British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   HSBC Visa Debit cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hsbc-visa-debit-cards-779682/)

Spugsy Dec 5th 2012 8:15 am

HSBC Visa Debit cards

Simply can't be used to buy stuff online.

What the f•ck is the point of that?? It's a Visa card and there's plenty of cash in yet I have to borrow Mrs Spugsys card to order stuff from Amazon.

What a load of hairy balls.

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 8:29 am

Re: HSBC Visa Debit cards

Think its the same with all debit cards here, certainly is with my ADCB one. Had to get a credit card to buy on-line. No idea why.

LaLaLayla Dec 5th 2012 9:39 am

Yep, same with UNB.

Beakersful Dec 5th 2012 4:11 pm

A Natwest Visa Debit card can be used online by residents in the UK to buy from Amazon. What's the differences here exactly?

Eeyore Dec 5th 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10417549)
A Natwest Visa Debit card can be used online by residents in the UK to buy from Amazon

Pretty much *any* UK-issued debit card can be used online.

What's the differences here exactly?
The banking system is extremely backward.

Does anybody have a UAE-issued credit card with chip & PIN, out of interest? Our HSBC one doesn't (although our debit card does), and it occasionally causes problems when used in the UK. Some shop assistants have flat-out never had to swipe a card and just look at it blankly, and I think all retailers are within their rights to refuse a non-C&P card if they want.

flood2 Dec 5th 2012 6:27 pm

think yourself lucky. My HSBC debit card has stopped working. Must be magnetic strip problems... I have many dirhams available, but no card that works!

I called HSBC and I cannot get through as my mobile number does not match my recorded number. No can you please hold while we connect you. Just **** off as you do not match.

jokers

Beakersful Dec 5th 2012 6:39 pm

As I'm still waiting on my visa application this situation is interesting. I have the card I mentioned and bills to pay in the UK with it, and use online to get things. But I will be setting up a Saudi bank account when I arrive (insert piece of string metaphor) so limitations of banking in-country are an education in itself it appears. I do wonder what will happen when my current bank card expires as I'm not intending to have a UK residency address for a while.

ps. I applied for a credit card here in the UK but got turned down, I think it might be something to do with having an ex-wife (nuff said!) What are the odds on applying when set up in KSA?

Meow Dec 6th 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10417549)
A Natwest Visa Debit card can be used online by residents in the UK to buy from Amazon. What's the differences here exactly?

That this isn't the UK?

The banking system is quite different.

Edit> Just seen your latest post. DO NOT cancel your UK bank account as you'd find it hard toopen one if you returned. Nat West should allow you to use an overseas PO Box, or have the address registered to family in the UK.

Beakersful Dec 6th 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10418639)
That this isn't the UK?

The banking system is quite different.

Edit> Just seen your latest post. DO NOT cancel your UK bank account as you'd find it hard toopen one if you returned. Nat West should allow you to use an overseas PO Box, or have the address registered to family in the UK.

Thanks, I was in my branch yesterday asking many questions relating to retaining and usingbit. The registered address of the card didn't come up so that'll be on the followup.

The ability to use a 'proper' account is pretty essential, and although I've lived many places round the world, never in an Islamic state(GS) It's bad enough DVLA told me over the phone that when my current driving license (photo section) runs out I'll need a Uk residency address to renew it (madness!) So I renewed it there and then to give me a decade of hastle free motoring.

Eeyore Dec 6th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10418824)
when my current driving license (photo section) runs out I'll need a Uk residency address to renew it (madness!)

No, not madness at all. I'm guessing you probably don't realise that your UK driving licence is only valid while you are a permanent resident of the UK? As an expat, you can't use it to drive while visiting the UK. Or rather, you *can* - car rental places will accept it without question - but if you have an accident and it's revealed that you're an expat, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence and insurance.

OleJanx Dec 6th 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10419689)
No, not madness at all. I'm guessing you probably don't realise that your UK driving licence is only valid while you are a permanent resident of the UK? As an expat, you can't use it to drive while visiting the UK. Or rather, you *can* - car rental places will accept it without question - but if you have an accident and it's revealed that you're an expat, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence and insurance.

All the time I hired cars in the UK I always used the relevant (valid ) Gulf licence. Less problems with speeding tickets,etc, too.

jackthehat Dec 6th 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10419718)
All the time I hired cars in the UK I always used the relevant (valid ) Gulf licence. Less problems with speeding tickets,etc, too.

Same with me too! - Refer to previous Postings. If you have 'Exchanged your UK Driving Licence for an Overseas Licence, the UK Licence is 'Invalid!' - I have had that confirmed by DVLC! - Desipite me having a UK Driving Licence for Life in 1976!

Beakersful Dec 6th 2012 4:23 pm

I understood you can apply to gain a driving license in KSA, but no one pointed out you're effectively "exchanging" it!

So, on a brief trip home you use the KSA one, but what if you eventually return permanently? Do you exchange the KSA one back? I presume you don't have to retest back in the UK? I am guessing the, er, 'culture clash' (won't say 'necessary bad habits') will mean a lot of retraining. I've got a few licenses and am proficient and safe, but even oak breaks sometimes, and I remember when we came home from living round the world and my mother panicking because they'd built one of them 'new fangled' roundabouts where she had finally got round to taking her test.

OleJanx Dec 6th 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10419733)
Same with me too! - Refer to previous Postings. If you have 'Exchanged your UK Driving Licence for an Overseas Licence, the UK Licence is 'Invalid!' - I have had that confirmed by DVLC! - Desipite me having a UK Driving Licence for Life in 1976!

Are you sure it's not until you are 70?

Beakersful Dec 6th 2012 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10419689)

Actually, something else I forgot to mention on this. When I rang DVLA up, as my photo section had run out and I trying to sort it out (£25 and 3 working days till delivery, so not so bad,) I said I was leaving the country and where the photo section was applicablle received an explanation that driving in the UK without a valid photo section was a ticketable offence, but he didn't know if it was an offence abroad. Also, if you make your family home your registered address, there shouldn't be any problem renewing in future. However, that you're not living there and are actually working abroad (next we come into Residency territory I guess......)

They don't half make these things confusing.