British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates vs Etihad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-vs-etihad-838388/)

Tockalosh Jul 9th 2014 6:22 pm

Emirates vs Etihad

Now I never thought I would end up spending so much time on aircraft as I now do; and for it to be predominately long haul
Being based in Dubai I have predominately used emirates naturally but I have also racked up a silly amount with Etihad because of better flight times to the US.

So who is best carrier ?

Emirates hands down every time, there is just no contest, at every stage they out perform Etihad

So now you know

flood2 Jul 9th 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Emirates vs Etihad

I had the pleasure of flying from Dubai to Doha each week for 18 months. Built up lots of Emirates airmiles, got silver/gold which allowed me free lounge access (great in doha after a week there) and about 5 upgrades to business...

Used some of my airmiles to get from dubai to glasgow in march. Got a free upgrade to first class on arrival at gate.

Only one winner for me!

Inselaffen Jul 10th 2014 5:53 am

would use neither for personal flights. completely overpriced for flights ex-UAE
always used Emirates flying from Singapore where they were competitive.

Meow Jul 10th 2014 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11331358)
Now I never thought I would end up spending so much time on aircraft as I now do; and for it to be predominately long haul
Being based in Dubai I have predominately used emirates naturally but I have also racked up a silly amount with Etihad because of better flight times to the US.

So who is best carrier ?

Emirates hands down every time, there is just no contest, at every stage they out perform Etihad

So now you know

Travelling economy or business class? I really like Etihad business.

coffindodger Jul 10th 2014 8:27 am

Since I have now moved to the Philippines,
Please be careful on this this topic.
On a certain Aviation web site ALL TALK about EY has been banned.
EY do not like any bad or any other wise comments on there service.
No I am not employed by Etihad or as some say Emptyhad.
With the major unrest within EK at the moment, a very interesting time ahead for both airlines.
For me travelling to / from Manila and Bahrain I like Etihad certainly in Business class.

Brains1983 Jul 10th 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 11332042)
On a certain Aviation web site ALL TALK about EY has been banned.
EY do not like any bad or any other wise comments on there service.

PPRuNe Forums - Professional Pilots Rumour Network ?

coffindodger Jul 10th 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11332083)

YES !! legal action was threatened on the web site if all posting about EY left on. Sad really so much to freedom of speech.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 10th 2014 11:19 am

Both are grossly overpriced for this region but Emirates does a better job of making you feel happy while robbing you blind :D

Pongo Jul 10th 2014 2:29 pm

For those of us from Scotland, Etihad have just announced an Abu Dhabi-Edinburgh route.

Tockalosh Jul 11th 2014 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11332028)
Travelling economy or business class? I really like Etihad business.

We have an 8 hour flight duration to get business class so trips to UK and china are economy. Flights to US, Oz and NZ business. Bearing in mind the previous comments, the non emirates airline are pants in comparison. I have been on some sad tired non emirates 340's to the US where seats don't work and hostess are rude. I admit I try and fly a380's on long haul because the quietness of the cabin helps me sleep better and the non emirates don't have em yet.
When i am shelling my own cash as next week, I still fly emirates

flares Jul 11th 2014 5:46 pm

Saudia rock!

OleJanx Jul 11th 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11333649)
Saudia rock! (bottom)

Changed that for you....

Irishbeekeeper Jul 12th 2014 10:47 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11333662)
Changed that for you....

:rofl::rofl:

boddom!

Blue Cat Jul 13th 2014 5:49 am

husband flies regularly with both airlines, prefers Emirates.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 13th 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11333626)
When i am shelling my own cash as next week, I still fly emirates

Amen. I don't really enjoy flying that much. I want it to be as good as possible, so Emirates economy (especially A380) gives me the best option, even if a bit more expensive than BA/Virgin etc.

Tockalosh Jul 13th 2014 3:21 pm

Now to all those who hate kids racing up and down the isles and having fun, please avoid the morning Emirates flight to Manchester on Thursday because the two little horrors causing havoc and mayhem may well be mine. You have been warned. :-) and nothing turns my mild mannered wife into a potential serial killer than people giving it tut tuts

Of course if Emirates want to upgrade the family Tockalosh to business class for giving them a good plug then please feel free guys and I will promise to gag the children

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 13th 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11335184)
Now to all those who hate kids racing up and down the isles and having fun, please avoid the morning Emirates flight to Manchester on Thursday because the two little horrors causing havoc and mayhem may well be mine. You have been warned. :-) and nothing turns my mild mannered wife into a potential serial killer than people giving it tut tuts

Of course if Emirates want to upgrade the family Tockalosh to business class for giving them a good plug then please feel free guys and I will promise to gag the children

Not sure where I stand on this.

