Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Money versus quality of life

Money versus quality of life

Old May 15th 2011, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money versus quality of life

It all comes down to what you want out of life? Do you want to go home and earn a modest salary or just how important is money to you, have you saved enough for what you originally set out to do or are you being greedy? or do you actually enjoy being away from home so the money is just a bonus to working in some interesting places and having a bit of an adventure with yoru life? At the end of the day money comes and goes so you have to think why are you doing it- perhaps you actually like the challenge even though on a daily basis it might drive you mad but perhaps being at home becomes mundane after a while and would just drive you a different style of cuckoo.

It all comes down to what you want out of life, If you have enough money to give yourself future security then anything else is just gravy. I always say trust your gut- its rarely wrong.
Old May 15th 2011, 11:20 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Just put add another zero to the left of the decimal point and I am pretty much good to go....
Old May 15th 2011, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
It all comes down to what you want out of life? Do you want to go home .
Unfortunately going home is out of the question with the state of the industry in Ireland, I am really aiming for a place like Yemen I think good salary but still a bit wild.
Its the other offers that are appealing to my greedy side a little which are adding to the confusion.
Old May 15th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

well how long will it take you to regret giving into your greedy side? long enough to make it worth your while or will you end up moving before you've had a chacne for yoru first pay packet to go in?
Old May 15th 2011, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
well how long will it take you to regret giving into your greedy side? long enough to make it worth your while or will you end up moving before you've had a chacne for yoru first pay packet to go in?
I managed a year in KSA so I expect I can tough it out to some degree. The question seems to be now knowing how that was am I willing to do it again.

Its months away and things change, I was just curious mostly. Personally I don't really consider the UAE as being away as its basically like Europe. I know people don't think that's the case but anyone who has been in more difficult locations would agree with me.
Old May 15th 2011, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but if you have other options do you really want to 'tough it out'?

Life is too short!
Old May 15th 2011, 11:53 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

To some extent I agree with Weasel. Having spent time working in Africa and some of the less well developed countries in the ME coming back to Dubai is quite an easy deal. Decent infra, decent service, relatively low crime and safer (in terms of security), yes it is all relative and Dubai has it weaknesses / problems / issues but on whole the it is better than most of the other options there are locally (geographically speaking).

I have no intention of returning to the UK anytime soon so for me Dubai acts as the bench mark when measuring the cost and my willingness to move to another location. I.e. what would my standard of living be like compared to Dubai and what is the cost for me to give that up to go work in XXX, YYY, ZZZ…..

Last edited by Welivehere; May 15th 2011 at 11:59 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
I managed a year in KSA so I expect I can tough it out to some degree. The question seems to be now knowing how that was am I willing to do it again.

Its months away and things change, I was just curious mostly. Personally I don't really consider the UAE as being away as its basically like Europe. I know people don't think that's the case but anyone who has been in more difficult locations would agree with me.
The U.A.E is the easiest tour on the circuit end of .
Old May 16th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
To some extent I agree with Weasel. Having spent time working in Africa and some of the less well developed countries in the ME coming back to Dubai is quite an easy deal. Decent infra, decent service, relatively low crime and safer (in terms of security), yes it is all relative and Dubai has it weaknesses / problems / issues but on whole the it is better than most of the other options there are locally (geographically speaking).

I have no intention of returning to the UK anytime soon so for me the Dubai acts as the bench mark when measuring the cost and my willingness to move to another location. I.e. what would my standard of living be like compared to Dubai and what is the cost for me to give that up to go work in XXX, YYY, ZZZ…..
Dubai's the best place in the region without a shadow of a doubt but the only problem is as you probably know is that if your benchmark is Dubai then everything is downhill from there.

Personally i wouldn't class it as a benchmark as you basically can't get above it in this region , that's why a lot of expats cry foul when moving to another M.E location , they think Dubai's the norm , it's not it's the exception !
Old May 16th 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Dubai's the best place in the region without a shadow of a doubt but the only problem is as you probably know is that if your benchmark is Dubai then everything is downhill from there.

Personally i wouldn't class it as a benchmark as you basically can't get above it in this region , that's why a lot of expats cry foul when moving to another M.E location , they think Dubai's the norm , it's not it's the exception !
Valid point, however for me however to judge or measure I need a stable point to measure against. I use Dubai as; I was recruited to come to Dubai, my co’s head office is here and as I have spent longer here than anywhere else. Dubai is a standard to which we have become accustomed with a cost of living I understand and am compensated for. If therefore you want / expect me to go elsewhere then I will but for the current time you will pay me for what I interpret I will give up / lose…

Just my way of looking at things and purely based on this region, a move to back Europe or Far East (or new employer) would be a whole different ball game …..
Old May 16th 2011, 12:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The U.A.E is the easiest tour on the circuit end of .
Good. I've never really been one for roughing it.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you mean, I was coming from the perspective that usually I have no expenses in terms of housing or transport in my expat location. So the multiple of the salary is just the premium to work in that location to cover the expected horror.
Especially in KSA
Ah yes. I still have the joys of all those expenses back in the UK...
Old May 16th 2011, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
Good. I've never really been one for roughing it.
In the construction business depending on what part you are involved in there is going to be elements of roughing it from time to time.

Its unlikely a gas field in PNG will see the need for IFAs for a while, the parasitic industries come much further down the line.

just kidding
Old May 16th 2011, 1:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

In the construction business depending on what part you are involved in there is going to be elements of roughing it from time to time.

Its unlikely a gas field in PNG will see the need for IFAs for a while, the parasitic industries come much further down the line.

just kidding
And this is a Good Thing.

Love from your favourite parasite
Old May 16th 2011, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Ah yes. I still have the joys of all those expenses back in the UK...
Well its an inexact science some people inexplicably like KSA but in general the favourites are similar except how much it will take to go to a bad location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.