British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Insomnia! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/insomnia-782544/)

silversilver Jan 5th 2013 12:45 am

Insomnia!

Since returning to Dubai from the UK 3 days ago I have been unable to fall back into my usual sleep pattern and just can't sleep. Anybody got any suggestions?? Ps i know that logging on to expat forum probably isn't doing me any good!

Millhouse Jan 5th 2013 4:01 am

Re: Insomnia!

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10464867)
Since returning to Dubai from the UK 3 days ago I have been unable to fall back into my usual sleep pattern and just can't sleep. Anybody got any suggestions?? Ps i know that logging on to expat forum probably isn't doing me any good!

Follow the 3Ms.

Meals - make sure your eating pattern follows the new timezone
Movement - do some exercise
Masturbation - if all else fails.

Start this as soon as you can, on the plane.... maybe not the last one.

UKCityGent Jan 5th 2013 5:03 am

I sometimes get periods where i cant sleep and usually take a couple of tabs of magnesium and zinc with a glass of milk (for the calcium).

Irishbeekeeper Jan 5th 2013 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10465023)
Follow the 3Ms.

or maybe try all 3 at the same time
i tried that once, didnt get me to sleep but definitely got me places ;)

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2013 7:52 am

Panadol Nights :)

silversilver Jan 5th 2013 9:19 am

Seriously thinking about anything! I return to work tomorrow and in the past 48 hours have had about 5 hours proper sleep :-(

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2013 11:20 am

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10465294)
Seriously thinking about anything! I return to work tomorrow and in the past 48 hours have had about 5 hours proper sleep :-(

seriously get some Panadol nights, take one about an hour before bed

Bahtatboy Jan 5th 2013 12:10 pm

A friend swears by Night Nurse.

Paracletus Jan 5th 2013 12:26 pm

Try drinking alot of alcohol, without eating too much. Should make you pass out. Start early though.

claimsboys Jan 5th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10465023)
Follow the 3Ms.

Ha ha ha..............:rofl:

Meow Jan 5th 2013 12:41 pm

Insomnia is a horrible thing when it happens regularly. I suffer from it. If it's short term, then Panadol Nights (I need 2) may help bring sleep, but I'd advise against drinking much alcohol as it can lead to very broken sleep.

To try and 'fix' it, I suggest getting up early so you are physically tired in the evening. Have a bath, watch or read something relaxing and try not to fret about not sleeping as that can make it worse. Go to bed and think of nice relaxing things, breathe evenly and make sure you are comfortable.

A few nights won't cause any harm, but if it persists it can be a sign of other issues, such as depression or anxiety. Best to see a good GP for a check up and advice.

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10465487)
If it's short term, then Panadol Nights (I need 2)

Whilst it works well, I find it leaves me feeling stoned in the morning. I won't use them during the week.

Alexa Jan 5th 2013 5:20 pm

It may be a sign of peri menopause or menopause.

Millhouse Jan 5th 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10465786)
It may be a sign of peri menopause or menopause.

Is that a new dish at nandos?

Beakersful Jan 5th 2013 5:28 pm

I accidentally took some Panadol Nights recently, mistaking them for normal Panadol when I had flu and I was 'camping' at someones house (nothing compares to my wonderful bed at home). They actually say "drowsy" on the packet, and certainly did that! managed to sleep for 3hrs, awake for an hour, then sleep for another 3hrs. Better than nothing I guess.

The 3xM's, particularly the last, surely aren't something new in some Gulf countries for 'bachelors' :)