British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Learning to drive over here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/learning-drive-over-here-714436/)

Spugsy Apr 24th 2011 9:30 am

Learning to drive over here

Guess I might as well like,

any recommendations on who to use etc?

ta.

Millsyisland Apr 24th 2011 9:38 am

Re: Learning to drive over here

Are there any 'Western' driving instructors here?? I often have to travel through areas here in Abu Dhabi which seem to be a haven for driving instructors and it seems most of them learned their 'skills' in downtown Mumbai or Baghdad.

Correct signalling at roundabouts, correct lane discipline, signalling in general etc seems to be completely alien, so if the instructors don't know how to drive, what hope is there for the learner?

Good luck though Spugsy, I expect you will bring some common sense into the equation too though, so you'll already be one step ahead......

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2011 9:41 am

www.bdc.ae, had a friend who used BDC, you should sail through it, there used to be a minimum of 40 lessons rule though at one time, not sure if it is the same now.

kittycat1 Apr 24th 2011 9:43 am

Would it not be better to go back to the Uk and do an intensive course, at least then your license is also valid in blighty.

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9323216)
Would it not be better to go back to the Uk and do an intensive course, at least then your license is also valid in blighty.

I am sure you can use a UAE licence in the UK, my husband uses his when he hires cars :)

Meow Apr 24th 2011 9:44 am

As far as I am aware you have to be UK resident to take a UK test. A UAE licence is also valid in the UK (& worldwide).

Norm_uk Apr 24th 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9323219)
I am sure you can use a UAE licence in the UK, my husband uses his when he hires cars :)

I've driven on a UAE license in three different countries. The UK will allow you to use a UAE license for up to a year - after that you'd have to take the UK test.

N.

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9323255)
I've driven on a UAE license in three different countries. The UK will allow you to use a UAE license for up to a year - after that you'd have to take the UK test.

N.

that should do Spugsy just fine then :thumbsup:

lionheart Apr 24th 2011 10:56 am

The UK will allow you to use a UAE license for up to a year - after that you'd have to take the UK test. N.

That's worth knowing, especially when the employment contract finishes here and one has to seriously consider returning to blighty.:thumbup: Not really sure why Spugsy should automatically "sail through" the UAE driving test if he has never driven before. I know people with full driving licences back in their home countries, who have failed countless times over here. Sadly, the standard of testing here is even less reliable than the quality of the instructors.

Spugsy Apr 24th 2011 11:11 am

No.

People keep saying this.

I'd need a week off work, would cost me over a thousand quid, i'd have to drive every day which would mean no hangovers or anything, just a week off work learning to drive - sounds utterly shite.

Spugsy Apr 24th 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9323219)

you can use your DXB licence to hire cars, but if I went back I could only use it for a year then I'd need to re-do it.

But if I'm going to be here for another few years then I might as well do it here.

Blue Cat Apr 24th 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9323293)
you can use your DXB licence to hire cars, but if I went back I could only use it for a year then I'd need to re-do it.

But if I'm going to be here for another few years then I might as well do it here.

exactly and then cross the UK bridge when you come to it :)

nottmbantam Apr 24th 2011 12:00 pm

:ohmy:

Don't know about Doobye, but the driving standards here at just absolutely f.cuking insane. I'd shudder at the thought of tying to learn how to drive out here in KSA.

Hope your place is much more conducive, good luck to you.

JulesinDXB Apr 24th 2011 3:12 pm

Hey Spugsy, I'm currently doing my motorcycle (yes yes I know!!!) license at Al Ahli in Al Quoz. They seem pretty good and because they have a branch of the RTA attached to them, they can do everything there. It's a one stop shop.

Be aware though, that obviously if you don't have a UK license already, they're going to make you do a ridiculous amount of lessons - it's mandatory and not just when your instructor thinks you're ready.

I have a UK and UAE car license and have been driving nearly 20 years, but because I have no bike experience I have to do 30 lessons - which is bananas.

Been to the lectures I need and it's all pretty easy.

Kim67 Apr 25th 2011 12:10 am

N.

Doesn't the UK allow you to keep your UK license even when you hold one in another country? We renewed our Australian licenses from Dubai (kept an Aussie PO Box) and then had both UAE and Australian.

To Spugsy, I reckon you should do it in the UK, I know quite a few people that have had lessons and taken their test in Dubai and they weren't exactly competent on the road when they'd finished.....and they were all failed the first time they took their test. One of the friends kids had his mums car impounded within a month of having his license and had $5k worth of fines. I don't think he'll ever live that one down poor kid.