Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirati women in the cockpit.

Emirati women in the cockpit.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirati women in the cockpit.

Originally Posted by seven seas
Everyone knows who I'm talking to: the expat who's just jealous that some people have a country that isn't full of shit and who relies on sexist and racist rubbish to keep their self-esteem afloat.
Quick question....which country would that be?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:36 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
bring Beardman back...
Yay
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:24 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yowzer.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Yowzer.
Littlejimmy!!! Long time no see ! How are you? Are you still in doha? If so, will I see you tomorrow night?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

See? It's not nice to make racist remarks about a whole country, is it?
Or is it OK as long as it's not the United Islands of Mullets and Child Abuse (a.k.a NZ)?
You are some sort of spectacular di*khead. No really. If you think NZ is pithily summed up by a cheap shot about child abuse, then you really are scraping the depths of your own stupidity.

I would really like you to try quote me in a genuine racist context.

Or was that meant to be a comment that was supposed to stop me in my tracks.
I've forced them to shutthe****up about things like this a few times already.
Blowhard.

Last edited by spart; Oct 28th 2009 at 3:51 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edinburger
Seven Seas - I think you are taking things way to far with your last few posts. It is no wonder that nobody wants to "debate" with you when you resort to childish, aggresive and offensive name calling.
My posts with offensive and aggressive name-calling are designed to show what a useless waste of time that tactic is, and to show how childish it is for someone to accept casual sexism and racism as long as it's not directed at oneself.

I may have missed it- have you had much success- apart from Mata Hari- with getting a civilised response ? Coz I tried debate and nobody was interested. The old Jim Davidson jokebook came out...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
maybe most men have some deep fear of women taking over the world...although they would never actually admit to that...

I can just imagine the 'jokes' when something bad happens to a plane where a woman was in charge...where as when men were involved it's thought to be something technical that went wrong, although the pilots logging on their laptops recently might suggest otherwise. The women no doubt will be accused of doing their nails or having their period...bleeding and flying a plane at the same time is just too much...
Thanks for the input. Really.

So, how did you feel when the response to the "Emirati women pilots..." story was a bunch of racist sexist bollocks?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Want to address the point I made, or just tell me again what a wanker I am? I did spell it out in detail, just in case.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alexa
Quick question....which country would that be?
Is THAT really what this topic is about? Why don't you start from the top and tell us how you feel about sexism and racism?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is THAT really what this topic is about? Why don't you start from the top and tell us how you feel about sexism and racism?
No, it is not about the topic, it is about your response to one of the posts.
Why don't you answer my question about your post?

And no, I do not want to "debate" with you about racism or sexism.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

The producers of "You Bet!" have been on the phone. Your challenge will be to see if you can bore the whole audience shitless in less than 30 seconds.

We're all rooting for you and know you can do it. Go for it!

YOU BET!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alexa
No, it is not about the topic, it is about your response to one of the posts.
Why don't you answer my question about your post?
And no, I do not want to "debate" with you about racism or sexism.
I've already explained how I've been trying to show the hyppocrisy of condoning racist remarks and objecting only when you are the target of such racism.

If you don't want to debate that, then feel free to run away.

Ronnie Biggs, if your intellect can't cope with the debate, you can run away too.

As a start, the non-toipc of 'Spoilers' is one you could handle without too much trouble.

Last edited by seven seas; Oct 29th 2009 at 7:09 am.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

just a smal point but by definition none of the remarks made have been racist as they have not been directed at any race at all but rather a subset of a particular nationality, pedantic perhaps but certainly true.

Whilst the remarks could be construed as sexist i'd beg to differ on that one as none of us have made remarks based on social stereotypes but rather on personal experience and first hand knowledge of the role played by the majority of emirati women in society.

I'd also point out that stereotypes themselves evolve due to a stereotypical behaviour of a group and whilst some may find it unpleasant its a fact of life that these arise as a direct result of patterns of behaviour which tend to accurately reflect the behaviour of a majority.

In short we have not typecast anyone into a role based on either race or sex but have made remarks based on the observation of the roles these people themselves play in our society.

Also, I would still like to see an answer to the asked question of the background of some of the posters in this thread, those of us who seem to be at the recieving end either are emirati or have spent many many years in this country and our detractors seem somewhat reluctant to explain their first hand experience. The provision of this information would allow us to judge whether these are informed opinions based on experience or purely the mad ramblings of a few idiots who are stuck on the pc bus?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shiva- thanks for joining in.

You're right, nobody has said "Every single Emirati, without exception, is ....".
So why can I not get away with saying "Kiwis are ...."? Because we can recognise what's OK and what isn't. We aren't lawyers arguing in court.

Stereotypes/ racism: this is a standard defence of racist beliefs. "I know it coz I've been there", "they all do it", and "in my experience". Yes, there is a tendency to not take work seriously enough, and at present there is a low level of technical skills in the UAE. This is changing, too slowly for most people, including the government which is trying to raise skills to the point where they won't need us any more.

When a new fact (ie: pilots graduate) emerges, it should challenge existing stereotyes, rather than get challenged itself because it does not fit with these colonial stereotypes. BIG difference.

Having said that, the normal way (I think) to respond to the news in question might be "Wow, well done. I wish them the best.".

It would NOT include unfunny references to burqas, yapping on mobiles, or family connections.

As for backgrounds, I think it is still irrelevant because no amount of personal experience justifies making silly comments like that. Although I claim that I've been here for thirty years, that does not change the fact that the government is imlpementing a for-profit model on state-run services like healthcare and education in a drive for efficiency. Likewise for the fact that getting a state-sector job (eg in the ADNOC group) is harder than it ever was for Emiratis and will continue to become harder. Prerequisites for graduating from local institutions are starting to include external and/or international verification and audits, making them more academically rigorous.

These are verifiable facts. Not opinion.

And PC is merely good manners, the mark of an educated sohisticated person. The Sun has tricked many people into thinking that the way we refer to bin bags and blackboards is somehow related.

Last edited by seven seas; Oct 29th 2009 at 8:26 am. Reason: OK, so I've been here a long time
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I've already explained how I've been trying to show the hyppocrisy of condoning racist remarks and objecting only when you are the target of such racism.

If you don't want to debate that, then feel free to run away.

Ronnie Biggs, if your intellect can't cope with the debate, you can run away too.

As a start, the non-toipc of 'Spoilers' is one you could handle without too much trouble.
No, I am not running away....other than that....all that Shiva said...exactly right, I could not have put it half as nice and polite as Shiva did.
I have lived in the ME 10 years now, and if what Shiva said is incorrect (it is 100% correct IMHO), then I want to ask you....why are Expats here???? Because the locals can't do what what Expats do because they are so small in numbers? Come on man.......

Sure, there are locals who do an excellent job,but how many are there who are employed because of their nationality and everybody is relieved they only come in to drink coffee and talk on the phone, as they otherwise would do more harm then good???

How may times have we gone to meetings, have waited for god knows how long for people to show up , to then leave and ask ourselves why we had to waste precious time to listen to small talk???

How many times have we sat on planes to wait for the elect few who were busy chatting and having coffee ,to then witness the fight over plane seats?

I could go on and on....as I am sure most of us could.

All that would not be that big of a deal , if there wasn't this ,IMHO, completely irrational claim of supremacy.

I wish the lady flying a plane all the best, and hope she will be an example to those lacking all that she hopefully has.

Last edited by Alexa; Oct 29th 2009 at 10:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.