Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

It's "that" controversial birthday card......

It's "that" controversial birthday card......

Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's "that" controversial birthday card......

A few years ago I was shopping in a large Tesco store when I came across a family with a daughter who looked about 13-14 years old wearing a T-shirt with a shocking print. As a father myself, but even searching inside me back to before I was, it was unacceptable at any time.

The print was of a horizontal ruler, marked with 0 to 6 inches, and the text, boys, don't bother talking to me unless you measure up" (or something very similar)

Note: on the card above, I didn't expect that. I was expecting a "To the person(s) legally responsible for raising me". Something that I saw with class craft made cards in certain schools in deprived areas where 80% of the kids had only one parent and that the needs of the 20% who wanted to write "To Mummy and Daddy" were steamrollered to protect the emotional state of the 80%.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
No. Its a Hallmark Card, and if they're still making it available for sale, its their problem. (On the other hand, if it was distributed before they bought the company, then its not their problem.) Either way, how can you apologise on behalf of a company that ceased to exist over 15 years ago? Smacks to me on Hallmark not being man enough to apologise...

BTW, what's wrong with the Brooklands? (Genuine question--I don't know anything about them.)
Yeah, I get your point. Still a bit peverse to print such a card and sell it.

The Brooklands was the first one I saw on Wikipedia that was sold pre-1998 VW buyout (and incidentally sold again post-buy out). And it looks stupid.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

I was more offended by the poor grammar, to be honest.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:59 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Not for those easily offended (well, actually not even for those who are difficult to offend):

Spoiler:
I don't get the diamonds and rubies bit. Surely a pearl necklace would be more appropriate.
That's disgusting. I'm outraged!

Spoiler: