British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emirates vs Etihad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emirates-vs-etihad-838388/)

Meow Jul 19th 2014 11:42 pm

Re: Emirates vs Etihad

I don't hate kids in planes, unless they are misbehaving and are old enough to know better, but it's not unreasonable to get cross if a parent is making no effort to deal with their child and allowing them to disturb everyone else and run up and down the isles which has dangers in itself.

Small children get tired, frustrated and bored so they play up, that's not the issue although let's face it no one wants to hear crying for hours. Taking toddlers anywhere is not easy, but as a parent you can at least try and make it easier on everyone, not least yourself and your child/children, by taking along a toy or two, loading up your iPad with something to keep them interested etc.

Small babies are easier to deal with than small children and I wouldn't fancy taking a long flight with two small ones.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 20th 2014 1:09 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11342079)
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

I'll gladly accept that there are plenty of parents on planes who make no attempt to control the little shits they begat but for everyone of them there are 10 sets of parents who spend hours mortified that their normally well behaved child is going mental with boredom and frustration. I also guarentee you that those same parents hear every squeak far louder than you and are just wishing for a black hole to appear that will end their misery.

Oh and to anyone reading who hates kids on planes, instead of being a tutting sighing ****, if a kid comes up to you why not try engaging them instead of glaring like a wanker who was miraculously spawned into adulthood skiping childhood entirely.

I agree with all of that.

Millhouse Jul 20th 2014 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11342189)
I agree with all of that.

and do you do any of it? especially the last line?

I sometimes play with kids on planes, not in a role harris kind of way, but i've let them play dumb ways to die on the ipad.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 20th 2014 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11342286)
and do you do any of it? especially the last line?

I sometimes play with kids on planes, not in a role harris kind of way, but i've let them play dumb ways to die on the ipad.

Yep. Works both ways, talk to nice little ones or poke your tongue out at them or pull silly faces when your queuing etc. Some are quite funny and can be coming out with all sorts of random shit, especially questions about why and how.

Also I'm more than happy to tell them when they're being *****. Parents ducking hate that. Two little scum bags were stood next to my mrs and one decided to just punch her handbag. She laughed. I was a bit surprised. The other one saw and copied, I told them that it wasn't nice and they shouldn't punch people's things. They laughed, Mum didn't look happy. Silly twats.

scot47 Jul 22nd 2014 5:48 am

These airlines are for wimps. Real travellers use this one

Air Astana - Home

Inselaffen Jul 22nd 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11344565)
These airlines are for wimps. Real travellers use this one

Air Astana - Home

Air Astana are not that bad. certainly better than I've experienced on Egypt Air, Syrian Airlines, Lion Air and a few others

they 49 pct owned by BAE systems.

having said that the clientele may not be the best. on one flight by the time the drinks trolley arrived towards the back of the plane where the Mrs was sat the Russian vultures towards the front had stripped it bare of all alcoholic drinks.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 3rd 2014 8:11 pm

Anyone flown BA Premium Economy? Any good?

Compared to Emirates Economy on an A380?

co durham boy Aug 3rd 2014 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11357698)
Anyone flown BA Premium Economy? Any good?

Compared to Emirates Economy on an A380?

It's ok , better seat , different grub and in it's own section . Sometimes if theres a deal on it's worth it the extra cash . I use BA all the time now for my UK trips as it trumps QR every time and T5 is far better than landing at T4 plus i can connect to NCL at better times than EK from DOH.

The EK A380 economy is one the best economy seats around , if the price differential was in your favour then try BA.

Inselaffen Aug 3rd 2014 9:29 pm

Had my first experience on Etihad last week. flight out was ok, on a jet air a330.
flight back was terrible though. 5 hour flight on a packed A320. far too small a plane for that length of flight.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 4th 2014 4:20 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11357746)
It's ok , better seat , different grub and in it's own section . Sometimes if theres a deal on it's worth it the extra cash . I use BA all the time now for my UK trips as it trumps QR every time and T5 is far better than landing at T4 plus i can connect to NCL at better times than EK from DOH.

The EK A380 economy is one the best economy seats around , if the price differential was in your favour then try BA.

I've got to fly back at short notice next week. 4600 BA premium. 5600 emirates economy. Sounds like a no brainier. Thanks chap.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 4th 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11358213)
I've got to fly back at short notice next week. 4600 BA premium. 5600 emirates economy. Sounds like a no brainier. Thanks chap.

Irrelevant. CHanging her return flight to come back at same time as me, so will just fly Emirates. Let's hope the prices don't go up any more before I book :fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 7th 2014 11:33 pm

Qantas. The first flight out of dubai I've ever had late. 2.5 hours so not the end of the world but can't pick a seat without paying and had to drop 400 dizzers for emergency exit.

Wanker Aussies.

alfrombarking Aug 9th 2014 2:10 am

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 11332090)
YES !! legal action was threatened on the web site if all posting about EY left on. Sad really so much to freedom of speech.

The site (PPRune) was originally set-up and run by an English pilot called Danny Fyne. He sold it a few years ago to Internet Brands (US Company) for $1.5 million. Even though The American company owns PPRune nothing could be done through the American legal system because the servers were in the UK...and as it is McLiebel/Suits are billing the Arabs tons of $ for few threatening letters to PPRune:thumbdown::thumbdown::lol:

Bluelionesse Aug 9th 2014 7:01 am

Not Etihad.
1.5 hrs late to MAN. No explanation. From door being closed to take off took 35 minutes.
Cramped plane. Could have used more staff.
Food nothing special.
Not all options working on entertainment.
No info offered on connections.
22 minutes to transit thru to our Aberdeen flight with no assistance from them - we ran all the way!
Finally no trace of our luggage - didn't come up on the next flight.