Tockalosh Jul 13th 2014 3:56 pm

Before kids it drove me mad

After kids I feel for the parents especially the poor souls who will have just done 14 hours from Oz and have another 7 to go with 2 toddlers

Brains1983 Jul 13th 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11335211)

After kids I feel for the parents especially the poor souls who will have just done 14 hours from Oz and have another 7 to go with 2 toddlers

We did Abu Dhabi to Sao Paulo (+/- 15hours) direct in October. With a 5month year old and a not quite 2year old. The look of disgust I used to give parents travelling with young children is now one of sympathy.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2014 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11335211)

I'm still in the waaaaaay before kids bit so I'll continue with the looks of disgust. Babies - impossible to control, I get that. Toddler and up? Get to ****. Sit the bastards down with some shit to do, enough to keep them busy and entertained the whole way. The TV screen should cover that really.

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11335216)
We did Abu Dhabi to Sao Paulo (+/- 15hours) direct in October. With a 5month year old and a not quite 2year old. The look of disgust I used to give parents travelling with young children is now one of sympathy.

15hours. I'd be a complete **** after 7. I feel for you. But keep the rotters quiet ;)

Millhouse Jul 14th 2014 10:23 am

I am very tolerant of kids on aircraft... now.

I did an overnight flight in economy this week, row 10. right next to the kids. One poor kid bellowed most of the night. I felt for the parents.

Thank heavens for Bose headphones and that crashing wave music. :D

Tockalosh Jul 14th 2014 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11335721)
I'm still in the waaaaaay before kids bit so I'll continue with the looks of disgust. Babies - impossible to control, I get that. Toddler and up? Get to ****. Sit the bastards down with some shit to do, enough to keep them busy and entertained the whole way. The TV screen should cover that really.

15hours. I'd be a complete **** after 7. I feel for you. But keep the rotters quiet ;)

Lmao I can't wait for scampetts to enter this world and to watch you try and sit one down for 7 hours. Do you know how much fun an aeroplane is when you are 2.5 and 5 years old ? It's a magical kingdom full of grumpy young and old people just dying to be pestered and prodded
By which time my 2 will be all growed up teenagers trying to look up the hosties skirts for amusement

Millhouse Jul 14th 2014 7:40 pm

My son is an angel on flights. He used to be a bastard and we would drug him to sleep like BA. I've even had him vomit at the gate where he was so excited. Now he sits there in near silence. Not even eating or drinking. 7 hours of non-stop ipad action. He's only allowed to do that 4 times a year and he makes the most of it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11336221)
Lmao I can't wait for scampetts to enter this world and to watch you try and sit one down for 7 hours. Do you know how much fun an aeroplane is when you are 2.5 and 5 years old ? It's a magical kingdom full of grumpy young and old people just dying to be pestered and prodded
By which time my 2 will be all growed up teenagers trying to look up the hosties skirts for amusement

You're 100% correct. When I've got them I'll be begging for sympathy I expect. But fortunately that's years away. I'm still way too selfish to have to worry about someone else's entertainment, I barely manage to keep myself from going stir crazy.

Few heinekens now and hoping to sleep the whole way home.

Inselaffen Jul 15th 2014 6:02 am

airlines should offer the choice of kid meals - Chicken, beef and Valium

the_red_sheep Jul 15th 2014 9:28 am

Airlines should have "family" sections on aircraft where all the kids and their parents are herded, leaving the rest of us to slurp up the "free" booze and fall into uncomfortable moments of quasi-sleep.

Millhouse Jul 15th 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 11336759)
Airlines should have "family" sections on aircraft where all the kids and their parents are herded, leaving the rest of us to slurp up the "free" booze and fall into uncomfortable moments of quasi-sleep.

I totally agree with this. Actually, I think it could be a section without seats and a soft play area. It wouldn't need to take up much space just a couple of rows near the shitters.

the_red_sheep Jul 15th 2014 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11336786)
I totally agree with this. Actually, I think it could be a section without seats and a soft play area. It wouldn't need to take up much space just a couple of rows near the shitters.

A giant ball pit or soft play area would probably be a relatively safe place to be in the event the plane were to make a rapid and unplanned descent.

mikewot Jul 15th 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 11336847)
A giant ball pit or soft play area would probably be a relatively safe place to be in the event the plane were to make a rapid and unplanned descent.

