Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:34 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...expat-paradise

Paradise.

I'm sure banks don't steal money from you in paradise.

And I'm pretty sure Nakheel wouldn't be allowed in paradise either...

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forbes now saying UAE is paradise...

"Non-scientific" eh? So, in future, if someone replies that you are being"non-scientific", does that mean that they think you're talking a load of old bollocks?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I wonder how much they paid Forbes, to change the rating?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Paradise for locals maybe but certainly not for expats! Sound like money has changed hands.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

UAE money + pressure from friends in high places + American PR firms = Forbes backpeddaling.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
UAE money + pressure from friends in high places + American PR firms = Forbes backpeddaling.
Given that I agree with your formula and that it is highly likely to have been the case.....it makes me wonder how stupid this country thinks the rest of the world is?

Mad.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp
Given that I agree with your formula and that it is highly likely to have been the case.....it makes me wonder how stupid this country thinks the rest of the world is?

Mad.
It reminds me of an internal course I took last year on technical writing with a lot of Indians, Pakistanis etc..

The Aussie trainer had 2 newspaper reports on Abu Dhabi bailing out the burj Dubai to show 2 sides to a story...

The National report led the way with the naming as a sign of the greatness of the UAE (and Sheikh Khalifa) and no mention of Dubais debt etc. The BBC report mentioned Abu Dhabi bailing out a bankrupt Dubai from the edge of financial meltdown etc.

The trainer asked the group what version they believed and they all went with The National line, and that the tower was named after a great leader, not because of the money he paid.

Some shook there heads when I stood up for the BBC story! So brainwashing does seem to work
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's so easy to bash the UAE. The reality is that it isn't that bad - and the initial report was utter nonsense.

As an expat destination Dubai probably does compete with HK and Singapore when everything is taken into account. I've never said it is utpoia, but when I was leaving Abu Dhabi and had job offers in Frankfurt and Dubai or the fall back of going home, it really was a no-brainer. I think we discussed it for almost 2 minutes.

We have offices in HK and I'm not sure I would rush to move there - OK, it's fun but the pollution is awful and housing is crap.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
"Non-scientific" eh? So, in future, if someone replies that you are being"non-scientific", does that mean that they think you're talking a load of old bollocks?
Scientist - My findings are pointless when taken out of context.
Media - Scientist claims "findings are pointless"
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's so easy to bash the UAE. The reality is that it isn't that bad - and the initial report was utter nonsense.

As an expat destination Dubai probably does compete with HK and Singapore when everything is taken into account. I've never said it is utpoia, but when I was leaving Abu Dhabi and had job offers in Frankfurt and Dubai or the fall back of going home, it really was a no-brainer. I think we discussed it for almost 2 minutes.

We have offices in HK and I'm not sure I would rush to move there - OK, it's fun but the pollution is awful and housing is crap.
Having a rather substantial experience from SEA, I'd happily go there any day over anywhere in the ME. Housing in some places might be worse, but the general attitude of people is totally different. But I s'ppose it's what you value more..pollution or arseholes.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Having a rather substantial experience from SEA, I'd happily go there any day over anywhere in the ME. Housing in some places might be worse, but the general attitude of people is totally different. But I s'ppose it's what you value more..pollution or arseholes.
Very true, everyone will have a different opinion based on their own experiences.

The best thing about the Middle East is that it's still relatively unknown or misunderstood in the UK. The amount of times I've been asked if you can drink booze in Dubai by people back home is unbelievable.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Aye, who needs pollution when you can breathe in lovely, fresh....dust!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Aye, who needs pollution when you can breathe in lovely, fresh....dust!
At least in the UAE nobody drives cars with 3 or 4 litre+++ engines.

I like to think it's a positively carbon conscious country.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, everyone will have a different opinion based on their own experiences.

The best thing about the Middle East is that it's still relatively unknown or misunderstood in the UK. The amount of times I've been asked if you can drink booze in Dubai by people back home is unbelievable.
You should tell them that not only can you drink but you can get a hooker from a wide range of nationalities to rub pig fat on your nipples while you drink

Last edited by Boomhauer; Jan 23rd 2012 at 8:26 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

At least in the UAE nobody drives cars with 3 or 4 litre+++ engines.

I like to think it's a positively carbon conscious country.
3 or 4 litre engines? Don't be ridiculous! Far too small....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.