Dreading the return flight home!!

Tockalosh Aug 11th 2014 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 11363774)
Not Etihad.
1.5 hrs late to MAN. No explanation. From door being closed to take off took 35 minutes.
Cramped plane. Could have used more staff.
Food nothing special.
Not all options working on entertainment.
No info offered on connections.
22 minutes to transit thru to our Aberdeen flight with no assistance from them - we ran all the way!
Finally no trace of our luggage - didn't come up on the next flight.

Dreading the return flight home!!

Looks like down the road to Dubai next time then, hope the return experience is a little less painful

Tockalosh Aug 11th 2014 2:17 am

For a further 10 days I am busy whizzing around China for the first time. It was never somewhere I wanted to go, guards in green chairman Mao era suits etc and to be honest I was dreading it and its shitty communist era aircraft but I have been totally won over with how ruthlessly efficient this place is especially the airports.

The immigration people are nice, the airports loos are clean, I have yet to see a chinese made car, everything is German with a few japenese, the road rules are generally abided by and the internal flights are clean, on time and enough seat pitch for a tall fat guy like me. I really like China, its airports and its airlines. Basic but efficient. And the shortest Daisy Dukes I have ever seen

Not sure about this Bai jo (no idea how you spell it) evil stuff I get offered multiple times every day.

Nothing to do with Etihad but I am waiting for the Bai Jo to wear off before going to sleep

Tockalosh Aug 11th 2014 2:19 am

In fact its everything that India isnt

Inselaffen Aug 11th 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11365403)
For a further 10 days I am busy whizzing around China for the first time. It was never somewhere I wanted to go, guards in green chairman Mao era suits etc and to be honest I was dreading it and its shitty communist era aircraft but I have been totally won over with how ruthlessly efficient this place is especially the airports.

The immigration people are nice, the airports loos are clean, I have yet to see a chinese made car, everything is German with a few japenese, the road rules are generally abided by and the internal flights are clean, on time and enough seat pitch for a tall fat guy like me. I really like China, its airports and its airlines. Basic but efficient. And the shortest Daisy Dukes I have ever seen

Not sure about this Bai jo (no idea how you spell it) evil stuff I get offered multiple times every day.

Nothing to do with Etihad but I am waiting for the Bai Jo to wear off before going to sleep

you can't be in Shanghai then!!

Tockalosh Aug 18th 2014 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 11366215)
you can't be in Shanghai then!!

had a jolly good time in Shangers and far too many Bai Jus or however you prounounce that wicked liquor. I havent felt remotely trouble on the roads so far In China though I accept it was a bit mad towards the bund.

Only 2 more days to go and then back to DXB, yay. I am missing the place big time and getting back on my diet. i dont think I can eat any more duck tongues and dumplings

Debowing Aug 20th 2014 8:52 pm

Can I say that Gulf Air has improved a lot....

Inselaffen Aug 21st 2014 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Debowing (Post 11376689)
Can I say that Gulf Air has improved a lot....

their a330 will be done by the time we fly with them in December. should be a big improvement.

busybee2 Aug 28th 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 11332496)
For those of us from Scotland, Etihad have just announced an Abu Dhabi-Edinburgh route.

when from do you know?

Bluelionesse Aug 29th 2014 5:47 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11385334)
when from do you know?

June 2015 :)

busybee2 Aug 30th 2014 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 11386281)
June 2015 :)

yep found it, apparently 8th june. i was hearing rumours about going to scotland, was hoping it was going to be aberdeen, as there are loads of peeps from that neck of the woods.

Brains1983 Aug 31st 2014 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11387149)
was hoping it was going to be aberdeen, as there are loads of peeps from that neck of the woods.

nae happening. largest aircraft ABZ can handle is an A321. If Etihad tried to fly one of those from Abu Dhabi it would run out of fuel enroute...

Millhouse Aug 31st 2014 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11388706)
nae happening. largest aircraft ABZ can handle is an A321. If Etihad tried to fly one of those from Abu Dhabi it would run out of fuel enroute...

probably won't stop them trying.

busybee2 Sep 1st 2014 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11388706)

i dunno abz have increased the international side of things etc so maybe in the future.

Bluelionesse Sep 1st 2014 6:28 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11389169)
i dunno abz have increased the international side of things etc so maybe in the future.

Unfortunately they need a longer runway and I think it will be quite a while til that happens!

busybee2 Sep 1st 2014 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 11389170)
Unfortunately they need a longer runway and I think it will be quite a while til that happens!

maybe so.

busybee2 Sep 1st 2014 7:14 am

but they did extend it back in 2011, still not long enough?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 1st 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11389216)
but they did extend it back in 2011, still not long enough?

Length has never been an issue for me.

Dubaiexile Sep 1st 2014 10:48 pm

Quite agree, airports are very efficient and clean, I travel to Dalian regular...always take the Emirates A380 flight to Beijing though, cannot be doing with China Southern on long haul again!! Although the baggage allowance on China Southern is great.
Baijio is an evil drink which like you they take great delight in trying to shove it down our throats, and the after taste is revolting I find.

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11365403)

Boomhauer Sep 4th 2014 5:10 am

Does Etihad pay their Asian cabin crew the same wage as their White cabin crew?