Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The inspire my life thread...

The inspire my life thread...

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:13 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The inspire my life thread...

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Ok back off people.

I asked Weasel a question. It could very well be that he's not interested in marriage or suburbia or children. But I posed the question because the tone of his original post implied that the exoticism of working in high risk environments wasn't so endearing anymore.

A lot of men in Weasel's industry woke up in their 40s and 50s and realised they wanted the conventional after all. And went for it as quickly as they could via finding a Filipina wife because all the good western women were already taken or having become so used to the inequality (by western standards) of eastern relationships they couldn't hack it with a western woman anymore.

So - to Weasel, do you think that you're in danger of going down this path? You're growing bored with the nature of your work and the areas of operation. If you stay with the same type of jobs/countries you're only delaying the inevitable crash/burn and midlife crisis to your late 40s/50s by which point your options for a conventionality (if you want it) is severely limited?

Or are you becoming aware that these job options at the moment represent a chance to change the potential direction of your life into something else? Do you really want to take the boring but safe but perhaps will allow me to find a nice wife/family before I'm too old? Or would you rather stick with the work hard party hard **** hard crowd for as long as you can?
so much nonsense in one post i'm not even going to begin to take it apart. Besides to have written it in the first place requires a level of ignorance and indoctrinated thinking well beyond my powers of persuasion.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:14 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
A balanced relationship needn't be purely material or on paper, but covering a range of intangible, emotional, intellectual things (as has been alluded to).
I think our little Scampi has grown up

I feel like a proud parent.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:16 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It's a big place - you don't have to do Sydney
True but now it's just a little bit too far away for me, it becomes almost emigration rather than working in a foreign country. My intention is always to end up in Ireland (my home country) at the end.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

me too, that was a lovely post from the youngest member of the bored.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
me too, that was a lovely post from the youngest member of the bored.
Hahaha you're too kind....plus, I haven't really grown up. I just asked if I can have my friend over to play Playstation and if we can get nuggets and chips for dinner.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha you're too kind....plus, I haven't really grown up. I just asked if I can have my friend over to play Playstation and if we can get nuggets and chips for dinner.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add one into the mix;

I earn more than my mrs. My families (separate 'rents) earn more than her families (separate 'rents as well) and whilst she's not 'working class' by background and attitude, she certainly is by family income (if that's possible?).

However, out of the two of us, she's the degree qualified, post-grad holding, looking-at-doing-a-masters professional.

She loves me, I love her and I never moan about paying for more than she does or buying more than she does because she's infinitely more thoughtful with her money than I often am (not always, I'm not a complete idiot).

Still, I do get the point that Ethos makes about relationships being equal...if I walked away from her now I'd expect to take almost every single bit of furniture and finishes in the apartment, because I bought it and I want it....I'm not saying I would but it does make the point that I've paid for / provided a lot of material things.......however, the equality balance comes from her ability to make it all look nice and make the apartment our home.

A balanced relationship needn't be purely material or on paper, but covering a range of intangible, emotional, intellectual things (as has been alluded to).
Good post there mate. All BS I know, but it'll charm the knickers off most women.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

A wise man once said to me: Son, if you want to have a happy time in life do the following: Change the important players in your life once every 7 years. Important players as , your car, your job, your house, your friends, but stop short of your family
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Rubble is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not just a wise man, that's a very wise man! wish I heard this 7 years ago.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by redShark
A wise man once said to me: Son, if you want to have a happy time in life do the following: Change the important players in your life once every 7 years. Important players as , your car, your job, your house, your friends, but stop short of your family
Does this mean you'll **** off in 6?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get that why would you class your friends in the same category as your car?

Life's what you make it, if your not happy and not content with not being happy then it's up to you to change it but you need to know what you want to achieve it. Sometimes you need a bit of just cruising time but if your done with that stick a rocket up your ass stop talking about it and get on with it.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I don't get that why would you class your friends in the same category as your car?

Life's what you make it, if your not happy and not content with not being happy then it's up to you to change it but you need to know what you want to achieve it. Sometimes you need a bit of just cruising time but if your done with that stick a rocket up your ass stop talking about it and get on with it.
Or placing your car first. Weird priorities.

Weasel, sounds like a mid life crisis which isn't necessarily a bad thing, a time to reassess where you are in life and what you really want. I do have sympathy with Ethos' point about a family as that does help some people bu,t judging by the ones who've run off with a bar 'model', not all.

Does list writing helping work with you ? How about a list of 10 things that make you happy and then a short, mid and long term plan incorporating those things.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by al dente

Does list writing helping work with you ? How about a list of 10 things that make you happy and then a short, mid and long term plan incorporating those things.
1. Furiously masturbating.

I bet you he doesn't make it to 2.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
He or you forgot to mention religion.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:40 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

1. Furiously masturbating.

I bet you he doesn't make it to 2.
A psychologist might say you are projecting your own thoughts on me there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.