Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I am thinking of a new car

I am thinking of a new car

Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am thinking of a new car

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Maybe compared to a Yaris. I had one for a weekend and it was good fun but not sure I'd like one long-term.

My boss has one and the novelty has worn off after 6 months for him.
having it as as second car is a good option, as an only car, then no, the space limitation is an issue.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
disagree we have the automatic, even when the car isn't in sport mode it is like shit of a shovel
Did you try the manual?

I'm not saying the auto is slow, more that as a proper drivers car it should be a manual as you get far more control than with an auto - engine breaking, choosing you change up/down points, holding revs in a certain gear etc etc.

There's nothing worse than an an auto changing just when you don't want it to.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I think the BRZ comes in blue but the 86 doesn't, there is significantly more 86's about than BRZ's. Hope you get one sorted, you won't regret it
Dunno about the colour but if I remember rightly (as per Top Gear) the agreement between Toyota and Subaru is something silly like a 1:10 Subaru:Toyota ratio.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Did you try the manual?

I'm not saying the auto is slow, more that as a proper drivers car it should be a manual as you get far more control than with an auto - engine breaking, choosing you change up/down points, holding revs in a certain gear etc etc.

I didn't but the husband did, I am useless at manual these days, after driving automatic for so long. I am guessing the re-sale of the Subaru might be higher? Top Gear review was brilliant.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Did you try the manual?

Exactly. A VVTI engine shouldn't be mounted to an auto box. It needs revs.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I'm not partially sighted and I have a perception of size, so I don't think I'm target market for them.
The FJ is like an ugly girlfriend who is good in bed: you love it but don't want your mates to know about it.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't you just buy a Pajero a few years ago? Bored with it already?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

100k and something sporty,

you should find a VW EOS for good money on Dubizzle sub 100k

Wat about Infiniti JX35 Or the Nissan Juke,

Ford Edge

Stay away from peugeot in Middle east they dissolve in uk weather can only imagine how well they stand up to the Desert heat.

Maybe a 3series Convertible, But depends on how new you want the car to be for your Price Range.

The Rav 4 would be a good option will hold its price well enough and give a sporty feel in a small 4x4

I'd stay away from Focus, They don't seem to hold there price. I just bought my wife a 5yr old 1 with 75k on the clock for 23,000 as her 1st car.

For bang for buck i'd stay with Japanese cars. Only reason i bought Sarah a Focus was its her 1st car. So i dont think it will stand up too well to being Resold haha
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:33 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Didn't you just buy a Pajero a few years ago? Bored with it already?
it's three years old in December, was going to trade it in last December for a new one but decided to keep it for another year. This is my second Pajero so just fancy a change, downsizing so to say as I really don't need the Pajero I do very few miles.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:05 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

the GLX is the one I looked at, with the leather trim etc?
Yep, it looks really good in white....sturdy but kinda more feminine than your regular boxy 4x4...I LIKE very mucho
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Poshy
Yep, it looks really good in white....sturdy but kinda more feminine than your regular boxy 4x4...I LIKE very mucho
been to see the Hyundai Veloster this morning, very nice
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:10 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

I like the Chevrolet Captiva too, not a bad price either......

The new shape Hyundai Sante Fe is very nice as well.....
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:14 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Poshy
I like the Chevrolet Captiva too, not a bad price either......

The new shape Hyundai Sante Fe is very nice as well.....
yup but I am fancying a car more than a 4x4
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:33 am
When in doubt, mumble.

hmmmm

These girly ones I mention are not real 4x4's though..

The ASX is especially girly
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:36 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Stay away from peugeot in Middle east they dissolve in uk weather can only imagine how well they stand up to the Desert heat.
I had a 406 then a 407 in UK, ran them both into the ground, they were great cars on the motorways. 406 was the better model as witness the number in use as taxi's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.