Great article on ISIS

Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:56 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great article on ISIS

Originally Posted by andyrich666
It does not mention being backed by the CIA and MOssad once, a bit strange ?
Didn't mention the faked moon landing either. Strange.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
If one was to say (in England) what the Atlantic says about the Quran and point out that Islam is rather a hatefull screed would one be charged with a hate crime?
As this article illustrates, if ISIS were successful in their aspiration to have us all believe that only ISIS is the essence of "true" Islam, then I think it's reasonable to expect that most would be inclined to conclude that Islam is indeed a hateful religion, and serve only to encourage the very same religious intolerance ISIS promotes.

But then, a surprising number of non-muslims exhibit an inexplicable sympathy for ISIS - as if they are innocent victims, likely a result of the very same ignorance that would encourage people to conclude that Islam is a fundamentally hateful religion.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:24 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

But then, a surprising number of non-muslims exhibit an inexplicable sympathy for ISIS - as if they are innocent victims
First I've heard of this
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

But then, a surprising number of non-muslims exhibit an inexplicable sympathy for ISIS - as if they are innocent victims, likely a result of the very same ignorance that would encourage people to conclude that Islam is a fundamentally hateful religion.
I'm not sure what to make of this.

You're just 'supposing' and it's all very theoretical, but most Muslims aren't idiots and know that ISIS do not represent what the majority believes.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:07 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm not sure what to make of this.

You're just 'supposing' and it's all very theoretical, but most Muslims aren't idiots and know that ISIS do not represent what the majority believes.
Well that was a key point of the article this thread relates to.

ISIS' belief is that they are the only representation of "true" Islam, and their obviously effective propaganda machine does indeed cleverly encourage sympathy for that view, not only by targeting those most favouring religious tolerance, but also by instigating an increasing belief that Islam is a "hateful" religion, ultimately, encouraging the very same religious intolerance (or perhaps better stated as "ignorance") they themselves subscribe to.

Of course Muslims aren't stupid - that's the point. Religious intolerance isn't "theoretical". It's the entire problem.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 2:46 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

please elaborate...
examples? evidence? links?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
please elaborate...
examples? evidence? links?
sigh

Terrifying poll: Widespread sympathy for ISIS among British youth - Iraqi News

ISIS: One In Six French Citizens Support And Sympathize With The Islamic State, Poll Finds : News : Headlines & Global News

16% of French Citizens Support ISIS, Poll Finds

Sympathies aside, many in Japan see hostages slain by ISIS as troublemakers - East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

ISIS gaining sympathy in India: Intelligence report

ISIS In America: New Report Finds Dozens Of Supporters Hiding In Plain Sight

Need more?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:01 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

of all the links, none of them say non-muslims, almost all of them are about Muslim sympathizers
and the only japanese link about non-muslims is more to do with the japanese not wanting bad attention rather than them sympathizing with ISIS

your statement was : a surprising number of non-muslims exhibit an inexplicable sympathy for ISIS

I had asked for examples of NON-Muslims sympathizing with ISIS.

yes, I do need more.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:14 pm
Banned

Please, I'm not going to argue over pendantics.

The point is that it's equally ignorant to sympathise with ISIS as it is to conclude that Islam is a hateful religion.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:08 pm

Please, I'm not going to argue over pendantics.

and yes I do agree with you that sympathizing with ISIS, is as bad as broad generalization against Islam.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
and yes I do agree with you that sympathizing with ISIS, is as bad as broad generalization against Islam.
Exactly - that's what I said, and you challenged. I offered a response, and you challenged that too.
I'm glad we're in agreement now. Have a nice evening.

sigh
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
If one was to say (in England) what the Atlantic says about the Quran and point out that Islam is rather a hatefull screed would one be charged with a hate crime?
As above, appears to be very analagous to Christian End of Days stuff.

Is the Quran any more of a 'hatefull screed' than the Bible?

An interesting article indeed. Why do you think such an article would be 'charged with a hate crime (in England)'?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
As above, appears to be very analagous to Christian End of Days stuff.

Is the Quran any more of a 'hatefull screed' than the Bible?

An interesting article indeed. Why do you think such an article would be 'charged with a hate crime (in England)'?
Well there is quite a lot of justification in the Quran to kill and subjugate the non believer. It is different from Christianity in that Muhammed had no issue warring and killing his enemies and spreading Islam by the sword. Jesus on the other hand was a pacifist. I am agnostic by the way.

If a person in the UK was to publicly state or publish that Islam was hatefull would that bring hate crime charges??I am wondering...
Old Feb 20th 2015, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moon Flower
I didn't read the article or this thread but I will say this...I think ISIS is much to do about nothing. I mean why would the greatest military powers on earth fear a group that couldn't even fill Griffin Park. .....
Because they're a nebulous bunch who drift back and forth between the civilian population in many western countries and committing genocidal atrocities in Syria and Iraq, where they are also mingled in with "innocent civilians".
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... didn't the Americans kill over a million innocent civilians in Iraq? ....
No.

In any case the civilian casualties caused by American and British activities in Iraq were incidental/ accidental. Whereas the murders by ISIS are deliberate, intentional, and cruel, killing people who don't agree with them appears to be ISIS's main objective.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:16 pm

I don't suppose that is too comforting the the family members who lost loved ones there
I'm not sure. Being killed in a war is tragic, but IMHO not the same as having your head hacked off by a homicidal maniac who claims religious justification for murder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.