Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How important is the use of proper written English?

How important is the use of proper written English?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:53 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How important is the use of proper written English?

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
From BBC cricket coverage (TMS):

Jon in the TMS inbox: "Re: txt in speech. My friend's mother thought 'LOL' meant 'lots of love'. She wrote her an email: 'Your gran just died LOL'."
heh heh!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
From BBC cricket coverage (TMS):

Jon in the TMS inbox: "Re: txt in speech. My friend's mother thought 'LOL' meant 'lots of love'. She wrote her an email: 'Your gran just died LOL'."
Mrs The also uses LOL for 'Lots of Love'. I'll tell her the Gran story.

Personal whine: on a traditional phone keypad (where ABC is on the 2 key, DEF on the 3 key, etc), I could never understand 'gr8' for 'great' as it takes exactly the same number of key strokes to write it in full. Not 'cool' enough I suppose.

And what's this 'da' for 'the' that I'm seeing a lot of lately?????
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:53 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Working for a US firm in a place that seems to prefer American spelling, it has become second nature to me now. I am not amused. As EM says, the date format is even worse though.

I will entirely rewrite text messages if I am a few characters over the limit (not to save money - Etisalat won't seem to deliver longer ones when roaming) rather than change "you" to "u" and so on. I also hate the Americanism "thru", frequently write "etc." as "&c." or accidentally write "usw.", get pissed off when people don't use "yours sincerely" and "yours faithfully" properly, and shiver uncomfortably whenever someone writes "your" for "you're".

On the other hand, I'm very comfortable using lol, wtf, omg, bbq and so on. Then again, while EM was racing his Nova, I was using computer bulletin board systems. I had my first email address (really a FidoNet address) in 1991.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do text speak full stop, even in texts, would rather send two text than do text speak. I am not perfect though and I am sure I have made many grammatical mistakes, but I do try
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Up until about a month ago I always, but always, fully punctuated all my texts (and--as you may have noticed--I'm a heavy punctuator). But, since the purpose of communication is to get an idea out of my brain into someone else's, I have relented. It does depend on who I'm texting, but in most cases I use texts informally, so does it really matter if they're not grammatically perfect if--as intended--they serve to get my idea out of my brain into someone else's?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:29 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It seems that people are increasingly using 'text speak' in written communication, as well as ignoring grammar and punctuation. This happens in business, not only in social correspondence.

Does it bother you? Would you rather see proper written English used everywhere? I cannot be the only one who struggles to understand the 'stream of consciousness' posting of some and so ignore it.

On this board we have several posters who are somewhat cavalier with our language, but the ones that I don't understand are those who are seeking work, yet still don't take the effort to write properly. Surely any employer would not be impressed by this?

Your thoughts?
I've always hated badly-written pieces, but gosh, my nerves are currently being seriously challenged by published papers by academics.

I can hardly believe the mistakes - everything under the sun, from incorrect conjugation, grammar, misspelling and endless sentences that have no meaning at all. The worst thing is that 3/4 of these mistakes have obviously slipped through the spell-check and the author hasn't bothered to go any further.

I take a hard line on such things. If you can't put your points across clearly on paper, then you either haven't understood what you're saying or you're too lazy to try... neither of which are good qualities.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:37 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Up until about a month ago I always, but always, fully punctuated all my texts (and--as you may have noticed--I'm a heavy punctuator). But, since the purpose of communication is to get an idea out of my brain into someone else's, I have relented. It does depend on who I'm texting, but in most cases I use texts informally, so does it really matter if they're not grammatically perfect if--as intended--they serve to get my idea out of my brain into someone else's?
I think that texts between friends are a different issue to communicating by letter, email or even on a forum such as this, particularly when asking about a job.

I find certain abbreviations and particularly a total lack of punctuation very hard to follow. If I was looking for employees that applicant would go straight on the 'hasn't a hope' pile.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:06 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

There is a big difference between work and typing responses on forums IMO.

It pisses me off when certain posters always highlight gramatical and spelling errors on here.

My work involves loads of emails to clients and official letters/tenders that i ensure are correct.

On here though, i cant be arsed checking the spelling of what i have typed or the correct grammar, or youre you're etc.

SMS wise-i type correctly and not text speak. Also when i see facebook status pages with text speak, i simply do not read it and assume it is typed by some pre pubescent teenager.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

An SMS is limited to a certain number of characters. You go over that limit and you pay for two messages. That's why people use things like BRB. It saves space and money.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:18 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

As to job applicants, I tolerate minor slips in a CV or covering letter if the applicant isn't British (if they are, both documents have got to be grammatically and idiomatically spot on, at least for office or managerial jobs).

My Filipina admin staff sometime struggle with me: they often create letters to banks for me to sign, and although their English may be grammatically correct, it still isn't necessarily idiomatic, and since the letters are in my name, I insist they put them into British English. Mind you, the people dealing with them in the banks are most likely Indian, so I'm not sure there's much point...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I know my grammar is shite on here- typos, missed punctuation, often just jibber, however, I am a stickler for grammar in the workplace.

I have in the past, been sent a CV with a cover letter sent in text speak;for example;

i wld luv 2 cum and work 4 u. i <3 ur wrk

Apart from the fact it took me about half an hour to decipher, I was absolutely horrified. I sent an email back thanking for her interest and told her that I was not able to take people who are unable to write a formal letter and thought she should know that it is unacceptable and she should change her format, if she ever expects a response to her CV. I didn't get a response from her.

So yes, I believe it is still very important.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:24 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
An SMS is limited to a certain number of characters. You go over that limit and you pay for two messages. That's why people use things like BRB. It saves space and money.
oh yeah, saves a ****ing fortune.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:25 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ok, I know my grammar is shite on here- typos, missed punctuation, often just jibber, however, I am a stickler for grammar in the workplace.

I have in the past, been sent a CV with a cover letter sent in text speak;for example;

i wld luv 2 cum and work 4 u. i <3 ur wrk

Apart from the fact it took me about half an hour to decipher, I was absolutely horrified. I sent an email back thanking for her interest and told her that I was not able to take people who are unable to write a formal letter and thought she should know that it is unacceptable and she should change her format, if she ever expects a response to her CV. I didn't get a response from her.

So yes, I believe it is still very important.
That's just mental though, why would she do that unless she was 7 years old?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming she was thick as shite!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:57 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I am assuming she was thick as shite!
lol (for spugsy)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.