Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive over here

Learning to drive over here

Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Re: Learning to drive over here

Probably better to do this in the UK, regardless when, where and for how long you can use a UAE licence. The driving standards are really low. Everytime hubby wants to drive in the UK, I have to take the keys off him. It would only be a matter of time before he starts totting up those points. He is so used to the UAE driving style, no wonder I'm going grey. Besides, taxis are really cheap there.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll repeat myself. You cannot take a driving test in the UK if you are not resident.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556 - See section headed 'Taking a driving test'
-
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:08 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
OK, I'll repeat myself. You cannot take a driving test in the UK if you are not resident.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556 - See section headed 'Taking a driving test'
-
you apparently can't see Doctors either but that didn't stop us on two occasions when visiting the UK. I know loads of people who have gone from here and done there tests then come back here and converted to UAE licenses. Mainly 18 year olds before starting UNI etc and they have never had a problem.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you apparently can't see Doctors either but that didn't stop us on two occasions when visiting the UK. I know loads of people who have gone from here and done there tests then come back here and converted to UAE licenses. Mainly 18 year olds before starting UNI etc and they have never had a problem.
A question of legality/validity? The application form states you should be UK resident too.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

When you attend a driving test, your only requirements are to produce both parts of your provisional driving licence, passport for identification, vehicle documents, application papers, and training course papers where applicable. As long as you are a UK citizen and a UK passport holder, a temporary address may be given, normally that of the owner on the vehicle registration, or relative/friend. This address will however be recorded on your driving licence, and licence renewals will be sent here.
As licences are now to be renewed every 10 years with a new photograph, believe me, this is so much easier.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:56 am
Bored liberal

If you refer to the government website you will see that it clearly states that you must be a UK resident to take a driving test. I fail to see what isn't clear about that. Of course, anyone can buck the system if they have no concern about potential consequences like invalid insurance etc...

Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

If you refer to the government website you will see that it clearly states that you must be a UK resident to take a driving test. I fail to see what isn't clear about that. Of course, anyone can buck the system if they have no concern about potential consequences like invalid insurance etc...

so how and why do so many people do it? I have never heard of one person having any comeback ever. It is quite common chat amongst all the 17 year olds going back to UK to attain their driving licences. Problems is with the UK they say one thing then do another. I have repeatedly been told that you can't get treatment on the NHS, that is bollocks as well.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:00 pm
Bored liberal

so how and why do so many people do it? I have never heard of one person having any comeback ever. It is quite common chat amongst all the 17 year olds going back to UK to attain their driving licences. Problems is with the UK they say one thing then do another. I have repeatedly been told that you can't get treatment on the NHS, that is bollocks as well.
Getting free treatment on the NHS is not a legal issue, whereas lying about residency for a driving test can have other consequences.

I really don't know why people do it, but am simply pointing out the pitfalls.

Edit - If you check the websites of the various NHS trusts you will see that they state that non-residents are not entitled to free medical treatment. Either no-one is checking or people are claiming to be resident. Whether it is right or not is another issue altogether.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:03 pm
Concierge

Getting free treatment on the NHS is not a legal issue, whereas lying about residency for a driving test can have other consequences.

I really don't know why people do it, but am simply pointing out the pitfalls.
maybe people aren't aware of the pitfalls, it is the first I have ever heard of it, you know the parents of some the kids who have done this. They have never been asked if they lived overseas even.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:05 pm
Bored liberal

maybe people aren't aware of the pitfalls, it is the first I have ever heard of it, you know the parents of some the kids who have done this. They have never been asked if they lived overseas even.
From a legal point of view that is no excuse, as the information is easily available and printed on the test application forms. I suspect no one asked as Brits tend to assume they are entitled to all sorts of things despite not having lived in the country or paid taxes for 20 years.

*shrugs*
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

THe issue - as I see it - is what constitutes 'residency'.

We still have our house in the UK, pay the council tax, the utility bills , own a car, are registered to vote, and have valid UK passports. For many organisations, this would be sufficient for 'proof' of residency.

Whereas for KSA, all I have is an Iqama, car registration and driving licence. I don't have anything with my 'home' address, as the company pays the rent and the bills.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
THe issue - as I see it - is what constitutes 'residency'.

We still have our house in the UK, pay the council tax, the utility bills , own a car, are registered to vote, and have valid UK passports. For many organisations, this would be sufficient for 'proof' of residency.

Whereas for KSA, all I have is an Iqama, car registration and driving licence. I don't have anything with my 'home' address, as the company pays the rent and the bills.
And what do you tell HMRC?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I tell them I live and work abroad!!

Last edited by nottmbantam; Apr 25th 2011 at 12:45 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:56 pm
Bored liberal

May I suggest that you can't have it both ways then?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:16 pm
Concierge

May I suggest that you can't have it both ways then?
so what are you supposed to do ? am I missing something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.