Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Kuwati parliamentary candidate - "Sex slaves should be legal"

Kuwati parliamentary candidate - "Sex slaves should be legal"

Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwati parliamentary candidate - "Sex slaves should be legal"

Atheism is more a lack of ideology than anything else. It is a lack of belief in a deity. The term is from ancient Greek and means 'without god'. You can have nice atheists and bad atheists just as you can with any person.

Some athesits may have adopted certain ideologies, but the only thing all atheists have in common is the lack of belief in a god. Most of us don't have a void that we need to fill with another belief system.

To suggest that we are all colonialists is utterly disingenuous and rather insulting. It's like suggesting that all Muslims are terrorists.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:10 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Atheism is believing in one fewer god than the Abrahamic monotheists who don't believe in the several hundred other gods out there.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:29 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Atheism is believing in one fewer god than the Abrahamic monotheists who don't believe in the several hundred other gods out there.
But there is quite a difference between believing in one god to believing in no gods.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
To suggest that we are all colonialists is utterly disingenuous and rather insulting. It's like suggesting that all Muslims are terrorists.
Sorry Meow, no offence was intended. I agree not all atheists are colonialists but sadly most colonialists are atheists

Last edited by sherri; Jun 9th 2011 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

At least the National had the self-respect to call it what it actually is- sex slaves.

An insignificant MP in a retarded country. Shows you what kind of subhuman scum the islamofascist groups are in the UK. This is what they all dream of - in secret.

Those animals would happily execute all the rulers in the arab world, so you can imagine what they have in mind for the rest of the world...
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:56 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
But there is quite a difference between believing in one god to believing in no gods.
Of course. The point of that rather mangled quote (don't recall the source) is that there essentially ain't much difference between believing in one god or no gods...and that choosing one out of all the hundreds available is actually a bit silly.

Something like that.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:37 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Kuwati parliamentary candidate - "Sex slaves should be legal"

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The problem is religious texts are never updated, nowhere does it include the paradoxes of the double slit experiment and wave/particle duality of electrons, the origin of species etc., the best explanation religion can give is “…Lord works in mysterious ways” but answering a statement with a proposition is rarely going to be satisfactory .

They weren’t thinking of the future when they wrote these books, no one was prepared for needing an updated second edition (Now includes quantum mechanics and a modernised code of morality ).
Sent to me today:
Why God would never get tenure:

He only had one publication.
It was in Hebrew.
It had no references.
It wasn't published in a refereed journal.
Some even doubt he wrote it himself.
The scientific community has a hard time replicating his results.
He never applied to an ethics board for permission to use human subjects.
When one experiment went awry, he covered it up by drowning the subjects.
When subjects didn't behave as desired, he deleted them from the sample.
He rarely came to class, and instead told students to read the book.
Some say he had his son teach the class.
He expelled his first two students for learning.
Although there were only 10 requirements, most students failed his tests.
Failing students were treated harshly.
It may be true that he created the world, but what has he done recently?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:47 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of God, hence it is an ideology.
I don't believe in god. I don't reject a belief in god, I just don't believe.

I also don't believe in: fairies, ghosts, pink unicorns, Margaret Thatcher, the sustainability of petrol prices in the GCC, colonialism, unrestrained free markets or the tooth fairy. Do you need to give me titles to sum up my lack of belief in each one of those, too?

Atheism is the absence, not rejection, of belief. It's only a big deal to those who do believe.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:02 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical

I also don't believe in: fairies, ghosts, pink unicorns, Margaret Thatcher, the sustainability of petrol prices in the GCC, colonialism, unrestrained free markets or the tooth fairy. Do you need to give me titles to sum up my lack of belief in each one of those, too?

Atheism is the absence, not rejection, of belief. It's only a big deal to those who do believe.
You forgot to mention Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and a free lunch..

In terms of atheism I think you hit the nail on the head, it's about absence of belief not the rejection of it. Personally I am open to believing there may be something out there, I just don't see why it needs to dictate how I live my life!!

I also believe there may be aliens out there so there you go (actually what if the historical references to gods were actually aliens visiting earth?).....
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Excellent response, and thanks for just proving how right I am about my 'beliefs' and ‘pestering’. Anyway, back to square one, I only believe in one belief/philosophy, live and let live. Don’t question, and if you care than make sure you’re a subject matter expert or at least understand the fact that other perceptions/observations also exists beyond your very own.

The above would probably not make any sense unless you’ve read my previous posts (various threads) on this subject. I respect your viewpoint and I am very happy to buy a house next door.

Also, please accept my apologies in advance if this may offend you – it’s not the intention, the ‘non-believing’ community has been trying for some time to take over our liberty to make informed decisions just like the Abrahamic monotheists and please do not tell me that it’s a wrong observation as I have buckets full of evidence to prove em’ wrong. It's only a big deal to those who do believe and do not believe.

Last edited by sherri; Jun 11th 2011 at 8:43 am.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
You forgot to mention Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and a free lunch..
Gutted, you beat me to it
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:44 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a strategy consultant, of course I believe in a free lunch
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

and fairies, I would happily jump off the Burj if this was not true about strategy consultants . We usually clean-up the mess fostered by strategy consultants

P.S: Change of plan, I am not going to buy a house next door to you. Chances are that it would turn out to be a disaster and being a supreme prudent it’s not worth the risk.

Last edited by sherri; Jun 11th 2011 at 9:03 am.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by sherri
and fairies, I would happily jump off the Burj if this was not true about strategy consultants . We usually clean-up the mess fostered by strategy consultants

Half the business of strategy consultants is cleaning up the mess left by other strategy consultants - or, quite often, a mess due to the blind belief in the strategies left behind by them years ago which are still being followed despite fundamental changes in the nature of the business.

I really don't believe in fairies, and I hope that even if a client were to offer my firm several million dollars to do a study into fairies I'd still tell them there probaly aren't any fairies (but here's what to do if fairies suddenly appear)...
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:37 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

As a consultant (never mind in the area of strategy) you probably believe in a lot of things that cannot be proven as part of your job..

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-there-suc...free-lunch.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.