Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I am thinking of a new car

I am thinking of a new car

Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:04 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am thinking of a new car

Originally Posted by jam25mack
As for a Golf GTi..... yawn! Tis hardly original.
Remember that with all cars, like everything in life, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:04 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Meant to say BC, mine is the GLX in dark Silver ( pretty boring ) with mid line options, when I was picking it up they were rolling out a GLX with high line options ( leather ect ) in white and it looked erm....a lot sportier than mine.....

Gave my husband that look.................that said "wish I had chosen that one now "

I still love mine though
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait? They have been out for ages.

Also if there aren't any about you can get the Subaru version which is the same car (exactly) just with a different badge.
There is, I think, still a waiting list to get them new. You can get them 2nd hand now, usually with low km's on the clock, and with out of the showroom depreciation knocked off the price.

I'm planning to get one during Ramadan. Undecided on the manual or auto, like the Celica it is apparently best driven at above 4000rpm so if I were buying it in the UK it would be manual all the way but not quite so sure here.

I noticed Subaru version, the BRZ, being advertised in their showroom window so I presume it’s going to be available shortly, if not already, but haven’t seen any on the streets yet.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Toyota GT86? 95k, reliable, sporty and great to drive
husband has got one already, fabulous car
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Actually, this. If you can wait...
we waited 6 months for ours, but worth the wait. Thanks for all the comments everyone, I am going to see the Hyundai Velo thingy this morning and I like the look of the Ford Focus sports but it is manual and I want automatic. If I was to go VW I would like an IOS but they are over the 100k mark
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
There is, I think, still a waiting list to get them new. You can get them 2nd hand now, usually with low km's on the clock, and with out of the showroom depreciation knocked off the price.

I'm planning to get one during Ramadan. Undecided on the manual or auto, like the Celica it is apparently best driven at above 4000rpm so if I were buying it in the UK it would be manual all the way but not quite so sure here.

I noticed Subaru version, the BRZ, being advertised in their showroom window so I presume it’s going to be available shortly, if not already, but haven’t seen any on the streets yet.
The BRZ are available there just isn't as many of them on the roads yet, I saw one yesterday as it happens. There are 2 GT86 for sale on Dubizzle, one has less than 5k kms on the clock. There is also a local owner club for the GT86, we went to one of their events it was really good.

http://www.facebook.com/86cult?fref=ts
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Poshy
Meant to say BC, mine is the GLX in dark Silver ( pretty boring ) with mid line options, when I was picking it up they were rolling out a GLX with high line options ( leather ect ) in white and it looked erm....a lot sportier than mine.....

Gave my husband that look.................that said "wish I had chosen that one now "

I still love mine though
the GLX is the one I looked at, with the leather trim etc?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be a waste to get one of these as an auto.... a) you would miss the whole point of owning one and b) they are not huge in the power department and auto boxes due to their complexity and inefficiency generally steal a significant amount of it.

Modern manuals are relatively easy to drive here. I.e. nothing like my Jeep, that thing is a nightmare in traffic! My thigh is HUGE!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Surely an 86 has to be the most pointless car for Dubai's roads? It needs country lanes not mindnumbing highway driving.

Get an FJ.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:27 am
Concierge

It'd be a waste to get one of these as an auto.... a) you would miss the whole point of owning one and b) they are not huge in the power department and auto boxes due to their complexity and inefficiency generally steal a significant amount of it.

Modern manuals are relatively easy to drive here. I.e. nothing like my Jeep, that thing is a nightmare in traffic! My thigh is HUGE!
disagree we have the automatic, even when the car isn't in sport mode it is like shit of a shovel
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:28 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Surely an 86 has to be the most pointless car for Dubai's roads? It needs country lanes not mindnumbing highway driving.

Get an FJ.
country lanes would be great but we don't have them, I had a ball of a time in our 86 last week
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
The BRZ are available there just isn't as many of them on the roads yet, I saw one yesterday as it happens. There are 2 GT86 for sale on Dubizzle, one has less than 5k kms on the clock. There is also a local owner club for the GT86, we went to one of their events it was really good.

http://www.facebook.com/86cult?fref=ts
Thanks BC.

I've noticed more GT86's on the roads in the last few week, but not sure if I just have me eye in for them now, maybe some of them were actually BRZ's. There were also a few available 2nd hand from Al Futtaim now.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:35 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
disagree we have the automatic, even when the car isn't in sport mode it is like shit of a shovel
Maybe compared to a Yaris. I had one for a weekend and it was good fun but not sure I'd like one long-term.

My boss has one and the novelty has worn off after 6 months for him.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:35 am
Concierge

Thanks BC.

I've noticed more GT86's on the roads in the last few week, but not sure if I just have me eye in for them now, maybe some of them were actually BRZ's. There were also a few available 2nd hand from Al Futtaim now.
I think the BRZ comes in blue but the 86 doesn't, there is significantly more 86's about than BRZ's. Hope you get one sorted, you won't regret it
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Get an FJ.
I'm not partially sighted and I have a perception of size, so I don't think I'm target market for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.