Favourite authors

Old May 21st 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite authors

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
Yep, read that and enjoyed it. Another book on the same lines is Smokescreen, by Robert Sebag.
Cheers, will have a looksee!
Old May 21st 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Will do, thanks.

I take it you have read Mr Nice by Howard Marks?
Yup! Another great read and in my opinion rotten film - but I always say that about books that have been made into films! Rhys Ifans also put me off.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

For returning time and time again to any and all output:

Jane Austen
Terry Pratchett
Christopher Brookmyre

Doing an English degree atm - there's a lot of dross out there - I'm sure some stuff only gets into the Canon because it's unintelligible. I wouldn't trust anyone who said they liked several authors - though the pretensions are amusing

Last edited by abi31; May 21st 2013 at 7:35 pm.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Kurt Vonnegut
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver View Post
Yup! Another great read and in my opinion rotten film.
Agreed, it never really got going and seemed to miss out vast swaths of the best bits of the book.
Old May 22nd 2013, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31 View Post

Jane Austen
Terry Pratchett
Christopher Brookmyre

Doing an English degree atm - there's a lot of dross out there - I'm sure some stuff only gets into the Canon because it's unintelligible. I wouldn't trust anyone who said they liked several authors - though the pretensions are amusing
So you don't trust yourself?
Old May 22nd 2013, 10:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Jane Austen
Terry Pratchett
Christopher Brookmyre

That seems a very odd thing, even prentious, thing to say. It's perfectly normal to like different writers and read lots of different types of book. In the same way that no one only ever listens to one band or singer.
Old May 22nd 2013, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
That seems a very odd thing, even prentious, thing to say. It's perfectly normal to like different writers and read lots of different types of book. In the same way that no one only ever listens to one band or singer.
I thought the same thing earlier. Then i felt like maybe i was pretentious, lol
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:59 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Agree completely who wants to be one dimensional? I tend to read things that I am interested in. That varies from astro-physics down to football and easy read thrillers etc.

Just because I read it something it doesn't mean I undertsand it all either . I read Thus Spoke Zarathustra a few weeks ago.........whoosh!
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
So you don't trust yourself?
when I say several authors I have them in mind but would not name them as am not out to try and insult anyone who may have decided they do like them.

It sounds like some people may suspect they do like such work but I guess any sensitivity says more about them than me. By the way I haven't read every post in depth but I haven't spotted any yet here and anyone who I have met who claimed such things has only backed up my notions (often because despite claiming a preference they are then unable to discuss the work in any interesting detail).

I fully agree that many people like different books - a very intelligent and witty friend of mine told me to give catch 22 a miss cos it was boring and hard to get into - as I'd already bought it I read it anyway and thought it was brilliant. All I was saying is that there are a few novels that only seem to exist to make student life hell. Frankly I'm sure most people who read a lot have a similar list. And I'm certainly not going to get started on anything that's massively popular that a teenager would have done a better job of writing as I'm sure that would be endlessly controversial.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't trust anyone who said they liked several authors
Your signature is quite ironic.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

when I say several authors I have them in mind but would not name them as am not out to try and insult anyone who may have decided they do like them.
Do you seriously think someone's going to be insulted because you say you like an author they don't?
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:47 am