Telephone Interview

Old May 17th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephone Interview

Folks, I've interviewing some people from other GCC countries to whittle them down to a few I'll fly over for a face to face interview next month. Normally when interviewing face to face, I'm a good judge on whether what they have on their CV is BS and if they can do the job to the standard I expect, I think most of that comes from their body language when I'm asking / they are answering the questions.

Obviously, this aspect is removed over the phone (or atleast a little more difficult to pick-up), and since this will be the first time I've done that, wondering if anyone has any pointers? Will be the usual sub-cont nationalities I'll be talking to if that makes any difference.

Cheers!
Old May 17th 2011, 11:55 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telephone Interview

Why not use Skype? Our chaps do it and it seems effective.

one boss insisted to do it after an absolute whale was hired by a phone interview.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:26 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded - skype is excellent for interviewing remotely, much better than the phone
Old May 17th 2011, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Folks, I've interviewing some people from other GCC countries to whittle them down to a few I'll fly over for a face to face interview next month. Normally when interviewing face to face, I'm a good judge on whether what they have on their CV is BS and if they can do the job to the standard I expect, I think most of that comes from their body language when I'm asking / they are answering the questions.

Obviously, this aspect is removed over the phone (or atleast a little more difficult to pick-up), and since this will be the first time I've done that, wondering if anyone has any pointers? Will be the usual sub-cont nationalities I'll be talking to if that makes any difference.

Cheers!
Ask things twice and use more leading / open questions.

DO the usual prep with the CV and pick out key things you want to know about.

If you know everything that you expect the person to know then ask them if x is x and y is y, why would x and y work together or not work etc...
Old May 17th 2011, 1:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, Skype...but if over the phone, got to be on speaker phone so you can ponce about a bit and look things over.

Get them to go over things on their CV a couple times, a good one is to back track to something you might have asked, but get it wrong, such as the year they started their last position, something they should know instantly if they aren't blagging it. If nothing you'll see if they're prepared and have their own info to hand

But depending on the type of position, get them to do a work test first that they can email back to you before the interview so you have something to talk over...obviously that might not apply to all jobs, but engineering/IT ones it can work pretty well. Just a quick application of thought, rather than a full out problem to solve, something that can be done over lunch kind of deal.