Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How much spending money needed for Bali

How much spending money needed for Bali

Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much spending money needed for Bali

Morning guys

I am off to Bali in a couple of months and wanted to ask if anyone has a ballpark amount of how much money to take. I am going for 10 days I know it is best to change money whilst i am there. Do you know if they prefer dollars or GBP

TIA
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: How much spending money needed for Bali

No idea on preference, the places changing seemed to list a great amount of currencies. Surely dollars are better given how worthless the pound is?

Incidentally, I just took money out of a cash machine or used credit card when buying shit.

Pretty reasonable place I thought...depending on where you go and what you do though.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No idea on preference, the places changing seemed to list a great amount of currencies. Surely dollars are better given how worthless the pound is?

Incidentally, I just took money out of a cash machine or used credit card when buying shit.

Pretty reasonable place I thought...depending on where you go and what you do though.
Thanks. Was it quite cheap there? I heard it was around the same cost as Phuket
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by reddiva
Thanks. Was it quite cheap there? I heard it was around the same cost as Phuket
Ermm...so....

Out and about in Seminyak I didn't think it was that expensive for a beer or lunch etc.
Dinner in the nice places, highly ranked on TripHelmet were not all Dubai expensive but certainly not filthy cheap. Food was generally reasonable but the wine was lumpy if I remember correctly.

It's really hard to say. I know that bucket of Bintang beers delivered to our villa in the hotel for my nightly pool party for one/two (depending on temperature) worked out, with taxes and service etc, at about 12dhs a bottle, which I thought was excellent.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Bali is expensive for SE Asia but still cheap in comparison to the rest of the world. Can get spendy if you go down the 5* hotel route, but that's the same everywhere in Asia.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Silk is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a lot of info on Bali on the International Living Australia site here:

https://internationalliving.com/au/countries/bali/
Old Jan 25th 2019, 9:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We never change money there - too easy to get ripped off when they're counting out in millions. Take a bit of cash, use your credit card everywhere you can.

It can be cheap or expensive, depending on what and where you like to eat. Organise transfer and tour drivers, etc., independently rather than through your accommodation as they'll overcharge, but agree prices in advance. Bargain but don't feel the need to screw them out of one last dollar - it means more to them than it does to you. Make sure taxi drivers use meters - if they won't, get out. We used Uber a lot last time we were there but they wanted cash - bit odd but we did it. (And be aware the taxi drivers can get quite violent about Ubers.)

When in Bali drink Bintang, not wine. International wine is expensive, local wine is dire. We rent villas rather than staying in hotels so take in as much champagne as customs will allow, plus a couple of small bottles of spirits, buy mixers in the supermarket - sundowners sorted.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kooky.
We never change money there - too easy to get ripped off when they're counting out in millions. Take a bit of cash, use your credit card everywhere you can.

It can be cheap or expensive, depending on what and where you like to eat. Organise transfer and tour drivers, etc., independently rather than through your accommodation as they'll overcharge, but agree prices in advance. Bargain but don't feel the need to screw them out of one last dollar - it means more to them than it does to you. Make sure taxi drivers use meters - if they won't, get out. We used Uber a lot last time we were there but they wanted cash - bit odd but we did it. (And be aware the taxi drivers can get quite violent about Ubers.)

When in Bali drink Bintang, not wine. International wine is expensive, local wine is dire. We rent villas rather than staying in hotels so take in as much champagne as customs will allow, plus a couple of small bottles of spirits, buy mixers in the supermarket - sundowners sorted.
Thanks.