Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

Originally Posted by Scamp
Very true, everyone will have a different opinion based on their own experiences.

The best thing about the Middle East is that it's still relatively unknown or misunderstood in the UK. The amount of times I've been asked if you can drink booze in Dubai by people back home is unbelievable.
For sure..had friends come out from the UK worrying about all sorts of things. The look on their faces when buying pork products for breakfast..priceless. It's far from being either as grim as some people try to paint it, or as amazing as others do. Anywhere can be as good or bad as you make it. And for all it's criticism, the gulf region is not a bad place to live for a westerner. Most things are accessible. Although I had a good time in Bahrain, I did find the overall place to be quite dull and boring. I am very much a fan of live music, and the middle east is certainly not the place to be..cover bands are not my thing. Most the bands I enjoy seeing live are probably banned in most muslim countries anyway. Even though I did go to a few local gigs with local bands, when the same line up is on every time they arranged events, it gets a bit tedious too. Probably one of the major factors which contributed to my decision to leave. I value life higher than my bank account.

I even know a guy who declined a position in Doha ($270 000) because he thought he would be murdered or kidnapped. He wouldn't listen to my arguements that Kabul and Doha were somewhat different, in his mind..'the middle east' was to be avoided at all costs in fear of his life.......