Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

In Flight Booze Illegal?

In Flight Booze Illegal?

Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:54 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Flight Booze Illegal?

Originally Posted by shiva
i thought tourists were exempt as long as it was in hotel grounds
Alcohol consumption in the UAE is only permitted in certain designated areas, such as licensed restaurants and bars attached to hotels. Tourists and residents can drink in these locations without holding a licence to buy alcohol. However, it is highly recommended that you own an alcohol licence if you wish to drink in the UAE.

Someone who has consumed alcohol in a permitted area can be arrested outside of that area if for whatever reason this fact is brought to the attention of the police, or they are found to be drunk and disorderly in a public area. This usually occurs when bar-goers are involved in a car accident – irrespective of whether they were driving or not – or even when they seek the help of the authorities after having consumed alcohol. The law still applies even if the person arrested holds a valid ‘purchasing’ alcohol licence: it is best to remember that while an alcohol licence enables you to purchase alcohol, it does not allow you to drink it in public places or to be drunk in public areas.

The UAE Penal Code establishes the punishments for those who are found to be drunk in public, and the rule is zero tolerance. Alcohol drinkers can be sentenced to between one month and six months in jail and may face a fine ranging from Dhs1,000 to Dhs2,000.

When it comes to drink driving, even a sip of alcohol is not allowed. Anyone caught driving under the influence can face a lengthy spell in jail, a fine, deportation and confiscation of their car.
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledg...-law-explained
Old Jun 5th 2014, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
When it comes to drink driving, even a sip of alcohol is not allowed. Anyone caught driving under the influence can face a lengthy spell in jail, a fine, deportation and confiscation of their car.
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledg...-law-explained
Quite rightly so. I'm always shocked when I see drink drivers here.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If you drink on a BA flight and land in the UAE without a booze license you're breaking the law.
You'd need to be drunk to book flights on BA! Ghastly airline.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
You'd need to be drunk to book flights on BA! Ghastly airline.
what's so bad about it? It's half the price of Emirates - offers more food on the dubai-london route and has better economy seats.

I think people are always too harsh on BA and favorable on EK.

Who cares if the waitresses look like they've been cooked at 220 for 4 hours.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:46 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's half the price of Emirates - offers more food on the dubai-london route and has better economy seats.

Obviously YMMV but I experienced the exact opposite and now always fly EK, 380 if possible.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

what's so bad about it? It's half the price of Emirates - offers more food on the dubai-london route and has better economy seats.

Who cares if the waitresses look like they've been cooked at 220 for 4 hours.
half the price, less than half the service and a bunch of ****ing miserable ***** working onboard. Last flew them internationally about 3 years ago, was so bloody awful that I complained and kicked up stink, later letter wrote and got bugger all meaningful response.
still have to fly them glasgow to london and thats about as long as i'll give them. even in that hour flight they often manage to **** something up.

Id rather spend my money elsewhere. BA survives on an extremely outdated reputation for when they were once a decent airline.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

half the price, less than half the service and a bunch of ****ing miserable ***** working onboard. Last flew them internationally about 3 years ago, was so bloody awful that I complained and kicked up stink, later letter wrote and got bugger all meaningful response.
still have to fly them glasgow to london and thats about as long as i'll give them. even in that hour flight they often manage to **** something up.

Id rather spend my money elsewhere. BA survives on an extremely outdated reputation for when they were once a decent airline.
I really disagree with most of that. I recently flew to Boston via London. I stayed in London for 2 nights.

I managed to check the luggage all the way through to Boston and take a smaller bit for london. That all worked fine. I got hammered in London and left my passport in the hotel - BA helped me fined it, put me on a reserve flight and still the luggage made it on time to Boston. A similar thing happened a year or so ago and BA came through that time too.

They served a main meal and sandwiches later. Food is shit on any airline, but at least you're not hungry on BA - EK you leave the flight starving.

The TV is shit, but I use my ipad anyway.

The staff are ugly as sin, gay or not friendly. I ignore them, they ignore me. That works.

The seats are marginally more comfortable on BA over EK (in economy).

The 23Kg rule is awful. They should be ashamed of that but again, I'm normally below it.

All in. I think that EK are overpriced and over rated. BA are cheap, shite, but under-rated.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Millhouse, I revisited BA recently (back end) and was pleasantly surprised.

In the pointy end, Etihad is for me. Obviously airmiles only!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I prefer EK purely for the entertainment system.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I really disagree with most of that. I recently flew to Boston via London. I stayed in London for 2 nights.

I managed to check the luggage all the way through to Boston and take a smaller bit for london. That all worked fine. I got hammered in London and left my passport in the hotel - BA helped me fined it, put me on a reserve flight and still the luggage made it on time to Boston. A similar thing happened a year or so ago and BA came through that time too.

lucky you, theyve managed to lose my baggage between glasgow and london twice in the last 4 flights and were **** all use in finding it, it really was a painful experience

They served a main meal and sandwiches later. Food is shit on any airline, but at least you're not hungry on BA - EK you leave the flight starving.
i actually like the lamb curry on emirates but then again your taste buds are ****ed at altitude so god knows what it really tastes like but yeah pretty much all airlines are crap on food
The TV is shit, but I use my ipad anyway.
ICE rocks but we all know that

The staff are ugly as sin, gay or not friendly. I ignore them, they ignore me. That works.
likewise unless the are deliberately obtuse as my experience of BA staff seems to be. Flying with a toddler emirates are fantastic with BA they are utter twats

The seats are marginally more comfortable on BA over EK (in economy).
meh, they are all shit its just degrees really

The 23Kg rule is awful. They should be ashamed of that but again, I'm normally below it.
that really ****s me up especially when we fly emirates to the UK and BA in between. I have now developed the attitude that I dont care how stroppy BA get the max piece limit is 28kg so heres my credit card now **** off and put the bag on the plane please, I have a 3 yr old whos been driving me insane for 8 hours so no I wont be re ****ing packing at the check in desk.

All in. I think that EK are overpriced and over rated. BA are cheap, shite, but under-rated.
EK are overpriced and yes generally over rated but on the whole I find EK to be a better experience in general. BA's usual standard is so much lower that even their once in a blue moon brilliance fails to make up the average experience.

then again lets face it, its flying and its just generally shit all round. ive been flying for 37 of my 40 years and frankly have yet to find anything enjoyable about the whole airport, fart infested metal tube thing.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

have yet to find anything enjoyable about the whole airport, fart infested metal tube thing.
Totally agree. Apart from Wagamamma's at T5. They go a great bacon sandwich for breakfast.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

If it was in Bangkok, it should not be bought between 1500 and 1700!
Old Jun 15th 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Regarding the liquor license.

Does holding a liquor license in Dubai identify you as a possible target for harassment because you are a confirmed consumer of alcohol?

In other words, can it backfire?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Does holding a liquor license in Dubai identify you as a possible target for harassment because you are a confirmed consumer of alcohol?
Harassment from who? The police have no interest in foreigners unless you draw yourself to their attention and I have never ever been asked for my licence.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Regarding the liquor license.

In other words, can it backfire?
Spent 3 years in AD and 1 1/2 in Dubai, and never knew anyone, nor heard of anyone, getting harrassed because of drinking. Act like an arse, and you'll suffer for everything from booze to the colour of your socks. As it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.