British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How important is the use of proper written English? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-important-use-proper-written-english-699266/)

Meow Jan 5th 2011 6:50 am

How important is the use of proper written English?

It seems that people are increasingly using 'text speak' in written communication, as well as ignoring grammar and punctuation. This happens in business, not only in social correspondence.

Does it bother you? Would you rather see proper written English used everywhere? I cannot be the only one who struggles to understand the 'stream of consciousness' posting of some and so ignore it.

On this board we have several posters who are somewhat cavalier with our language, but the ones that I don't understand are those who are seeking work, yet still don't take the effort to write properly. Surely any employer would not be impressed by this?

Your thoughts?

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2011 7:02 am

Re: How important is the use of proper written English?

I detest 'text speak'. I get really annoyed when I get a SMS using abbreviations such as gr8.

My grammar is not perfect, but when you see the way youngsters of today talk/write I feel like an Oxford professor.

It's just laziness (and a decline in the standards of education). Bring back the 11+.

Spugsy Jan 5th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9078447)
It seems that people are increasingly using 'text speak' in written communication, as well as ignoring grammar and punctuation. This happens in business, not only in social correspondence.

Does it bother you? Would you rather see proper written English used everywhere? I cannot be the only one who struggles to understand the 'stream of consciousness' posting of some and so ignore it.

On this board we have several posters who are somewhat cavalier with our language, but the ones that I don't understand are those who are seeking work, yet still don't take the effort to write properly. Surely any employer would not be impressed by this?

Your thoughts?

I utterly deteste anyone who even uses text speak in texts, never mind in emais or written text. There's just no need for it at all.

Also I have to do some brochures and other stuff using the American way of spelling, which I also hate.

Spugsy Jan 5th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9078463)
I detest 'text speak'. I get really annoyed when I get a SMS using abbreviations such as gr8.

My grammar is not perfect, but when you see the way youngsters of today talk/write I feel like an Oxford professor.

It's just laziness (and a decline in the standards of education). Bring back the 11+.

or the cane.

Millhouse Jan 5th 2011 8:11 am

Are you saying you do not fully understand BusyBee's posts and that they aggravate you?

I think that it is down to age - I believe that I must be one of the last that gets pissed off by sloppy language and "text" speak. I cannot even bring my self to write 'u' in a text message. It is even more irritating when I see it in emails.

Spugsy Jan 5th 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9078560)
Are you saying you do not fully understand BusyBee's posts and that they aggravate you?

I think that it is down to age - I believe that I must be one of the last that gets pissed off by sloppy language and "text" speak. I cannot even bring my self to write 'u' in a text message. It is even more irritating when I see it in emails.

it's not as bad as 'lol' though.

Millhouse Jan 5th 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9078577)

That is true... but worse is DH, DS, DD - these should punished by bug zapping.

I think how much it annoys you is a function of your age. I'm 32 and I believe that anyone 2 years younger than me isn't affected by it. The internet (and coincidently SMS messaging) basically came in to mainstream existence in 1995. As I was 17 it (sort of) missed me as I was busy chasing girls and racing the Nova. I think that had I been 12 or 15 at the time my views might be different.

Meow Jan 5th 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9078546)
I utterly deteste anyone who even uses text speak in texts, never mind in emais or written text. There's just no need for it at all.

Also I have to do some brochures and other stuff using the American way of spelling, which I also hate.

I have been doing some consultancy work for a local bank that is insistent in using American spellings. It has pained me to write that way.

On a side note, I have had to rewrite a load of their inhouse literature. The best part was when in printed documents they offered to meet their customers 'in the convenience'. :D Now that's personal service!

Madam Medusa Jan 5th 2011 8:32 am

i think grammar is extremely important...and terrorised the girls in my team when they gave me draft press releases with incorrect grammar/bad spelling...

i can't bear it when people mix up their/there, your/you're etc...and split infinitives are my own personal bete noire...

that said, in texts, i do use text speak, it's much quicker...but would never use it in any form of non-text written conversation...

sorry spugsy, i use lol a lot...but agree with millhouse the whole dd, ds stuff is just cringey...

MM, xx

Millhouse Jan 5th 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9078602)
I have been doing some consultancy work for a local bank that is insistent in using American spellings. It has pained me to write that way.

On a side note, I have had to rewrite a load of their inhouse literature. The best part was when in printed documents they offered to meet their customers 'in the convenience'. :D Now that's personal service!

Oh those 'z' - it pains me to say this, but more often than not I just accept them now.

I now work for an American Bank - I can accept the 'z', but not the date format.

shiva Jan 5th 2011 8:36 am

nitpicking perhaps but i do feel that given the content of the thread, the title could perhaps, just maybe, have been thought out a little better :p
imho

NorthernLad Jan 5th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9078577)

From BBC cricket coverage (TMS):

Jon in the TMS inbox: "Re: txt in speech. My friend's mother thought 'LOL' meant 'lots of love'. She wrote her an email: 'Your gran just died LOL'."

Meow Jan 5th 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9078617)
nitpicking perhaps but i do feel that given the content of the thread, the title could perhaps, just maybe, have been thought out a little better :p
imho

Pot/kettle interface.

You might want to consider capital letters and punctuation...

shiva Jan 5th 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9078623)
Pot/kettle interface.

You might want to consider capital letters and punctuation...

just saying like

Spugsy Jan 5th 2011 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9078610)
i think grammar is extremely important...and terrorised the girls in my team when they gave me draft press releases with incorrect grammar/bad spelling...

i can't bear it when people mix up their/there, your/you're etc...and split infinitives are my own personal bete noire...

that said, in texts, i do use text speak, it's much quicker...but would never use it in any form of non-text written conversation...

sorry spugsy, i use lol a lot...but agree with millhouse the whole dd, ds stuff is just cringey...

MM, xx

anyone, and I mean anyone, inparticular old friends from school who seem to do it, who can't get 'they're' and 'their' right are just idiots.

Stupid bumbling idiots.