Insomnia!

Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insomnia!

There is kind of a 4th M, which was recommended to be my a colleague but I've never tried it. Melotonin - apparently the hormone is released just before sleep so it goes that you take some and you feel sleepy. Naturally.

I won't do this as I'm not a big believer in taking hormone supplements. That said, the other 3Ms do somewhat create an endorphin rush so probably the same thing.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:32 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There is kind of a 4th M, which was recommended to be my a colleague but I've never tried it. Melotonin - apparently the hormone is released just before sleep so it goes that you take some and you feel sleepy. Naturally.

I won't do this as I'm not a big believer in taking hormone supplements. That said, the other 3Ms do somewhat create an endorphin rush so probably the same thing.
I have had problems with insomnia/poor sleep for years (ie about 20 years). I have tried various things:

1) Camomile tea - fairly weak option but helps relax before bed. Lavender on the pillow also helps some people, though I find it smells stale after a while and like an old ladies handkerchief!
2) Melatonin. I believe it's a natural option so not as major a ptoblem as prescription sleep drugs. I have used these in the past but find they send you to sleep but don't always keep you asleep. You can also become 'immune' to them if you take them over an extended period.
3) Prescribed sleeping tabs. In UAE you are limited to what docs will prescribe. I was given ones like Elephant tabs (ie not as big as an Elephant - just knocked me out like I had been hit by an Elephant).
4) On the odd occasion I might take Actifed which, although a cold remedy knocks you out pretty well. Not be be taken on a regular basis as it can be habit forming (as can many prescription sleeping drugs).

Mentally you also need to stop 'fighting' it when you wake up. Although it is irritating, this in itself will wake you further if you let it get to you. I just take the approach of 'Oh crap, here we go again, lets just get on with it and do the routine....'

I find that the best thing to do is try to get through the week, and then go for the Elephant tablets or Actifed at the weekend (don't plan any brunches the following day though as it leaves you drowsy the next morning and not good to drive - hence why I don't do this during a work week).

I generally find that if I can get 2 good nights at the weekend it helps to 'catch up' for the week.

Written by Victor at 2.30 am (third night in a row) with a 'get up' for work in 4 hours.....
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

And read by silver silver at 3 o'clock, who is awake and thinking ding ding I have to get up in two and a half hours!!! Thanks for all the good advice I will be taking it! :-)
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I got back from the UK at 1:00am and it took me 2 hours to clear passport control and queue for a cab. Got into bed at 0330 and asleep at 4.

That was on the 28/29. Last night was the first night that I didn't need an afternoon / evening 4 hour nap and then stay awake until 2-4am.

****ing hateful, hope you get it sorted.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I got back from the UK at 1:00am and it took me 2 hours to clear passport control and queue for a cab. Got into bed at 0330 and asleep at 4.

That was on the 28/29. Last night was the first night that I didn't need an afternoon / evening 4 hour nap and then stay awake until 2-4am.

****ing hateful, hope you get it sorted.
Come on people - it's only a 4 hour time difference!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a lot of people claiming jetlag from the UK. I don't get it either as it's just a few hours. You just change your watch and get on with it and avoid night flights if you have an issue.

Try a flight to/from the US if you want problems.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah but I kept napping (4-5 hours on the sofa in the evening). Killed me.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was going to be about certain goings-on at the aforenamed night club.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
I've seen a lot of people claiming jetlag from the UK. I don't get it either as it's just a few hours. You just change your watch and get on with it and avoid night flights if you have an issue.

Try a flight to/from the US if you want problems.
I often have to do the 9 hour shift to the US. From US to Dubai I can honestly say I get zero jet lag. Dubai to US I get a little but the 3Ms do work... I also think its about the time of flight you choose. I'm always tired when I get off a plane so arriving at night and going straight to bed (after the gym) seems to work for me.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:04 am
Account Closed

(after the gym).
Almost a believable post...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think he means a wrist workout.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I think he means a wrist workout.
I've always believed that man's best friend is not his dog but his right/left hand
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been known to be in the gym at 1am in DC my friend.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been known to be in the gym at 1am in DC my friend.
Somehow, this is how I imagine a gym at 1am...

Insomnia!-gym.jpg
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Somehow, this is how I imagine a gym at 1am...

Attachment 110437

I'm not keen on public gyms for many reasons, not least other people sweating all over everything, but sweaty, naked people and their bodily fluids - bleurgh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.