Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm off as well. Goodbye.

I'm off as well. Goodbye.

Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm off as well. Goodbye.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm always right, regardless of what I'm whittering about. The husband learnt that very early on. It makes life soooooo much easier for everyone.
So did mine...the three little words from a husband is the key to a happy marriage...'You are right'.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:04 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Sorry but I disagree - the whole point of a moderator is moderate and be pro-active. Just becase the text you read is boring or not is not the issue as it is your role, in my opinion, to promote interaction between the users.

Moderators plus all sign up to the terms and conditions on the board, where it states: Without limiting the foregoing, the following behaviors are strictly prohibited:

Strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,
Racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language,
Harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members,
Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortuous language,
Online vandalism,
Invasion of another's privacy,
Actions that are hurtful to minors.

There have been clear breaches of the above recently.
Not enough hours in the day for us to read every single one of the hundreds of posts made daily in this forum. As members we ask you to report such instances if you see them so they can be brought to our attention.

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Depending on the school of Islamic thought they do have the right to take a child into their own custody after a certain age. If the mother is not a Muslim and there is a "danger" the child might be raised as a non-Muslim then most Sharia courts will award custody to the father.

Apparently there's "no compulsion in religion" in the Koran but children of a Muslim are automatically Muslim...even before they can read or write.

Still, it's not the place of non-believers who don't speak fluent Koranic Arabic to even comment on this sort of thing. What amazes me is the number of Non-Muslims who will be up in arms taking offense on behalf of Muslims these days!

N.
these were genuine cases of kidnap, children taken from their British Mothers for no reason, it was awful. In all cases the women thought they had had happy marriages, next day, he has gone and so have the kids, to be raised in a more Islamic country
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:48 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Depending on the school of Islamic thought they do have the right to take a child into their own custody after a certain age. If the mother is not a Muslim and there is a "danger" the child might be raised as a non-Muslim then most Sharia courts will award custody to the father.

Apparently there's "no compulsion in religion" in the Koran but children of a Muslim are automatically Muslim...even before they can read or write.

Still, it's not the place of non-believers who don't speak fluent Koranic Arabic to even comment on this sort of thing. What amazes me is the number of Non-Muslims who will be up in arms taking offense on behalf of Muslims these days!

N.
Pity that Koranic Arabic wasn't the language spoken at the time a bit like the bible it's gone through so many language changes and translations that the original meanings are quite often very very different from what is currently written and believed.
Eg the whole vestal virgins bit in the oldest Koran yet found actually reads a bunch of grapes in a nice garden which when given the times it was written in makes a lot more sense and for a parched bedu baking his nuts of in the rub al Khali would possibly be a more attractive idea
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Not enough hours in the day for us to read every single one of the hundreds of posts made daily in this forum. As members we ask you to report such instances if you see them so they can be brought to our attention.

Thanks
Responsbility vs accountability ???

I notice that mods are quicker to delete posts which are trolling or advertising businesses which may impact the bottom advertising line for this site - but you cannot determine if a thread is breaching your t&c..

Perhaps you need to get more mods - or ban the offending minor individuals
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Responsbility vs accountability ???

I notice that mods are quicker to delete posts which are trolling or advertising businesses which may impact the bottom advertising line for this site - but you cannot determine if a thread is breaching your t&c..

Perhaps you need to get more mods - or ban the offending minor individuals
I'd imagine the reason it might appear that trolling or advertising posts are delete with quickly is because the posts in question have been reported. Hence they are brought to the attention of the moderators for the forum.

Also bear in mind that not all moderation is done at the front end. We often deal with issues in private, so you aren't privy to what action has been taken.

We don't need any more moderators. Too many and the site gets accused of over-moderation. Moderating is a no win situation really. We either get accused of over moderating, and thereby "censoring" discussions, or we get people complaining that we don't do enough. So as you can see, we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

BE Members are all part of this community, so if anyone sees another member acting inappropriately toward another, or breaking the site rules by trolling/spamming/bullying, etc then they should report the post, and it will be looked at by one of us moderators as soon as is humanly possible.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I found a nice quote about moderation...

"Moderation is a virtue only in those who are thought to have an alternative."

Henry Kissinger, 1982.

O.J.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
these were genuine cases of kidnap, children taken from their British Mothers for no reason, it was awful. In all cases the women thought they had had happy marriages, next day, he has gone and so have the kids, to be raised in a more Islamic country
Well, were those mothers Muslim? If so, they knew what could happen.
Does not make it less awful...but as the saying goes, "you make your bed, you have to lie in it".

And even if they were not Muslim, if a non Muslim woman marries a Muslim and does not get vital information on the ins and outs before, well, not very smart, sorry, but there have been MANY publicized cases, one is not exactly kept in the dark.

But of course, it only happens to "other people", lol.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I've just read through a different thread, we have another Brit moaning about Asians/ Muslims / Islam in the UK in quite a derogatory manner.

We've had it in quite a few threads now. A simple thread ends up with nasty, sarcastic and bitter & twisted posts. No-one seems to object, so it looks like its fair game.

If it's ok in your book, then fair enough. In the past I have read comments about this being a British Forum, so therefore British 'opinion and humour' will prevail.

These comments are not ok in my book, as an Asian Muslim quite clearly, the comments are aimed at me, my family and friends. Who else are they aimed at? If it wasn't for 'us', then the problems wouldn't exist. Would they?

My own philosophy is that if you don't like the Middle East, stop moaning about it and ****k off back home. I don't like this Forum anymore, so I've quit moaning about it, and I'm gonna do the same - **** off somewhere else.

