A level results

Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A level results

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
when I did mine everybody did 3 A'Levels plus General Studies
some Oxbridge-bound students managed 4th A'Level

now you see a lot of students doing 5-6 A'Levels. that shows they are easier.

think the same has happened at Uni as well though. When I did my first degree less than 10pct got 2.1's. now the majority of students seem to get them.
I think it's the internet.

People are able to use computers and research topics much quicker than having to use crappy school/public libraries for info/quotes.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it's the internet.

People are able to use computers and research topics much quicker than having to use crappy school/public libraries for info/quotes.
So you reckon teenage boys are using the internet for their school studies?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
These days, they are taught to 'reason' and 'opine' and 'discuss', but they definitely know less in factual terms.
Which is a good thing. Being able to 'reason' and 'opine' and 'discuss' are skills which are carried through life. Learning facts that are forgotten the day after the exam is pointless.

I remember when I sat my A levels this debate had already started and people were saying the same then. It's probably true, and I admit that I always used very old (mid 80s) past papers to practice on for this very reason. However, this is a debate that has gone on, to my knowledge, for at least 14 years and it's boring.

In today's world you don't have to know everything... you just need to know where to look.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 7th 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So you reckon teenage boys are using the internet for their school studies?
I just hope the girls are looking at the same. A generation of nypmhs for when I hit my mid life crisis is no bad thing.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I just hope the girls are looking at the same. A generation of nypmhs for when I hit my mid life crisis is no bad thing.
All well and good provided you'll look like a really fit 20-year old when you're there. Like me.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:07 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
when I did mine everybody did 3 A'Levels plus General Studies
some Oxbridge-bound students managed 4th A'Level

now you see a lot of students doing 5-6 A'Levels. that shows they are easier.
As already said, I did 5+General Studies. To be fair though, I did Maths and GS a year early, and crammed Further Maths into a year.

My results would have been massively improved had I taken off to Germany for a month in the summer after Lower 6th. Ho hum.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Which is a good thing. Being able to 'reason' and 'opine' and 'discuss' are skills which are carried through life. Learning facts that are forgotten the day after the exam is pointless.

I remember when I sat my A levels this debate had already started and people were saying the same then. It's probably true, and I admit that I always used very old (mid 80s) past papers to practice on for this very reason. However, this is a debate that has gone on, to my knowledge, for at least 14 years and it's boring.

In today's world you don't have to know everything... you just need to know where to look.
But what's the point of exams if they are easy (which some undoubtedly are). I don't care about knowing where to look.........

"Do you have any qualifications or experience?"
"No, but I can use Google."
"Fine - the job's yours..............."

No thanks - knowledge and education are a good thing in their own right.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
But what's the point of exams if they are easy (which some undoubtedly are). I don't care about knowing where to look.........

"Do you have any qualifications or experience?"
"No, but I can use Google."
"Fine - the job's yours..............."

No thanks - knowledge and education are a good thing in their own right.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I never said exams should be easy - but they should not be about rote learning either - they should test the ability to think and apply knowledge to unfamiliar situations. How much of the material you have rote learnt in obtaining various qualifications have you actually used later in life?

I would much rather someone saying - 'oh, I know a little bit about that, let me find out more and come back to you with the answer' over 'no, sorry, I don't know how to do that - do you have a template I can fill in'