Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had enough of Dubai - But where to next???

Originally Posted by otto2k
Hi,

I've been living in Dubai with my Girlfriend for the past 18 months, working as a quantity surveyor. I've really just had enough of long hours & unrealistic deadlines at work... all just to pay crazy rental prices. Plus with the looming Slowdown, I'm unlikely to get any sort of pay increase for a while!

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any Idea on where in the world would be good to go next, preferably somewhere where there are good opportunities in Construction and where hours of work are reasonible to have a good work/life balance.

I've been thinking of Melbourne in Auz or maybe New Zealand. Any one any insight?

Thanks
Canada, Oz or Singapore...China too - they are pumping a lot of money into construction (more than the entire national budget of the UAE just into infrastructure alone for next year was just announced).

Of course there's always Milton Keynes!

N.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:08 am
W10

Originally Posted by mrskpd
Australia, including Melbourne and Sydney, is also in the grip of a rental crisis where costs are out of control and vacany rates for rental properties are in most places below 1%.
I was looking at rental prices in Melbourne the other day and found plenty of nice, modern 1 beds near the sea for around 2,000 aussie dollars a month. Is that not the reality?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
I was looking at rental prices in Melbourne the other day and found plenty of nice, modern 1 beds near the sea for around 2,000 aussie dollars a month. Is that not the reality?
$2,000 AUD is a LOT for a one bed in australia. And the reality is that though there may be plenty advertised they are gone in a flash, I have plenty of friends in both Melbourne and Sydney that have spent the better part of 6 months applying for rental properties with no success. Every nice apartment by the sea will have at least 50 - 60 people applying for it the moment it is advertised, it is brutal
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

$2,000 AUD is a LOT for a one bed in australia. And the reality is that though there may be plenty advertised they are gone in a flash, I have plenty of friends in both Melbourne and Sydney that have spent the better part of 6 months applying for rental properties with no success. Every nice apartment by the sea will have at least 50 - 60 people applying for it the moment it is advertised, it is brutal
Rental's in good areas Australia are being snapped up really quickly. We waited 10 weeks to move into a place in Perth in January, when we broke the lease to come here in August, we had one open house, and it was leased the next day. Our home in Brisbane was tenanted a couple of days after we moved out.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:47 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
There are heaps of places cheaper than that near the sea. Try a search on:

http://www.domain.com.au/

There is always a cool breeze from Port Philip Bay onshore...many people rent further inland along tram line routes that lead to the beaches at St Kilda or Port Melbourne, e.g., Richmond, Fitzroy, North Fitzroy where rents are cheaper. I used to live in Fitzroy near Brunswick Street - a bohemian lifestyle, younger crowd, lots of cafes and nightlife...and a 10-minute walk to the CBD... and away from the cold coastal breezes from Antarctica.

You should easily get a 1-bedroom flat with parking space of AUD $210 - $400 per week.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

You should easily get a 1-bedroom flat with parking space of AUD $210 - $400 per week. [/QUOTE]

ahhhh, unfortunately, at the moment you won't!! perhaps several years ago but not now. The rental amount is kind of right, but the easily part is definitely wrong!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

You should easily get a 1-bedroom flat with parking space of AUD $210 - $400 per week.
ahhhh, unfortunately, at the moment you won't!! perhaps several years ago but not now. The rental amount is kind of right, but the easily part is definitely wrong![/QUOTE]

You're right not easy to get a rental. Agents are having an open house and showing scores of people through at once - those people all put their applications in at once, accompanied by a week's rent. If your application is successful, then the weeks rent in non-refundable - if you take the property the weeks rent is deducted from your first month, if you choose not to take the property, you forfeit the money. This makes it difficult for people to apply for more than one property as they potentially could lose a couple of months rent if they apply for several places and are successful with every one.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:51 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
ahhhh, unfortunately, at the moment you won't!! perhaps several years ago but not now. The rental amount is kind of right, but the easily part is definitely wrong!
You're right not easy to get a rental. Agents are having an open house and showing scores of people through at once - those people all put their applications in at once, accompanied by a week's rent. If your application is successful, then the weeks rent in non-refundable - if you take the property the weeks rent is deducted from your first month, if you choose not to take the property, you forfeit the money. This makes it difficult for people to apply for more than one property as they potentially could lose a couple of months rent if they apply for several places and are successful with every one.[/QUOTE]

..must have changed since I was there...you used to hand in referees to the rental agent for the landlord to approve and then submit your bond money (AUD $600 to $ 900) and first month's rent to secure the place.

see the quotes are not working again..
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Dubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really niceDubaimover is just really nice

Hi,

We (AH me & kids) are currently living in Dubai. Moving to Brisbane in the new year!!!

Anyone else going or just gone would love to chat and get some much needed info!!

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mission
India or China?
Not tax free either, the P.R.China I mean, and international money transfers are a major headache as well (speak out of personal experience). Not to forget that the Chinese version of "Uncle Sam" who is watching every step you make. And don't think a UK or any other foreign passport you might have will help much over there either. Human rights? Always where, and always will be an illusion in China. The black market? Would make Dubai go wild in what you can buy on it. Anything from a slave to a fully equipped joint strike fighter if you have the US Dollars, or preferably Euro's to back it up. But one can earn mega bucks there if you know how to adapt.

Last edited by USExpat; Dec 18th 2008 at 7:24 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Well apparently Brazil is a prime oppurtunity at the moment. Govt will be spending about $140bn on infrastructure in the next year with a lot of knock on benefits coming out of it.

Portuguese would help mind.

Failing that Mexico is also a good bet.

I turned down a job for Bermuda today, still wondering if I made the right decision.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benzonar
Well apparently Brazil is a prime oppurtunity at the moment. Govt will be spending about $140bn on infrastructure in the next year with a lot of knock on benefits coming out of it.

Portuguese would help mind.

Failing that Mexico is also a good bet.

I turned down a job for Bermuda today, still wondering if I made the right decision.
Ever been to that part of the world? You made a king size mistake Benzonar.