Money versus quality of life

Old May 16th 2011, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money versus quality of life

Originally Posted by Meow
And this is a Good Thing.

Love from your favourite parasite
The reasonably strange part is that if you consider us all professionals, I mean engineers,doctors, lawyers, financial types etc .. even when the location of the project is well developed (like dubai) there is still an impression that because you work in a rougher industry you are not expected to be unhappy with lower quality accommodation.
Old May 16th 2011, 1:25 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably take purchasing power into consideration for a fairer decision, or if definitely planning to return to the UK then at least take net savings after living and regular expenses.

On that exact basis a good friend of mine took a huge USD pay cut to move to Madrid and has never been happier and has more free cash since the cost of living is so low and standard so high.

Amusing to see PNG on the list - I had an email from a headhunter for a job in Port Moresby, having never heard of it a quick google showed up as almost without doubt the worst s**thole on the planet. I seem to remember (it was a while ago) a brief debate about the golf course and whether the most dangerous thing was the crocs living in the water features or the raskol gangs taking pot shots at the crocs (to eat them) and not worrying at all about taking out the odd golfer
Old May 16th 2011, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

From what I've see, heard and been told the silly money no longer exists.

If you're a PM in construction in Dubai / AD then market rate sits AED45-60k all in.

Don't see many salaries for the same man in Saudi for 120k.

Regularly see someone on 60k in Saudi but would look at 40-45k in Dubai.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to sacrifice money vs life then you made a poor career choice possibly - You could move to a new industry where you can "command" a salary to your expectations.

Life is too short to worry about paper !
Old May 16th 2011, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
If you have to sacrifice money vs life then you made a poor career choice possibly - You could move to a new industry where you can "command" a salary to your expectations.

My point was that both options are available there is the life and money choice, but there is also taking on less life for more money, this is the option I have.

I was wondering at what point would people and specifically me in this case sell out at. Its not about things being lower than my expectations.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent

Comes with the territory in a lot of industries though , your morals are grand but unworkable for most people.

Most of the time in my industy they build things in shite holes , sometimes you get lucky and get somewhere nice , not very often though

The nice places are running out though i'm afraid
Old May 16th 2011, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp

If you're a PM in construction in Dubai / AD then market rate sits AED45-60k all in.

I am seeing some of these kind of offers for project managers its not exactly my role but that seems to be the market rate for the cold calling candidate.

I would guess that 50% of roles here or maybe more, just from my experience, are filled internally. By that I mean through the companies own HR or existing employees recommendations (a nice way of saying nepotism), the salaries for this kind of way in are usually a lot higher than recruiters pitch at. I see from the recruiters I deal with (on both sides) that the candidates they suggest of course they always show an expected salary at a low range to get in the door and negotiate from there.

It can be a case of the recruiters in this case lowering salaries in competition with other recruiters and then pushing this to the candidate. Well its business of course, but when someone is recommended internally or they want this particular guy then the normal rules don't apply so much.

Actually a case in point for this is how some companies divide up salaries, some of them have area allowances for each territory on top of your salary. In one company I have met the carribean is plus 10% and PNG is 70% so by their own internal rules PNG is almost at 2 times as I suggested.

Came to mind about offers in Abu Dhabi that the package was usually all in but the ones in Saudi were salary only, as accomodation and transport were provided. Not sure if thats still the case but it was my deal the last time, so maybe the premium is more built in than expected.

Anyhow I am just tossing around ideas at the moment, none of which may see the light of day but I am trying to get plan together for my next couple of years.

Last edited by weasel central; May 16th 2011 at 6:02 pm. Reason: further stuff came to mind
Old May 16th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Yeah you're right and what people don't realise that they think they're going to double their package if they jump to K.S.A or Qatar , wrong .

It's just not going to happen , the markets awash with people looking for work . When Dubai was booming you could actually get very very good deals elsewhere because firms just could not attract people because everyone was in Dubai so the supply and demand kicked in and salaries rose.

Constructions dead in Dubai , has been for 18 months they'll be no upturn in the market for around 5 + years , there's nothing left to build and no money to finish whats half built.

I'm of the opinion that the big deals have gone but there's still enough to put a loaf of bread on the table.....
Old May 16th 2011, 11:47 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Its also to do with motivation.

I have known guys turn up on contracts in shitholes and spend nothing, because they had a plan to fund their dream. Three years and they were out and doing something different. I hope they made it.

I have known other guys arrive in country with a wife and three kids in tow, ands start living (and spending) a lifestyle that they thought would go on for ever. I think these were they guys hit the most when the GFC hit the UAE.

I have also known guys on FIFO who go straight to Thailand where they gallop and guzzle for 14 days straight, returning to the site penniless and clap ridden.

The choice of where you work is driven by not only what rates they pay you, but also why you are there.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:53 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
Just having a scout around at the moment regarding a new role, I have a few offers from within my own company and from outside.
I will probably decide on what to do in the next couple of months but I am curious on how much money does it take to convince people to take a role in a horrible location.
Taking my home net salary as being the base I am thinking along the lines of (based on the roles offered):

Abu Dhabi/Dubai Equal to 1.5 times
Saudi at least 2 to 2.5
St Vincents Equal
Papua New Guinea (don't ask) 2 to 3 times depending on remoteness
Doha 2 times
New Delhi 1.5 times
Cairo 1.5 times

And how long can you stick it out for? I stuck Saudi for close to one year but I seriously doubt I could again unless the money was exceptional.

Thoughts?

Edit to say I am in construction/engineering, might be relevant also. Oh and I have been in all the above except PNG and New Delhi so I have no real experience of either.
I notice you didnt include Indonesia on there. At the moment things seem to be going good in Balikpapan and every week I get another call about the place.

Maybe its just me.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I notice you didnt include Indonesia on there. At the moment things seem to be going good in Balikpapan and every week I get another call about the place.

Maybe its just me.
I have heard a little from Leightons out there but nothing worth pursuing yet, it seems like things are picking up. A friend worked there and said once you get over the bribery culture its fine, a bit like India maybe in that regard.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by weasel central
I have heard a little from Leightons out there but nothing worth pursuing yet, it seems like things are picking up. A friend worked there and said once you get over the bribery culture its fine, a bit like India maybe in that regard.
Yes Leighton’s are building up there. Not a bad place either.

I am looking at a year in either (in order of preference) Manila (civilised and girlie bars), a series of remote pacific islands (good for diving but nothing else) or Kabul (good for nothing as they won’t let me shoot the neighbours).

Dubai sounds good to me.