Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:43 am
Just Joined

otto2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Hi,

I've been living in Dubai with my Girlfriend for the past 18 months, working as a quantity surveyor. I've really just had enough of long hours & unrealistic deadlines at work... all just to pay crazy rental prices. Plus with the looming Slowdown, I'm unlikely to get any sort of pay increase for a while!

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any Idea on where in the world would be good to go next, preferably somewhere where there are good opportunities in Construction and where hours of work are reasonible to have a good work/life balance.

I've been thinking of Melbourne in Auz or maybe New Zealand. Any one any insight?

Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Originally Posted by otto2k
Hi,

I've been living in Dubai with my Girlfriend for the past 18 months, working as a quantity surveyor. I've really just had enough of long hours & unrealistic deadlines at work... all just to pay crazy rental prices. Plus with the looming Slowdown, I'm unlikely to get any sort of pay increase for a while!

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any Idea on where in the world would be good to go next, preferably somewhere where there are good opportunities in Construction and where hours of work are reasonible to have a good work/life balance.

I've been thinking of Melbourne in Auz or maybe New Zealand. Any one any insight?

Thanks
Sharjah?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:21 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

...spent 25 years in Melbourne and loved it...though the tax rate at about 48% was a killer...hence Dubai now.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

India or China?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
...spent 25 years in Melbourne and loved it...though the tax rate at about 48% was a killer...hence Dubai now.
you paid taxes in australia?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanks
I sympathise with you 100%.

I am out of here also in 3 weeks.

Thinking of Australia, they dont have stupid rents and the life is nice.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
My sentiments exactly, hence the change to the oil sector! Bechtel are recruiting heavily for the new international airport at Doha, supposedly 5 days a week! If you are interested, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the UK recruitment agency.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scarletfan
My sentiments exactly, hence the change to the oil sector! Bechtel are recruiting heavily for the new international airport at Doha, supposedly 5 days a week! If you are interested, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the UK recruitment agency.
Doha is a good place to contract, a lot of Brits there aparently.

Do you know if they are looking for any IT or Business Change Project Managers.?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:55 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
you paid taxes in australia?
..yep..also had to pay taxis
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Doha is a good place to contract, a lot of Brits there aparently.

Do you know if they are looking for any IT or Business Change Project Managers.?
Sorry no idea, the Recruitment Agency that contacted me deals with Quantity Surveyors and the like
Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
India or China?

I would say so but you will run into accomodation problems and exhorbitant(sp?) rents in India too.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sharjah?
try Al Ain, seriously
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

If you are leaving Dubai because of crazy rentals, and thinking of Doha........suggest you check out Doha rental prices!!!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Australia, including Melbourne and Sydney, is also in the grip of a rental crisis where costs are out of control and vacany rates for rental properties are in most places below 1%. Additionally, the worldwide economic slowdown is starting to impact in Australia with many jobs being lost and rising unemployment. Particularly in the construction industry most companies are laying off rather than hiring, therefore your job prospects would not be good. NZ is officially in a recession so can't imagine prospects there would be too much better
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:08 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks

I am currently a Commercial Manager in New Zealand and have been offered a post in Dubai, originally from Scotland. The market over here is on it's knees however I know a few agancies who are always looking for good QS's. salaries here not as good as Oz and you will have to pay tax at 39%, much the same as the UK.

I would be happy to give you information on the agencies if required. Are you PQS or Contractor?

What sort of range of salary would a QS expect in Dubai working for a contractor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.