Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Farewell to one of sport's greatest voices.......

Farewell to one of sport's greatest voices.......

Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:09 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Farewell to one of sport's greatest voices.......

Originally Posted by The Dean
Bill McLaren and Brian Johnston? Yes it's easy to confuse them........... different names, different sports....... I can imagine the difficulty.
Both TV and radio sports commentators and I suspect that 50% of the posters on here haven't even heard of either of them.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:28 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Why is it sad?
He was 86,had a long and (in the main) happy life.
A roof over his head,a family and food in his mouth.
It's just a fact of life and it comes to us all.
yea i agree with you totally...I meant i am sad that he died as i have a lot of great memories of him commentating when we stuff the English.

But your quite correct, he lived a full and happy life.

to many serial mourners on here
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Both TV and radio sports commentators and I suspect that 50% of the posters on here haven't even heard of either of them.
Of which I am one....never heard of the dude.
Mind you I am from the other side of the planet.

Can't be as good as Murray Mexted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Mexted

"Andy Ellis - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago"
"He scored that try after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of play."
"I would not say he (Rico Gear) is the best left winger in the Super 14, but there are none better."
"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."
"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."
"There's a couple of Hores on display tonight" (the brothers Charlie Hore (Highlanders) and Andrew Hore (Hurricanes) playing on opposing teams)
"As you know, I've been pumping Marty Leslie for a couple of years now."[3]
"You don't like to see hookers going down on players like that."[4]
"This game is a white wash, but the All Blacks are black, these no white teams!"
"I haven't had a knee operation on any other part of my body."
"He's looking for some meaningful penetration into the backline."[4]
"Spencer's running across field calling out, 'come inside me, come inside me.'"
"I can tell you it's a magnificent sensation when the gap opens up like that and you just burst right through."
"I don't like this new law, because your first instinct when you see a man on the ground is to go down on him"
"Darryl Gibson has been quite magnificent coming inside Andrew Mehrtens, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the same today."
"There's nothing that a tight forward likes more than a loosie right up his backside"
"Its all tied up at 14-13"
"Trapped like a shag on the rocks" (RWC07 Georgia vs Argentina)
"He ran like a bat" (RWC07 Georgia vs Argentina)
“There’s lots of hooters over here Nisbo.”
"He who hesitates......is lost."
"Both sides are here to play rugby."
A Sky TV producer was conducting a sound test before the last Springbok test at Carisbrook...
"Murray can you hear me?....Murray can you hear me?" Murray: "No."[3]
"The turf here (Newlands) never took properly and it isn't very well rooted...in fact you could say it is rooted.....did I just say that?". (N.B. rooted means something similar to screwed, a root in New Zealand/Australian slang means sex)
"Paul Tito looked like a blind man in a brothel, just left groping."[3]
"The lineouts of course are a great artform, I've always fantisised about lineouts, even in my sleep sometimes..."[3]
"Well it was a great kick. We know Matthew Cooper's got tremendous rhythm now, he's smooth, smooth as a baby's bum... By Joves, that didn't slip out did it?"[3]
"It's very easy to be exposed as an open side (flanker) if you don't have your mate up your backside"[3]
"Well it still does it for me, the tingle up the spine, the tingle in the loins"[3]
"Isn't that an interesting scene, the two coaches, Nick Mallett and John Hart. By Joves times have changed haven't they. In the old days they'd be punching each other in that position." - (The two former coaches of the respective South African and New Zealand rugby teams were shown seated together in a grandstand).[3]
After a 2005 British & Irish Lions series match, talking about referee Stuart Dickinson, Tony Johnson states "Stuart Dickinson had far too much to say in this match", then Murray replies "Stuart Dickinson's a bit of a dick, I think"
"And he kicks it with his left-handed foot"
Eleven minutes into the Wellington versus Canterbury game 2009 Murray announced "There's a lot to happen in this game yet"
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidhendry
Don`t know about hard faced, certainly hard hearted. Who wants to live to be 86? All of us if we`re 85. Eva sounds like the hard hearted bitch who ruined so many lives in the UK. Not so hard hearted when sonny boy lost his way in the Sahara. That search, by all the UK armed forces, cost the tax payer, not her tax evading friends, 1.2 million dollars.

Regards,
Davie.
Were you one of the armed forces personnel who took part in the search?
Too long out in the sun????
Daft git.
Regards
Evie
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eva
Were you one of the armed forces personnel who took part in the search?
Too long out in the sun????
Daft git.
Regards
Evie
Yes.

Probably.

Are`nt we all.

Regards,
Davie.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Don`t know about hard faced, certainly hard hearted. Who wants to live to be 86? All of us if we`re 85. Eva sounds like the hard hearted bitch who ruined so many lives in the UK. Not so hard hearted when sonny boy lost his way in the Sahara. That search, by all the UK armed forces, cost the tax payer, not her tax evading friends, 1.2 million dollars.

Regards,
Davie.
If you hadn't been searching, what else might you have been doing? Bullying black cadets at Deepcut?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

If you hadn't been searching, what else might you have been doing? Bullying black cadets at Deepcut?
What the f*** is Deepcut?

Regards,
Davie.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

or shagging your wife..
Old Jan 21st 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by commander
or shagging your wife..

Exactly what is this supposed to mean, filthy mouthed git?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:21 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhh...does this mean I now have to open all the sports related threads, just in case I miss out on things...hmmmm
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:29 am
banned

Exactly what is this supposed to mean, filthy mouthed git?
not a word came out of my mouth David...
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,
Davie.
You are comparing Eva with Thatcher? Very, very wrong & you just make yourself sound like a idiot with that uncalled for remark.

I'm with Eva. yes it's sad when people die, but less so when in accordance with the natural order of things. He'd had his 'three score & ten' and a decent life, so that's how it should be. I'm all for celebrating a good life, lived well.

-
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

or shagging your wife..
What's my wife got to do with this?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:16 am
banned

What's my wife got to do with this?
whats bullying blacks at deepcut got to do with Bill McLaren...C'est la vie
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

whats bullying blacks at deepcut got to do with Bill McLaren...C'est la vie
Ouch........... I think that was a reply to davidhendry's comment about how the armed forces spend their time.......

Anyway, not to worry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.