Earth Hour

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:50 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth Hour

Originally Posted by Meow
Exactly!

Humans are changing the planet. Deforestation is a prime example and even the most cynical/ignorant has to admit that makes a difference.
I don't think there is any way anyone can dispute that we are affecting the ecosystem and planet itself with our behaviour, but whether it will have a longterm effect (ie the death of earth scenario) is a completely different thing.

I'm just not convinced by the whole doomsday thing, however that does not mean that I don't think we should try to take care of the planet as best as we can...
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
I don't think there is any way anyone can dispute that we are affecting the ecosystem and planet itself with our behaviour, but whether it will have a longterm effect (ie the death of earth scenario) is a completely different thing.

I'm just not convinced by the whole doomsday thing, however that does not mean that I don't think we should try to take care of the planet as best as we can...
I met a bloke in a subway once who told me the world would end on the 14th April 2012.

If he is right, I'll be amazed but in fairness to him; he was mighty convincing
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:24 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I met a bloke in a subway once who told me the world would end on the 14th April 2012.

If he is right, I'll be amazed but in fairness to him; he was mighty convincing
I met a bloke on the jubilee line who told me he was Jesus some years ago. He offered to make my bottle of water into wine which I found quite amusing..
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I met a bloke on the jubilee line who told me he was Jesus some years ago. He offered to make my bottle of water into wine which I found quite amusing..
Could be worse, I suppose. He could have offered to turn your bottle of wine into water...
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 8:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That could have been me about 10 stops into the Jubilee Line pub crawl....
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Except yourself
talk to da han' skank ho'
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The ideal would be thorium nuke plants ,assuming research into its use is not a dead end. Just can't wait for an alternative to oil; the Gulf could use some humbling.
Amen to that.

We have the alternative - just build more reactors and keep researching existing alternatives like wind, solar and tidal.

N.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:43 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
A con? It is certainly happening. The reduction of polar ice is testament to that. The question is how much is due to humans and how much would have happened naturally. The temperature of the earth alters over the millennia, but I suspect we have hastened it.
As you said, global temperatures fluctuate naturally over time - we don't know how much is related to human activity. Nothing has been conclusively proven yet everyone treats it as a fact that humans are guilty of destroying the planet...yet we are all still here.

Global warming has become almost cult like and questioning it a crime of heresy in some circles. It's pushed onto school children as a fact (my son's school for example has days devoted to this ). Turning off the lights won't change anything. Building more nuclear reactors and cleaning up existing tech will.

Stopping the pollution and waste in developing nations will help a lot as well.

N.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we'd have to be a little daft not to concede that the climate is changing, however I doubt it's anywhere near as bad as the interweb and press would have you believe. I remember a few years ago in Scotland that they were expecting the summer to be the hottest since 18XX, and my first thought was what was the reason back in 18XX? I guess it goes in cycles.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by seven seas
Don't take him too seriously, he knows the best way to get attention is to act like Jim Davidson and Jeremy Clarkson's lovechild.

It would take a fool of monumental proportions to think that releasing massive amounts of strange chemicals into a closed system will have no effects on the planet. Even on this forum, you will not find anyone that dumb.
The classic strawman.

No one mentioned pumping strange chemicals into a closed system - only doubts on if global warming is caused by humans or not, and how there is a big con by policy makers to push their agenda on people using scare tactics about human impacts on the environment.

Pollution is a huge problem that can be solved with better technology, not switching off lights and eating organic food.

N.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse
bit harsh.

I'm loving that the oil and construction workers (probably the two most polluting industries) are disputing the notion that pissing into a pool will ultimately make it an unpleasant place to swim.
A lot of these engineer types only offer workable and sensible solutions that aren't based on the cult of Mother Earth...how dare they.

And the biggest investors into 'green' tech tend to be the energy giants, not vegetarians who never wear leather.

N.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Turning off the lights won't change anything. Building more nuclear reactors...will.
Nuclear is only clean and cheap in the short term. Long term its disastrous.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

A single medium sized volcanic eruption puts far more CO2 and other nasty chemicals into the atmosphere than mankind does in a year.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:29 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
A single medium sized volcanic eruption puts far more CO2 and other nasty chemicals into the atmosphere than mankind does in a year.
yeah someone should do something about that and leave my v8 alone!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:33 am
Account Closed

yeah someone should do something about that and leave my v8 alone!
And the cows. They can't help flatulence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.