There are a few decent people here, and its been a pleasure to meet them. However, they seem to be dwindling in number. Best of luck to you. Ma salaama.
Sorry to see you go. It is unfortunate that this forum has become one sided and Islamophobic as evident by posts from certain individuals and some Senior Members.

You have provided a lot of useful information during your time here.

Will be missed.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Nottmbantam,

You are a good man and have helped a lot of people particularly Newbies. You shouldn’t take jack’s comment so seriously. In my opinion you should stay here and consider Auto’s suggestion, stay around and fight the good fight.

My biological father is from Pakistan my step dad is white Scottish, one of my sisters married a Black English who is a devoted Christian and the other married some rich Jew last year and my brother he is shagging some Chinese bird these days. Every year whether it’s Eid, Christmas or Purim the British Asian/Muslim integration with rest of the society is passionately discussed in our family. My bio father’s family despite have been living in Britain for the last 55 years have not truely integrated, also they never make an effort to attend any family congregations because in their view we all are sinister. Look around you and give a single reason why Muslim’s around the world shouldn’t be ridiculed, give me one good reason why some of the British Asian Muslims should not be questioned. I lived in Manchester for a few years; it was appalling to see the way young British born Asians celebrating 14th August on the streets of Rusholme (curry mile) whilst the people at the Pakistan embassy were sipping champagne in the comfort of their home!!! Having said that, the majority of the british asian muslims (including practicing Muslims) are refined. They are educated, understand the true teachings of Islam based on their study and common sense rather relying on the Saudi interpretations and have no integration related issues. I guess you and I are an example.

As for the BNP crew, they are ignorant. Most of them have hailed from the slums, are illiterate and thuggery is the only entertainment. The modern Britain is mainly bigoted because of atheism. I know this is a controversiall statement but I will discuss and justify this piece with solid evidence some other time but for now the important thing is that you stay. If you left then I will leave this forum as well – I see many praying for you to leave now ok, if you stayed then I will leave the forum.
Last edited by sherri : Yesterday at 1:59 am.

Honestly Sherri, why you sad unthinking brainless sheep can not look further than your fairy tales from thousands of years ago is unbelievable.
Atheism is an answer not the problem. FFS do you believe that Harry Potter is real? No then why do you believe there is a god?
If any idea is strong enough then why does it need the Law to protect it? Atheism has no legal protection and it does not need it because it does not require that you believe that a man( JESUS/MOHAMMED/MOSES) can speak to an all seeing all knowing being who frankly if he was real is a nasty, vindictive, revengeful spiteful C U Next Thursday.

Honestly it is great not believing in a misogynistic being who wants me to get on my knees every Friday/Sunday to worship him. Have you ever considered the absurdity of being on your knees in a room full of other people doing the same thing for a supposed being who wants you to do this.
Honestly if you want to believe then great but please keep it inside your own mind and do not try to brainwash any body else with this rubbish.
Regards
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by sherri
Having said that, the majority of the british asian muslims (including practicing Muslims) are refined. They are educated, understand the true teachings of Islam based on their study and common sense rather relying on the Saudi interpretations and have no integration related issues. I guess you and I are an example.

The modern Britain is mainly bigoted because of atheism.
Agree with you on both statements.

However regarding your 1st comment, those refined ones are looked upon with the same light as the ignorant and twisted ones who have mixed medieval traditions/ customs and interpretations to suit their own agendas with the real Islam that existed thousands of years ago.

With regards to bigotry, yes this is true to the core. This is where Atheism is deemed superior by Atheists to those with a belief in God which is clearly evident by various Atheist posters on this forum. This is then no different from those with twisted extremist views with a belief in God believing themselves more superior to those with no belief in God. (Sorry, but just sitting on the fence here).
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
This is then no different from those with twisted extremist views with a belief in God believing themselves more superior to those with no belief in God. (Sorry, but just sitting on the fence here).
Except of course, there have been no cases of atheists blowing innocents to pieces with the power of their condescension. I like to keep an open mind and love to debate with people of faith but it seems that whenever anyone questions the kind of beliefs that have been passed on from loved ones it's often just too much for that person to contemplate....you're insulting their parents. Not wishing to upset anyone I generally think such topics are best avoided as a result...
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Except of course, there have been no cases of atheists blowing innocents to pieces with the power of their condescension. I like to keep an open mind and love to debate with people of faith but it seems that whenever anyone questions the kind of beliefs that have been passed on from loved ones it's often just too much for that person to contemplate....you're insulting their parents. Not wishing to upset anyone I generally think such topics are best avoided as a result...
But if those things cause problems, and they can't be discussed for fear of "offending", then what?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:13 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
But if those things cause problems, and they can't be discussed for fear of "offending", then what?
What is it with the whole "can't discuss this for fear of offending" business? Is it just not common courtesy to avoid heated discussions amongst people who have radically opposed views who you know in advance aren't really up for a reasoned debate (aka "picking a fight")?!

Were we all at a dinner party, I think all this would be far more balanced. Those who like to hammer their views home would either be politely left in a corner discussing the same points with like-minded individuals or would maybe consider tailoring their conversation to suit the company they were in, rather than appear a boor.

Just because this is online doesn't mean to say that we should all grow thicker skins just to deal with it. People don't come on here to have their belief system picked apart at every opportunity.

Freedom of speech isn't freedom of speech if it silences others.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Just because this is online doesn't mean to say that we should all grow thicker skins just to deal with it. People don't come on here to have their belief system picked apart at every opportunity.
That's a great point.

Also with reference to your remark about dinner parties, I like to think of the TIO forum as the corner where people can have those type of discussions if they so choose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.