Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Indian Gang Rape and Death Penalty

Indian Gang Rape and Death Penalty

Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:51 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian Gang Rape and Death Penalty

Death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent, and miscarriages of justice will always happen when there are humans in charge of the process, so it's a no from me.

It's sad to see people queuing up to show how outraged they are by saying they would do this and that to the guilty men. I'm sure there's a Facebook group for such silliness. But on the other hand, as some have said, if it was my daughter, I'd want to make them suffer and die horribly. However, in a civilised society, justice has to be applied without any emotion and even-handedly.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent, and miscarriages of justice will always happen when there are humans in charge of the process, so it's a no from me.

It's sad to see people queuing up to show how outraged they are by saying they would do this and that to the guilty men. I'm sure there's a Facebook group for such silliness. But on the other hand, as some have said, if it was my daughter, I'd want to make them suffer and die horribly. However, in a civilised society, justice has to be applied without any emotion and even-handedly.
Agreed.

I don't doubt that we were all equally horrified by what happened to the poor girl. Wanting to kill someone for the crime (because you care more?!) is somewhat ironic.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:08 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Agreed.

I don't doubt that we were all equally horrified by what happened to the poor girl. Wanting to kill someone for the crime (because you care more?!) is somewhat ironic.
Think what most people have said is they would see them dead if it was their family member killed in that horrific way. I am totally against the death penalty unless guilt can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Way too many lifers releases after new evidence etc - they would of been dead 50 years ago
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Think what most people have said is they would see them dead if it was their family member killed in that horrific way. I am totally against the death penalty unless guilt can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt. Way too many lifers releases after new evidence etc - they would of been dead 50 years ago
But you cannot have a different rule for your family members. One justice system for all.

I totally understand why someone would want to take direct action if this happened to someone they knew, but the civilised world cannot work like that. On the flip side, I totally fail to understand how anyone could do that to another person. Such cases are both disturbing and depressing.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:37 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I totally fail to understand how anyone could do that to another person. Such cases are both disturbing and depressing.

In room 101 with FGM, Honour Killings and Indian & Chinese female baby murderers
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:41 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

In room 101 with FGM, Honour Killings and Indian & Chinese female baby murderers
Jeez, depressed enough already. Need more? Check out the Knoxville horror. DON'T.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:46 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Agreed.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:21 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Show me the evidence that the death penalty - anywhere, at any time - acts as a successful 'deterrent'.
Saudi Arabia, China, Japan.

But you can take this argument further and seek, wit the same. Result, for evidence that life sentence serves as a deterrent. Or 10 years. Or parking fines. Etc.

As I said, any punishment is there to act as a deterrent and we are only discussing severity of punishment.

Tell me Dean, if this was your kid would you rather a trial where the slime lawyer of the defendants was making allegations about her teasing the, etc or would you have a righteous revenge yourself? Like a man.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner

But you can take this argument further and seek, wit the same. Result, for evidence that life sentence serves as a deterrent. Or 10 years. Or parking fines. Etc.

As I said, any punishment is there to act as a deterrent and we are only discussing severity of punishment.

Tell me Dean, if this was your kid would you rather a trial where the slime lawyer of the defendants was making allegations about her teasing the, etc or would you have a righteous revenge yourself? Like a man.
No evidence of deterrent in those three countries - Saudi still routinely executes dozens per year, who clearly were not 'deterred' by the threat of execution. And I am quite sure that Saudi has a significant number of miscarriages of justice.

If it were 'my kid'? I'd want the perpetrators to be seen by the whole world for what they are, and for what they did to be what they will always be known for. You don't get that by beating the crap out of them - and even if I did, do you assume they would still not come to trial afterwards anyway? Pointless.

And............. 'like a man'?? Tell me you're not serious.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the death penalty is a deterrent, it is a punishment. If you are capable of such heinous crimes I don't think any deterrent would help, the violence of this rape is absolutely appauling. What these 'men' did was dispicable, I cried reading about it, the poor poor girl.

Do I support the death sentence- on one hand no, as miscarriages of justice can happen far too easily, that is the only reason, if they are guilty then yes absolutely they deserve to have their lives ended whether that be the death sentence or being locked away in a hole for the rest of their lives.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Like a man.
That's ridiculous.

Beating the shit out someone because they've wronged you does not make you a man. Letting women walk ahead, holding doors for other people, not being a violent imbecile (like the criminals in the story) etc make you a man.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:30 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

No matter how much money George Soros threw at it they did not find a single proven wrongly executed person.

So tell me, are parking tickets a deterrent? Because people still get them. What's the point? What's the point of financial punishments? Nothing works so let everyone walk away.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:31 am
Banned

Why do you think I'd beat the crap out of them? They'd be dead and only after a long session of having 230VAC connected to their balls.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

No matter how much money George Soros threw at it they did not find a single proven wrongly executed person.

So tell me, are parking tickets a deterrent? Because people still get them. What's the point? What's the point of financial punishments? Nothing works so let everyone walk away.
I don't think you can compare a 30 quid sticker on your car vs life in jail / death penalty.

Why do you think I'd beat the crap out of them? They'd be dead and only after a long session of having 230VAC connected to their balls.
Each to their own mate, it may be something (god forbid none of us ever have to...) contemplate, but I'd stop myself doing anything stupid.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't make a man. This does.

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.