British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/illegal-tourists-drink-uae-706967/)

al dente Feb 26th 2011 5:04 am

Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...hol-conviction

The case illustrates what judges have called "confusing" rules about enforcement of alcohol regulations.

A chief prosecutor at the Dubai Public Prosecution said yesterday that tourists cannot get alcohol licences, making any consumption on their part technically illegal, even though it is sold in the hotels where they stay.

"I acknowledge that this is confusing and is a grey area to tourists, but to be on the safe side, they should not drink based on the fact it's an Islamic country," he said. "Tourists should stay away from trouble and not drink at all or drink in secret."

Lawyers, judges and police have said in recent months that although UAE law requires everyone - even tourists, in theory - to have an alcohol licence before drinking, the rule is not enforced as a matter of practicality.

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2011 10:18 am

Re: Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

laughable! won't do much for their economy if tourists didn't drink :rofl:

Meow Feb 26th 2011 11:06 am

It is such a ridiculous situation. I really don't see a good reason for licences (apart from the small amount of revenue they generate) as the country, Dubai especially, needs the revenue that alcohol sales generate, as well as to keep attracting tourists.

lionheart Feb 26th 2011 11:16 am

Let's hope that the UK dailies pick-up this story and run with it. Will serve the greedy Emiratis right. Trying to attract business they cannot serve.

Jim Smith Feb 26th 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9203108)
Let's hope that the UK dailies pick-up this story and run with it. Will serve the greedy Emiratis right. Trying to attract business they cannot serve.

Plus it happened more than 4 months ago and not yet resolved!! Wonder if the guy still has a job etc, if he had one??

Boomhauer Feb 26th 2011 11:43 am

That sums up the Gulf, intentionally wishy washy laws to let the locals apply them in an inconsistent & biased manner and still claim to be good Muslims.

A US founder said how the US is meant to be a nation of laws and not of men; the opposite it true for the UAE.

DXBsocial Feb 26th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9203097)
It is such a ridiculous situation. I really don't see a good reason for licences (apart from the small amount of revenue they generate) as the country, Dubai especially, needs the revenue that alcohol sales generate, as well as to keep attracting tourists.

I was told last week that there are something like only 30,000 current licences in circulation in Dubai. It only nets the gov't something like 160 aed per licence, so really what is the point?

The import and municipality taxes however make a shedload of cash, so the more sold the better it will be for them!

The Dean Feb 26th 2011 1:18 pm

When I was working for a Dubai 'government entity', I made a suggestion to the big boss that he thought was brilliant, and which would have solved this problem to everyone's satisfaction.

Issue 'Short Term Alcohol Licences' at Dubai Duty Free in the arrival terminals to any visitor that wants one. A nominal charge of say AED 30 would not deter anyone and would solve the legal anomaly of booze being on sale in hotels but technically banned.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, so could somebody please just confirm that this measure was indeed introduced..........? :huh:

al dente Feb 26th 2011 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9203275)
When I was working for a Dubai 'government entity', I made a suggestion to the big boss that he thought was brilliant, and which would have solved this problem to everyone's satisfaction.

Issue 'Short Term Alcohol Licences' at Dubai Duty Free in the arrival terminals to any visitor that wants one. A nominal charge of say AED 30 would not deter anyone and would solve the legal anomaly of booze being on sale in hotels but technically banned.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, so could somebody please just confirm that this measure was indeed introduced..........? :huh:

Now that is a solution, so of course, not implemented.

Autonomy Feb 26th 2011 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9203275)

While I applaud your initiative, the whole thing is ridiculous. What is the point of the license? It's against the law for Muslims to drink - so why the need for a license that I have never been asked to show except in government regulated and 30% taxed shops. Never once anywhere else.

It's a total sham, confusing and intentionally so....

lionheart Feb 26th 2011 3:05 pm

More UAE justice.:frown::eek::thumbdown:

al dente Feb 26th 2011 3:11 pm

It's a law that purposefully tries to ensure that the majority of expats are in the wrong should there be any altercation. No need to proof anything else, just do a blood test.

Spugsy Feb 26th 2011 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9202744)
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...hol-conviction

The case illustrates what judges have called "confusing" rules about enforcement of alcohol regulations.

A chief prosecutor at the Dubai Public Prosecution said yesterday that tourists cannot get alcohol licences, making any consumption on their part technically illegal, even though it is sold in the hotels where they stay.

"I acknowledge that this is confusing and is a grey area to tourists, but to be on the safe side, they should not drink based on the fact it's an Islamic country," he said. "Tourists should stay away from trouble and not drink at all or drink in secret."

Lawyers, judges and police have said in recent months that although UAE law requires everyone - even tourists, in theory - to have an alcohol licence before drinking, the rule is not enforced as a matter of practicality.

'you should drink in secret - WHAT??

Boomhauer Feb 26th 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9203439)
It's a law that purposefully tries to ensure that the majority of expats are in the wrong should there be any altercation. No need to proof anything else, just do a blood test.

That is an outstanding point:thumbup:, and I don't use the word outstanding flippantly. I never thought of that. Bloody cunning of the local authorities.

Ethos83 Feb 26th 2011 5:10 pm

Got to say...I was left wondering what his actual nationality...er...skin colour is?

That he stayed with a friend in Deira caught my attention. Very few white Britons live in Deira and if I had to bet on anything it'd be this poor bloke is a British Asian or even British African. If he was white he'd be slapped with a fine and perhaps a night or two in jail. But four months in jail?

Methinks it's the police pulling a racist act and abusing their power to have a bit of fun.