British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Great article on ISIS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/great-article-isis-852934/)

shiva Feb 18th 2015 6:07 am

Great article on ISIS

Long but well worth the read

What ISIS really wants

Boomhauer Feb 18th 2015 9:41 am

Re: Great article on ISIS

That is a great article, and instead of distancing Islam from ISIS as soo many try to claim, the article points out that ISIS is emulating the Quran.

shiva Feb 18th 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11568887)
That is a great article, and instead of distancing Islam from ISIS as soo many try to claim, the article points out that ISIS is emulating the Quran.

exactly

amideislas Feb 18th 2015 12:09 pm

Great article - and credible arguments too.

However, if ISIS is widely associated to be "true and authentic" Islam, then I suspect that will only precipitate much greater anti-Islamic sentiment and further religious division.

And according to the article, this is precisely what ISIS aspires to achieve in its quest to bring on the apocalypse.

troubling.

flares Feb 18th 2015 12:10 pm

they are really stupid aren't they

amideislas Feb 18th 2015 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11568998)

I assume you're being sarcastic, but that's the troubling thing; Stupid they most certainly are not. Drunk of their own ideology, yes. Stupid, no.

shiva Feb 18th 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11568998)

No more so than the American far right Christians who want the same war in the same place. Between them they are going to screw the region for another 20 years.

amideislas Feb 18th 2015 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11569012)
No more so than the American far right Christians who want the same war in the same place. Between them they are going to screw the region for another 20 years.

Luckily, the American far right is declining.

Sadly the same is not true for Muslim extremism.

And if you are somehow suggesting that Muslim extremism is solely the result of right-wing American policy, you should be aware that theory has pretty much been debunked by all that know anything about it, and as a matter of ideology, is not what Islamic radicalism is all about.

As a defender of religious tolerance, anti-Americanism is naturally a key part of extremist propaganda, but Muslim extremist ideology is fundamentally founded on the notion that non-muslims are infidels who must be exterminated - whoever they are. And, erm, that includes you, by the way.

shiva Feb 18th 2015 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11569061)
Luckily, the American far right is declining.

Sadly the same is not true for Muslim extremism.

And if you are somehow suggesting that Muslim extremism is solely the result of right-wing American policy, you should be aware that theory has pretty much been debunked by all that know anything about it, and as a matter of ideology, is not what Islamic radicalism is all about.

As a defender of religious tolerance, anti-Americanism is naturally a key part of extremist propaganda, but Muslim extremist ideology is fundamentally founded on the notion that non-muslims are infidels who must be exterminated - whoever they are. And, erm, that includes you, by the way.

Wow you read an awful lot into what I wrote and made more than a few assumptions.

amideislas Feb 18th 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11569072)
Wow you read an awful lot into what I wrote and made more than a few assumptions.

I accused you of nothing.

But you did express the wholly errant view that "right-wing America" is eager to "screw the region", a theory for which it has zero motivation to engage in. A peaceful mideast is the ideal scenario for the entire world, not just Americans. Nobody has anything to gain from stirring up even more unrest.

But I have to believe even you would admit that there is a massive amount of misunderstanding of what it's all about. Including that which you eluded to.

shiva Feb 18th 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11569095)
I accused you of nothing.

But you did express the wholly errant view that "right-wing America" is eager to "screw the region", a theory for which it has zero motivation to engage in. A peaceful mideast is the ideal scenario for the entire world, not just Americans. Nobody has anything to gain from stirring up even more unrest.

But I have to believe even you would admit that there is a massive amount of misunderstanding of what it's all about. Including that which you eluded to.

Ah so you didn't read my post at all. Didn't think so.

Christian far right. The very people who expouse the end of times with glee.

As for the rest there are plenty of people around the world for whom constant war in the Middle East is in fact the ideal scenario and a profitable one at that

Pulaski Feb 18th 2015 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11569012)

Well the region has been pretty well screwed for most of the past 4,000+ years, so what's another 20? :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11569182)
Ah so you didn't read my post at all. Didn't think so.

Christian far right. The very people who espouse the end of times with glee. ......

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Christian Far Right", but living in the US Bible belt as I do, I see no evidence of apocalyptic thinking, and very little hint of it even in the media across the US. There are plenty of people with a "right wing" mindset, but very few are particularly extreme, and the overwhelming majority of Christians are just regular church-going folk and not at all interested in "end of times" prophesies.

andyrich666 Feb 18th 2015 10:25 pm

It does not mention being backed by the CIA and MOssad once, a bit strange ?

Boomhauer Feb 18th 2015 11:08 pm

If one was to say (in England) what the Atlantic says about the Quran and point out that Islam is rather a hatefull screed would one be charged with a hate crime?

OleJanx Feb 19th 2015 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11569572)
If one was to say (in England) what the Atlantic says about the Quran and point out that Islam is rather a hatefull screed would one be charged with a hate crime?

More than likely.