know anyone leaving?

Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: know anyone leaving?

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Surprised there's so many Europhiles here given the hindsight following the vote to leave.

- Doomsday scenarios failing to materialise
- Plenty of success stories and investment in the UK #despitebrexit
- Strong employment figures and the pound bouncing back
- Bullying tactics from the EU against other member states
- EU acting more like a mafia racket
- Explicitly stating the desire to become a 'United States of Europe' and all that would bring...

Of course there's still uncertainty and it is far from perfect (with a terrible negotiating team and government...) however I feel it will be positive for the long term, especially if Rees-Mogg is at the helm!
These sorts of posts make me chuckle. Take your points one-by-one.....

Emotional.
Unsubstantiated and emotional.
Inflation? Can't wait for these interest rate rises eh.
Emotional.
Emotional.
Emotional.

Your points are just guff aren't they?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:17 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

especially if Rees-Mogg is at the helm!
Really? REALLY? A 19th Century throwback who stands to gain massively from a hard Brexit? A man who is anti-abortion but who invests in abortion pill-making companies? A man who thinks the existence of foodbanks is "uplifting"?

I don't get this desire to take Britain back to Victorian times. It's pure fantasy and will leave us all looking very silly. And it could well destroy the Union (not the European one).
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:18 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The majority of those that voted. Not the majority of the people. Just to clarify your point.
The majority of those that were ALLOWED to vote, to be even more clear.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
These sorts of posts make me chuckle. Take your points one-by-one.....

Emotional.
Unsubstantiated and emotional.
Inflation? Can't wait for these interest rate rises eh.
Emotional.
Emotional.
Emotional.

Your points are just guff aren't they?
And you seem quite emotional too So where's the guff coming from? After all, one can't deny unemployment is literally at rock bottom, can we? If I were to write a proper rebuttal I'd talk about Japanese industry's threat to withdraw from the UK if we don't keep single market access as a harbinger of things to come if I am to take you seriously. I'm pragmatic enough to know there are risks to the withdrawal and would be willing to have a reasonable discussion about it but one can't do so if the other side keeps shouting the sky is falling and refuse to acknowledge that the EU has many systematic flaws that can potentially justify why the 17+ million and 52% of the 72% turnout (thank you Millhouse) voted to leave and that there may just be more to life than the sanctity of the national economy....
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:24 am
Excess Baggage

Bored now. Can we go back to talking about how Dubai is ****ed?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Ok, let's be honest here. If the results had been opposite, 52% remain and 48% leave, what do you think would be going on? Do you think there would be any conciliatory talks towards the 48% minority and discussions on how meaningful reform could occur to help the 48% minority have greater confidence in the EU and the UK's role in the EU and even promises that there wouldn't be further integration?

No, of course not. They'd be told to shut up, they lost, the EU is the future and there's no going back and laughed at as angry bitter old men

The problem is that the EU was a binary situation. There is no satisfactory third way as the EU won't allow one (FOM being the sore point that the UK and EU cannot compromise over). It's either in the EU or out of the EU. Winner takes all. It is not possible to have this be a non-binary situation with multiple options, and all the attempts of the past year by May et al to try to seek a third way compromise is only increasingly inching towards the cold hard realities of a hard Brexit.

Ah, good old FOM. If it hadn't been for FOM we wouldn't have left the EU. That, more than anything else, represents the arrogance and folly of politicians and their ideological egos.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Feb 12th 2018 at 9:29 am.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

But take FOM, it's an interesting issue, because it wasn't an absolute freedom, .
Freedom of movement also seems intrinsic to having having a free market economy, I can't see how you can support one but not the other.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it would be the majority of those that were allowed to vote and did vote.

DXB is on the spectrum and requires absolute clarity so let’s get this right.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:37 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ok, let's be honest here. If the results had been opposite, 52% remain and 48% leave, what do you think would be going on? Do you think there would be any conciliatory talks towards the 48% minority and discussions on how meaningful reform could occur to help the 48% minority have greater confidence in the EU and the UK's role in the EU and even promises that there wouldn't be further integration?

No, of course not. They'd be told to shut up, they lost, the EU is the future and there's no going back and laughed at as angry bitter old men

Ultimately, the problem is that the EU was a binary situation. There really is no satisfactory third way as the EU won't allow one (FOM being the sore point that the UK and EU cannot compromise over). It's either in the EU or out of the EU. Winner takes all. It is not possible to have this be a non-binary situation with multiple options, and all the attempts of the past year by May et al to try to seek a third way compromise is only increasingly inching towards the cold hard realities of a hard Brexit.

Ah, good old FOM. If it hadn't been for FOM we wouldn't have left the EU. That, more than anything else, represents the arrogance and folly of politicians and their ideological egos.
Stop dragging me in with your BS!

If it had been the other way with the same score, Farage would have kept on at it. He said as much before. I'm sure we'd have carried on much the same way. What wouldn't have happened is the government taking such a close result as the "Will of the people" and taking us fully in to a federal superstate and jettisoning all our vetoes, joining Schengen (real FOM/no border!) and scrapping the pound!

The referendum should have never been a binary question. There are options like Norway and Switzerland. You can't tell me honestly that every one of the 17m who voted Leave knew exactly what it entailed, that they all voted for the same version of Brexit. Saying otherwise is just downright revisionism. Not even the government thought about the Irish border issue beforehand.

Also such referenda with massive constitutional change involved usually have a supermajority in place as well, like 65% having to agree before it goes ahead. All this points to the whole thing being a badly-conceived and hastily arranged means to shut up the margins of the Tory party and hold on to power!

Last edited by littlejimmy; Feb 12th 2018 at 9:42 am.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:39 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Freedom of movement also seems intrinsic to having having a free market economy, I can't see how you can support one but not the other.
We don't have an absolutely free market as we didn't have absolute FOM. There are restrictions on what you can buy and how much you can buy. Go and try to buy me a dead elephant stuffed with cocaine in the EU if you don't believe me.

EDIT: See what happens? I got you mixed up with ExpatAl and thought you were arguing with me... I got all confuddled and I apologise for my spiky tone.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Feb 12th 2018 at 9:54 am.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:41 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Actually it would be the majority of those that were allowed to vote and did vote.

DXB is on the spectrum and requires absolute clarity so let’s get this right.
I'm ready to shoot myself. I don't know why I let myself get sucked in. Slow work day...only punctuated by random emails from people trying to replace me with me...
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised there's so many Europhiles here given the hindsight following the vote to leave.

- Doomsday scenarios failing to materialise
- Plenty of success stories and investment in the UK #despitebrexit
- Strong employment figures and the pound bouncing back
- Bullying tactics from the EU against other member states
- EU acting more like a mafia racket
- Explicitly stating the desire to become a 'United States of Europe' and all that would bring...

Of course there's still uncertainty and it is far from perfect (with a terrible negotiating team and government...) however I feel it will be positive for the long term, especially if Rees-Mogg is at the helm!
WE HAVEN'T ****ING LEFT YET.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm pragmatic enough to know there are risks to the withdrawal and would be willing to have a reasonable discussion
I'm genuinely all ears, so for 4th time in this thread, what's the plan?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Little Jimmy...

Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:58 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.