Kuwait

Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Kuwait

All,

Planning a trip to Kuwait to see some people, handle some business, throw stones at Iran, you know, the usual.

Can I just turn up, wave the British passport and wander in or do I need to pre-arrange a visa?

UKCityGent - I'm assuming you'll be placed to answer this easily please, sir?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kuwait

Visa shop before immigration, dont get the VIP visa as it is usually slower. Sometimes cost is 3KD sometimes 6KD last time was free for Brits.

Can take some time if it is busy, you also need some Kuwaiti cash if you have to pay.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:47 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to get a visa on arrival from the desk upstairs where you arrive before going downstairs to go through immigration. Shouldn't be a big deal except for two things. You need cash as it costs some money (though I can't remember how much) and they wouldn't take a card. And ATMs in Kuwait don't necessarily work with international cards (only place I've encountered this recently). Of course it is a big pain if you only discover this after standing in the immigration queue for 30 minutes only to be sent back upstairs for your visa... Signage, information and layout in the airport is poor so you have to hunt around a bit.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was there last week - visa was free. Take a photocopy of your passport as this is where the first (and larger) queue is.

Walk up to the desk, get a ticket and wait.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

As bove - officially visa is usually 3KD for UK passports on arrival (depends how efficient the guys are feeling). There is a cash machine opposite and you can use most cards (from ME).

When you land the immigration desk on the top floor (but sometimes you land at the gate outside the visa desk !)

Depends where you will stay - personally i would recommend the Marina hotel as the marina mall is outside the hotel and its central to Salmiya and Kuwait City.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
As bove - officially visa is usually 3KD for UK passports on arrival (depends how efficient the guys are feeling). There is a cash machine opposite and you can use most cards (from ME).

When you land the immigration desk on the top floor (but sometimes you land at the gate outside the visa desk !)

Depends where you will stay - personally i would recommend the Marina hotel as the marina mall is outside the hotel and its central to Salmiya and Kuwait City.
Thanks mate, and other responses. All very useful.

Probably just fly in / fly out but haven't looked at times yet and that's assuming it's only a couple of hours flight from Dubai.

Will probably come back with more Q's but thanks for time being.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks mate, and other responses. All very useful.

Probably just fly in / fly out but haven't looked at times yet and that's assuming it's only a couple of hours flight from Dubai.

Will probably come back with more Q's but thanks for time being.
It's a very doable (albeit a bit short) day trip on Emirates.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent

Agree with above but I was there last week and the visa was free for UK passports. This is a change from a few months ago when it was 3KD. There is now a photo and fingerprint machine for those who look dodgy!

Marina Hotel gets my vote too - you will be able to see and hear the Kuwaiti driving in the early hours though! Lots of cruisers in this area and FJ Cruisers by the dozen.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

If you can throw stones at Iran from Kuwait, you should have no trouble winning a medal at the olympics.