Physics and mass have no respect for what humans might consider soft. Much like Emirati mothers who think that their arms are strong enough to hang onto the baby on their lap when they have a crash at 120 Kph. Baby is only going one place, through the windscreen.

Tockalosh Jul 19th 2014 7:43 am

Kids behaved impeccably. Kids meals were excellent. Kids packs were good. Emirates Blankies now firm faves with the kids.
Happy mum and dad
It's now pissing down in the UK. Can't beat a caravan in England in the rain

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 19th 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11341215)
Kids behaved impeccably. Kids meals were excellent. Kids packs were good. Emirates Blankies now firm faves with the kids.
Happy mum and dad

I know it's not Emirates only but the leg room in an A380 is excellent. I don't struggle at all.

Tockalosh Jul 19th 2014 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11341290)
I know it's not Emirates only but the leg room in an A380 is excellent. I don't struggle at all.

Agree, economy 380 is Really good. No more night flights required for us. I can now gripe at noisy screaming kids and why can't the parents stop their kids crying. Heaven

Millhouse Jul 19th 2014 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11341215)
Happy mum and dad

kids meals are often better than the adult ones.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 19th 2014 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11341303)
Agree, economy 380 is Really good. No more night flights required for us. I can now gripe at noisy screaming kids and why can't the parents stop their kids crying. Heaven

I will make a conscious effort to only fly on the big birds now.

Kids can be entertained with all sorts. I wasn't allowed to be a twat on flights, so why other kids are allowed is beyond me. Still, I'm sure with tiny ones it isn't easy.

Tockalosh Jul 19th 2014 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11341314)
kids meals are often better than the adult ones.

My two just ate the snacks so dad ate the hot course and yes it was better than the economy biriyani which in itself isn't bad. Wonder if they will serve a kids meal to a grown up if I pre order one ? Let you know in 2 weeks

shiva Jul 19th 2014 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11335721)

You have noooo idea. seriously. None. Not at all.

Your time wi come and when it does I shall be the first to die laughing

Tockalosh Jul 19th 2014 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11341315)
I will make a conscious effort to only fly on the big birds now.

Kids can be entertained with all sorts. I wasn't allowed to be a twat on flights, so why other kids are allowed is beyond me. Still, I'm sure with tiny ones it isn't easy.

The
Only downside is the 380 to Manchester picks up all the tired long haul connectors who are a bit grumpy when they get on.

Am glad t say the baggage handlers at Manchester are the most useless lazy shites On the planet. 1 hour and 15 mins after landing to get our bag. These bulgarians are ****** lazy

On a separate note, we attended the passport office in Liverpool to replace mini tocks passport. Appointment at 12.30, in at 12.30, out at 12.40 job done. I know the passport mob
Are taking flak at the moment but Liverpool office worked like clockwork which was nice. And my car still had it's wheels on.

shiva Jul 19th 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11341334)
The
Only downside is the 380 to Manchester picks up all the tired long haul connectors who are a bit grumpy when they get on.

Am glad t say the baggage handlers at Manchester are the most useless lazy shites On the planet. 1 hour and 15 mins after landing to get our bag. These bulgarians are ****** lazy

On a separate note, we attended the passport office in Liverpool to replace mini tocks passport. Appointment at 12.30, in at 12.30, out at 12.40 job done. I know the passport mob
Are taking flak at the moment but Liverpool office worked like clockwork which was nice. And my car still had it's wheels on.

they must receive the same training in Gatwick.
Half empty flight from Glasgow to gatwick yesterday and it took an hour to get the bags out. Particularly galling since half of the half empty flight only had carry on anyway.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 20th 2014 8:06 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11341333)
You have noooo idea. seriously. None. Not at all.

Your time wi come and when it does I shall be the first to die laughing

Well with that lovely attitude in the meantime I'll sit nearby on the plane not feeling sorry for you, just quietly judging your ability to keep the small ones civilized. :thumbsup:

shiva Jul 20th 2014 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11342014)
Well with that lovely attitude in the meantime I'll sit nearby on the plane not feeling sorry for you, just quietly judging your ability to keep the small ones civilized. :thumbsup:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

I'll gladly accept that there are plenty of parents on planes who make no attempt to control the little shits they begat but for everyone of them there are 10 sets of parents who spend hours mortified that their normally well behaved child is going mental with boredom and frustration. I also guarentee you that those same parents hear every squeak far louder than you and are just wishing for a black hole to appear that will end their misery.

Oh and to anyone reading who hates kids on planes, instead of being a tutting sighing ****, if a kid comes up to you why not try engaging them instead of glaring like a wanker who was miraculously spawned into adulthood skiping childhood entirely.