British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "If I was an Iranian, I would be very fearful of the next 12 weeks." (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/if-i-iranian-i-would-very-fearful-next-12-weeks-768308/)

Autonomy Aug 14th 2012 2:30 pm

"If I was an Iranian, I would be very fearful of the next 12 weeks."

This was the quote from Mossad chief Ehraim Halevy, to the New York Times.

Huge upsurge of Israeli rhetoric that they will act either multi or unilaterally against Iran's nuclear production in a "matter of weeks". US Presidential elections in Nov being a large factor.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/iran...on-iran-strike

Curious on bored views on a few topics:
  • Do you think Israel will go it alone or do they need the US?
  • Do you think an attack is likely in the next 3 months?
  • Is an attack justified?
  • What retaliation would be expected if they do attack?
  • If it's Israeli only - retaliation against them only or if US jointly could that bring retaliation to US bases / supporters in the region?
  • What (if any) effect would attacks and retributions have on the UAE / Qatar / Bahrain?
  • Do I need either a tin foil hat or a bomb shelter?

NorthernLad Aug 14th 2012 3:09 pm

Re: "If I was an Iranian, I would be very fearful of the next 12 weeks."

I expect the Israelis will attack at some point (with US blessing although not publicly).

My feeling is that the Iranians would leave the gulf countries alone, the last thing they would need is to alienate their neighbours further and risk a full on attack.

Justification is a tough one. I have some admiration for the Israelis in the respect that they won't take any shit and will be proactive...there is a lot of wrong that they do, but their number one goal is self-preservation (and they have done well so far).

Millhouse Aug 14th 2012 3:17 pm

Well, I can't see how it cannot happen. Conditions are perfect as they say.

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10226937)

Huge upsurge of Israeli rhetoric that they will act either multi or unilaterally against Iran's nuclear production in a "matter of weeks". US Presidential elections in Nov being a large factor.

They will go it alone... with a massive US presence in the gulf, just in case. US won't lead, but will implicitly support. Israel will launch from Azerbaijan

I'm convinced of it.

Nope. You could argue that another super power in he region wouldn't be so bad. Look at the 'peace' between India and Pakistan bought by a few big ass bombs. Not that I really subscribe to Norm's school of thought.

Depends who does it and how hard it happens. Mostly localised acts of terror in the Levant.
  • If it's Israeli only - retaliation against them only or if US jointly could that bring retaliation to US bases / supporters in the region?

everyone will get dragged in, in one form or another
  • What (if any) effect would attacks and retributions have on the UAE / Qatar / Bahrain?

Bahrain won't be pretty.

Both and maybe some clean, but dark, undies.

auzdafluff Aug 14th 2012 3:22 pm

Can? No.
    Will? I'd say 60% at the moment.

The problem is, they know they've got the US by the balls. I'd love to see Obama publicly disown Israel if it went solo, but I can see it playing into the hands of Romney and co.

Depends. The Israeli military doesn't want it. The majority of its citizens don't either.

Israel knows it needs US support for after it has bombed Iran. If it feels it will be disowned, they'll throw a tantrum like a toddler, but won't do anything.

I could even see the military perform a coup-de-etat to 'save' Israel from something that would easily spiral into a Middle East wide war.

No. For all the rhetoric, I honestly think Iran is only after the bomb because it's seen how it's protected North Korea.

They know using the weapon would mean the end of Iran, and religious or not, they don't want to see that come to pass.

I'd imagine missiles launched at Isreal. Possibly with chemical/biological warheads. You're not going to see Iranian tanks battling with Israeli tanks. The global community might not be willing to start a fight, but you can be sure as hell China and Russia won't stand by idly while Iraq is turned into non-man's land.

Depends on Obama's response. If he immediately disowns the current Israeli government, I can see the Iranians restraining from striking US assets. They'll want to look like the victims. Hitting out at the US will likely result in ire from China and Russia.

If the US denounces it both publicly and privately, it's not in Iran's interested to pick a fight with them.

UAE? None. Too many Iranians. Shooting or bombing the country that is home to the majority of your expat population isn't wise, and wouldn't go down well with your own populace.

Qatar? Depends on the media coverage Al Jazeera chooses to pump out. Even then, it'll be a war of words and diplomatic actions.

Bahrain is the main one. Depends on the US response. They might seek to 'liberate' the country, and gain a foothold on the Arabian side of the gulf.

I doubt it. It's not in Iran's interest to bomb Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Their ire would probably be directed at using 90 per cent of its missiles to hit Israel.

Brains1983 Aug 14th 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10227041)
Well, I can't see how it cannot happen. Conditions are perfect as they say.

This may be a stupid question, but why does the US elections have any bearing on this? Incase there is a change in foreign policy? I've seen a few statements that an attack is more likely at this time?

Millhouse Aug 14th 2012 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10227060)
This may be a stupid question, but why does the US elections have any bearing on this? Incase there is a change in foreign policy? I've seen a few statements that an attack is more likely at this time?

Everyone likes a war. And when the jews hold most of the investments in the country, you tend to listen to them.

Max the Dog Aug 14th 2012 3:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon :eek:

Millhouse Aug 14th 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 10227085)

Well, that is my birthday. I hope I go out with a bang.

OleJanx Aug 14th 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 10227085)

That sounds cheerful! Something to look forwards to at last...

Autonomy Aug 14th 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10227074)
Everyone likes a war. And when the jews hold most of the investments in the country, you tend to listen to them.

Exactly - Republicans and Romney especially are pro Israel and pro war. Obama and Democrats in general tend to be more dove than hawk. Forced into a support or not stance weeks before elections may force Obama to consider options he'd not always consider for political reasons when he may be facing a tight incumbent vote...

TGFKASE Aug 15th 2012 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10227088)
Well, that is my birthday. I hope I go out with a bang.

My birthday as well. Looking forward to the firework display to end all displays....

auzdafluff Aug 15th 2012 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10227060)

As Millhouse and Autonomy pointed out, it's the point Israel has most leverage over the US.

The Dean Aug 15th 2012 7:29 am

1 Attachment(s)
Why can't the world be more like the Olympics? :unsure:

shiva Aug 15th 2012 7:39 am

not sure, was some stuff the other day suggesting an israeli attack would be a temp solution while an american one would be somewhat more final in regards to weapons capability. on the whole i think that if the US doesnt attack after the election the israel will
    see above
    yes, on the whole id disagree with bombing a country for rhetoric but in a religious state where at any given moment the religious authorities could sieze total power then the idea of people with an absolute faith in an afterlife having control of nuclear weapons absolutely terrifies me.
    depends on who attacks and what scale, if its the US total destruction of infrastructure attack then what little will be left will be chucked at israel.
    see above
    mass exodus of expats from region, sleeper cells could be activated, short range missiles chucked at us. Who knows but economically it probably wont be good short term. bahrain is the most likely to have internal trouble but the UAE an Iran are technically in a state of war already so who knows

THIS is what i'm wondering, so many years of rhetoric from all sides have us all a little complacent about what could be a major major problem for expats in the region. I just dont know and frankly id rather not have to decide to leg it before the nov election but its an option worth considering at the moment

see blue above.
id also ad the question,
Are you considering a possible attack as a reason to leave the region soon?

shiva Aug 15th 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10228061)
Why can't the world be more like the Olympics? :unsure:

because we cant all take years off work to train at sports we love funded by tax payers, sponsors and charity