HSBC Visa Debit cards

Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC Visa Debit cards

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Actually, something else I forgot to mention on this. When I rang DVLA up, as my photo section had run out and I trying to sort it out (£25 and 3 working days till delivery, so not so bad,) I said I was leaving the country and where the photo section was applicablle received an explanation that driving in the UK without a valid photo section was a ticketable offence, but he didn't know if it was an offence abroad. Also, if you make your family home your registered address, there shouldn't be any problem renewing in future. However, that you're not living there and are actually working abroad (next we come into Residency territory I guess......)

They don't half make these things confusing.
I always had a UK address and also a registered car to that address but had understanding insurance brokers; I paid a bit more than a total resident, but I had a car and address in the UK, right or wrongly, and it was a great help when I brought back a Mercedes from the Gulf, as I had several years no claim to off set the fact I wanted to insure an imported LHD car.

Last edited by OleJanx; Dec 6th 2012 at 5:06 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

The Residency and 'permanent address' links into domestic bank accounts/cards and ability to buy things online (family birthday/seasonal gifts, etc, helping out partners you're leaving behind temporarily) I can feel some 'anonymous' phone calls coming on over this. But my bank didn't bat an eye even when I said I am giving up my rented accommodation in the process. We don't stop being British through all this (I want a return of the black passport and the determined identity that went with it. that slammed me through an awkward situation with a tosspot in a certain marxist nation back in the 80's)
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Are you sure it's not until you are 70?
Sorry Janx, Until I am 70! But I can drive for one year, on the UAE, Saudi, Qatar, or Philippines Licence whilst back in the UK. After one year, leave the Country (down the Chunnel) return, and the year starts again! - But you have to request a 'Stamp' in your Passport. After more than 15 Years overseas, my old UK Licence is worthless! - Despite that, it got me the last one!

The response I received from DVLA last year was 'Yes, you need to prove that you are Resident in UK and will have to take a Driving Test!'
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
No, not madness at all. I'm guessing you probably don't realise that your UK driving licence is only valid while you are a permanent resident of the UK? As an expat, you can't use it to drive while visiting the UK. Or rather, you *can* - car rental places will accept it without question - but if you have an accident and it's revealed that you're an expat, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence and insurance.
people panic and think that i should renew my photocard etc "when i am back in the uk" as i may get a fine for not doing so, but if you are not resident in the uk, you cannot legally renew it, if when you go back to the uk to live you can renew your photocard without being fined. use your uae licence, its not worth the hassle if you do have an accident and then you will have no licence or insurance, as said above the car companies arent bothered they will always take your uk licence, but technically when you swapped your uk for your uae the police should have taken your licence away and sent it back to dvla so you do not have a uk licence.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, something else I forgot to mention on this. When I rang DVLA up, as my photo section had run out and I trying to sort it out (£25 and 3 working days till delivery, so not so bad,) I said I was leaving the country and where the photo section was applicablle received an explanation that driving in the UK without a valid photo section was a ticketable offence, but he didn't know if it was an offence abroad. Also, if you make your family home your registered address, there shouldn't be any problem renewing in future. However, that you're not living there and are actually working abroad (next we come into Residency territory I guess......)

They don't half make these things confusing.
they probably dont realise what the rules are. yes if you do not have a valid photocard you can be fined. but the rules do state that in order to renew you have to be resident in the uk, if you go back for a holiday for a couple of days, does that mean you are resident, nope. its not offence abroad as you dont use your uk licence abroad.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:00 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

So, on a brief trip home you use the KSA one, but what if you eventually return permanently? Do you exchange the KSA one back? I presume you don't have to retest back in the UK?
No, you don't have to retest. You don't have to do anything. Once you're living permanently in the UK again, your licence is automatically valid again. The DVLA has no idea that you spent any time living outside the UK, unless you made a point of telling them (and who does that?)

I swapped my old-style licence for a photocard one a couple of years ago, using the online application system and putting my parents' house down as my address. I knew I was potentially taking a risk, but I knew of other people who'd done it without problems, so I went for it.

There are a few worrying statements on the website, including one about checking things like the electoral register, but it all just worked. I didn't even have to supply a photo, because they can automatically pull across your passport photo from whatever government computer that's stored on.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, you don't have to retest. You don't have to do anything. Once you're living permanently in the UK again, your licence is automatically valid again. The DVLA has no idea that you spent any time living outside the UK, unless you made a point of telling them (and who does that?)

I swapped my old-style licence for a photocard one a couple of years ago, using the online application system and putting my parents' house down as my address. I knew I was potentially taking a risk, but I knew of other people who'd done it without problems, so I went for it.

There are a few worrying statements on the website, including one about checking things like the electoral register, but it all just worked. I didn't even have to supply a photo, because they can automatically pull across your passport photo from whatever government computer that's stored on.
i know someone that has lived overseas for a long time,she tried to renew licence online, but was looked into and caught, i think she got off with a warning, and was told that she must only do it when she is in the country again etc. yes if your passport is under 5 years old they will take the photo from there, but remember they can tell where you renewed your passport if its from dusseldorf and not the uk, gives them a little bit of a clue.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

There will be a lot of crossover between computer systems then that will inevitably catch everyone out I guess. Although our current government does seem to be rather incompetent where any bureaucracy is concerned except where it means collecting fines from middle class people (who, as easy targets, don't really need harassing any further)

If we don't have to retest when we come back home, and it's just about forking over some cash and photos to get the UK driving license back then it's not the end of the world.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 4:36 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

If we don't have to retest when we come back home, and it's just about forking over some cash and photos to get the UK driving license back then it's not the end of the world.
The authorities here don't actually take your UK licence away when you exchange it for a UAE one (strictly speaking they should take it and send it back to the DVLA so that you're no longer in physical possession of a UK licence, but that's far too much like work). As long as that situation continues then there's literally nothing to be done when you move back to the UK - you're a permanent resident again, so your licence is valid.

The only downside is that you will probably have to start again from zero no-claims discount with your car insurance. UAE insurers often accept proof of NCD from UK insurers, but you may well have problems convincing UK insurers to accept NCD from UAE insurers.

Last edited by Eeyore; Dec 9th 2012 at 4:42 am.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The authorities here don't actually take your UK licence away when you exchange it for a UAE one (strictly speaking they should take it and send it back to the DVLA so that you're no longer in physical possession of a UK licence, but that's far too much like work). As long as that situation continues then there's literally nothing to be done when you move back to the UK - you're a permanent resident again, so your licence is valid.

The only downside is that you will probably have to start again from zero no-claims discount with your car insurance. UAE insurers often accept proof of NCD from UK insurers, but you may well have problems convincing UK insurers to accept NCD from UAE insurers.
1) That reminds me, on having updated my photo section I was supposed to send DVLA my old one back, cut up. Better get on it soon!

2) I'm going to Saudi, does anyone return from their pinball table like roads with any NCD?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to Saudi, does anyone return from their pinball table like roads with any NCD?
No....