Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

changing dirhams in the UK

changing dirhams in the UK

Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:28 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default changing dirhams in the UK

Can anyone tell me if I can change dirhams in the UK? I have been in Egypt for nearly a year and was expecting to return to Dubai, but am returning to the Uk now and have around 25k dhm, can I just take them to a bank? I can exchange them here but only for egyptian pounds and have no bank account here.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changing dirhams in the UK

You should be able to at major banks, but you'll get a lousy exchange rate as it is not a desirable currency there. Far better to do an online transfer with a currency exchange company.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

mandm65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't agree more with Meow, i got burnt once and said never again!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Last week a new shop opened on the high street here (Wales) and it was one of those gold buying shops. I went in to ask if would buy old mobiles, the ones bought in the UAE which tend to die on a regular basis. There was a sign saying they do currency exchange, lo and behold there was dirhams!!!
No comission and a reasonable rate, better than the banks. If you can get that in Wales, you can get it anywhere.
Oh, and they do buy the old mobiles too.