Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...hol-conviction

The case illustrates what judges have called "confusing" rules about enforcement of alcohol regulations.

A chief prosecutor at the Dubai Public Prosecution said yesterday that tourists cannot get alcohol licences, making any consumption on their part technically illegal, even though it is sold in the hotels where they stay.

"I acknowledge that this is confusing and is a grey area to tourists, but to be on the safe side, they should not drink based on the fact it's an Islamic country," he said. "Tourists should stay away from trouble and not drink at all or drink in secret."

Lawyers, judges and police have said in recent months that although UAE law requires everyone - even tourists, in theory - to have an alcohol licence before drinking, the rule is not enforced as a matter of practicality.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

laughable! won't do much for their economy if tourists didn't drink
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It is such a ridiculous situation. I really don't see a good reason for licences (apart from the small amount of revenue they generate) as the country, Dubai especially, needs the revenue that alcohol sales generate, as well as to keep attracting tourists.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's hope that the UK dailies pick-up this story and run with it. Will serve the greedy Emiratis right. Trying to attract business they cannot serve.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
Let's hope that the UK dailies pick-up this story and run with it. Will serve the greedy Emiratis right. Trying to attract business they cannot serve.
Plus it happened more than 4 months ago and not yet resolved!! Wonder if the guy still has a job etc, if he had one??
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

That sums up the Gulf, intentionally wishy washy laws to let the locals apply them in an inconsistent & biased manner and still claim to be good Muslims.

A US founder said how the US is meant to be a nation of laws and not of men; the opposite it true for the UAE.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

DXBsocial is a jewel in the roughDXBsocial is a jewel in the roughDXBsocial is a jewel in the roughDXBsocial is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meow
It is such a ridiculous situation. I really don't see a good reason for licences (apart from the small amount of revenue they generate) as the country, Dubai especially, needs the revenue that alcohol sales generate, as well as to keep attracting tourists.
I was told last week that there are something like only 30,000 current licences in circulation in Dubai. It only nets the gov't something like 160 aed per licence, so really what is the point?

The import and municipality taxes however make a shedload of cash, so the more sold the better it will be for them!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working for a Dubai 'government entity', I made a suggestion to the big boss that he thought was brilliant, and which would have solved this problem to everyone's satisfaction.

Issue 'Short Term Alcohol Licences' at Dubai Duty Free in the arrival terminals to any visitor that wants one. A nominal charge of say AED 30 would not deter anyone and would solve the legal anomaly of booze being on sale in hotels but technically banned.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, so could somebody please just confirm that this measure was indeed introduced..........?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
When I was working for a Dubai 'government entity', I made a suggestion to the big boss that he thought was brilliant, and which would have solved this problem to everyone's satisfaction.

Issue 'Short Term Alcohol Licences' at Dubai Duty Free in the arrival terminals to any visitor that wants one. A nominal charge of say AED 30 would not deter anyone and would solve the legal anomaly of booze being on sale in hotels but technically banned.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, so could somebody please just confirm that this measure was indeed introduced..........?
Now that is a solution, so of course, not implemented.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:02 pm