Favourite authors

Old May 23rd 2013, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Favourite authors

Originally Posted by Scamp
Your signature is quite ironic.
Last thing promise - I do worry about what I say being misinterpreted as it has been here - suppose I shouldn't care many others clearly don't. I presume you're suggesting I am close minded because I base whether I trust/like someone on their opinions. I'd be interested to know how you do it.

There's no point having such an open mind that everything falls out.

Originally Posted by Scamp
How bizarre.
Not sure why you think so, but I felt entitled to defend myself. Whilst examples were requested and I admit I have refused to provide them I was called pretentious and close minded for expressing an (as mentioned, minor) opinion that not all novels are worthy of status as classics. I'm sure everyone who did so loves every book ever written and never makes judgement calls about people based on their opinions so it's all good.
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by abi31
Last thing promise - I do worry about what I say being misinterpreted as it has been here - suppose I shouldn't care many others clearly don't. I presume you're suggesting I am close minded because I base whether I trust/like someone on their opinions. I'd be interested to know how you do it.

Not sure why you think so, but I felt entitled to defend myself. Whilst examples were requested and I admit I have refused to provide them I was called pretentious and close minded for expressing an (as mentioned, minor) opinion that not all novels are worthy of status as classics. I'm sure everyone who did so loves every book ever written and never makes judgement calls about people based on their opinions so it's all good.
I just don't get the original comment and then who or wha you are debating?

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, because it's good to share opinions - you have no need to defend yourself really.
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:15 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that most of us have no idea what you are on about as you really don't make much sense.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:07 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it's that attitude of disregard for the feelings of others that makes many internet forums an uncomfortable place for non confrontational people to express any kind of opinion. I very rarely bother to express anything on BE for this reason.
I'd be surprised if you actually make it out of bed in the morning--let alone onto BE--if you think that somebody's going to feel that you've "disregarded their feelings" and made whatever forum you're debating in an "uncomfortable place" merely because you've expressed a liking for a couple of authors. Sincerely, I hope you degree will go well, because--if it in any way resembles my A Level English Lit done 4 decades ago--debate about authors and their works is a pretty essential part of it, and making your own mind up (and voicing your opinion) is all part of the process. Please, feel free to say why you don't like some of the authors others have expressed a liking for--I bet nobody here's going to get upset. I like Tom Sharpe, but I'm sure he's not everybody's cup of tea, and I'll be happy to know other's opinions of him, positive and negative: there's no right and wrong when it comes to liking authors or their works.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:20 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
my A Level English Lit done 4 decades ago--
Shakespeare must have been considered contemporary theatre back then.

Bwahaha
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:21 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Shakespeare must have been considered contemporary theatre back then.

Bwahaha
I nearly wrote "40 decades". God it feels like it sometimes...
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:32 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I nearly wrote "40 decades". God it feels like it sometimes...
Get yourself up to that there Casablanca on Saturday, kick off with a few beers at the Irish Pub, then a nice meal in la bodega in town, followed by a short walk to the Sheraton. If you stay there you can haunt the nightclub for free.Book 2 rooms.

Sunday morning walk to du porte de peche for an some incredibly good fresh fish. Slip the waiter a few quid to avoid the queues.

You'll feel like a new man
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:39 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Get yourself up to that there Casablanca on Saturday, kick off with a few beers at the Irish Pub, then a nice meal in la bodega in town, followed by a short walk to the Sheraton. If you stay there you can haunt the nightclub for free.Book 2 rooms.

Sunday morning walk to du porte de peche for an some incredibly good fresh fish. Slip the waiter a few quid to avoid the queues.

You'll feel like a new man
Sound advice

I'm just puzzled why I should feel like having a different man from the one you suggest I take on Saturday night.