Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How do you get your tea/coffee/beverages at work?

How do you get your tea/coffee/beverages at work?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get your tea/coffee/beverages at work?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I’m with G here for three main reasons:
1. I’m obstinate.
2. It minimises the amount of time you have to stand around to make a good brew by allowing you to do the mandatory “office milk sniff test” while being brewed.
3. It’s easier to regulate temperature with the small volume of milk added rather than guessing and ending up with either half a cup of tea at the right temperature or a whole cup so hot your children will be in retirement by the time they can drink it.

Edit to add: Though I'm willing to field opinions on microwaving a cup of water to heat it, for some reason I can't explain it does change the experience of consuming.
My tea has to be the right colour, i hate tea that looks wishy washy.

Have you ever been for afternoon tea anywhere and they put the milk in first, how uncouth, really some people...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Come on, it's bag, milk, hot water!
Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
oh dear, you are not the tea connoisseur I thought you was. You never put the milk in first doll
You are so wrong!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/ju...ighereducation

I started doing the milk first when I lived in a hard water area, I noticed it stopped the scum forming on the surface - no going back now!
Bleedin Guardian readers.... think they know everything:

http://www.tea.co.uk/make-a-perfect-brew
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Bleedin Guardian readers.... think they know everything:

http://www.tea.co.uk/make-a-perfect-brew
what can I say.....
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on, it's bag, milk, hot water!
You must be joking. You cannot mix the tea-bag with milk and then add the boiling water. The tea will not brew properly. As for the Guardian article, it merely says you should make the tea in a pot with boiling water, then pour into a cup which already contains milk. I have no problem with that so long as the correct quantity of milk is poured, not too much and not too little. Never put the tea-bag into milk first.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
You must be joking. You cannot mix the tea-bag with milk and then add the boiling water. The tea will not brew properly. As for the Guardian article, it merely says you should make the tea in a pot with boiling water, then pour into a cup which already contains milk. I have no problem with that so long as the correct quantity of milk is poured, not too much and not too little. Never put the tea-bag into milk first.
Well in fairness that isn't how I do it. I put the milk in the cup, hold the bag with the string off the milk and pour the hot water onto the elevated bag. That way you get the best of both.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You put the milk into the cup first in order to stop the very hot tea from damaging your bone china cup. Don't tell me you lot drink from mugs?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You put the milk into the cup first in order to stop the very hot tea from damaging your bone china cup. Don't tell me you lot drink from mugs?
I wouldn't be surprised. These people are very uncouth.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Mug? Whats that, I have got a special tea tankard...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How do you get your tea/coffee/beverages at work?

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
My tea has to be the right colour, i hate tea that looks wishy washy.
Is this conversation still about tea? It's starting to sound a bit prejudice.

I used to work on a building site over high school holidays to make a bit of pocket money and they used to put the tea bags straight into the kettle while boiling. Good times .
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Is this conversation still about tea? It's starting to sound a bit prejudice.

I used to work on a building site over high school holidays to make a bit of pocket money and they used to put the tea bags straight into the kettle while boiling. Good times .
Nicely done. I broke a kettle trying to warm up soup in this way.

My mate (who still works on site) tells me that in the absence of toilet paper what you do is while having a dump is sit there and keep scrunching up the a few sheets from the Sun. Eventually it goes soft enough to wipe a builders ass.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

A long, long time ago I can still remember how my Sri Lankan girlfriend used to make tea. Tea bags plus milk into the teapot, then the boiling water. Ugh.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:50 am
Hit 16's

My mate (who still works on site) tells me that in the absence of toilet paper what you do is while having a dump is sit there and keep scrunching up the a few sheets from the Sun. Eventually it goes soft enough to wipe a builders ass.
Izal.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:54 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How do you get your tea/coffee/beverages at work?

What a crap kettle, I hope you took it back and complained .
Can’t be any worse than the Izal toilet paper they had at my school, worth the saving of every few pennies a role no doubt .
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Trust you to bring a very nice thread about tea down to builder's bums
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:56 am
Hit 16's

Izal.
On the whole I never found it satisfactory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.