millhouse May 19th 2010 4:47 pm

Restart your computer and start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard while it reboots

Millhouse May 19th 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8576467)

haha. twat. him, not you.

Euc- May 19th 2010 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8576476)
Ah, that rings a bell...

Do a ctrl alt delete and go to the tab next to applications, check for something called "Hotbar" and force it to shutdown. From there you should be able to remove it in the control panel "add/remove software" app.

Euc- May 19th 2010 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8576486)
haha. twat. him, not you.

You've said it :cool::thumbsup:

Bahtatboy May 19th 2010 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8576488)
Do a ctrl alt delete and go to the tab next to applications, check for something called "Hotbar" and force it to shutdown. From there you should be able to remove it in the control panel "add/remove software" app.

Whatever it is, its disabling the Task Manager, and there's nothing suspicious in the add/remove software which I can access from Admin mode.