Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

DXB Transport between terminals

DXB Transport between terminals

Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough
Default DXB Transport between terminals

I'm heading over to Dubai for the weekend with a couple of mates, but we're getting different flights (I'm using air miles instead).

I get in to Terminal 1 about half an hour before they land at Terminal 2. Is there any kind of free transport between the two landside, or will I just have to meet them at the hotel? Looks like the Metro doesn't stop there for some reason.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:18 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DXB Transport between terminals

T2 for the LCCs is the other side of the runways and there's no link unless you are in transit. I suggest you all meet at your hotel as depending which hotel, you may take very different routes. Check google maps, t1 and t3 are on the south side and T2 is on the north side.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TheShed View Post
T2 for the LCCs is the other side of the runways and there's no link unless you are in transit. I suggest you all meet at your hotel as depending which hotel, you may take very different routes. Check google maps, t1 and t3 are on the south side and T2 is on the north side.
Cheers for the advice - looks like I'm getting a round in ready at the hotel bar!
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You may land at T1 first but odds are they'll clear customs/immigration at T2 first for it's a far smaller terminal.

Tell everyone to take taxi to hotel and meet there.

Enjoy Dubai I'm still in shock over DOH vs DXB.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
You may land at T1 first but odds are they'll clear customs/immigration at T2 first for it's a far smaller terminal.

It is such a massive difference, isn't it? The one plus that I can find (and it's a dubious one) is that if I lived in Dubai or AD I doubt I would have saved up any money yet as there's so much more to do over there...
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Not enjoying it
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Eh I suspect I'll come to terms with the place. Eventually. Maybe.

It's fascinating how these two cities can be so close to one another yet also be so different. The dynamics, the demographics and the physical realities are quite different. I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

When people in DXB ask me about DOH I say Qatar is the Middle East. It has much more in common with places like Amman or Tunis or Cairo or the other big cities of the Mideast than Dubai does. There's a (very) thin veneer of modernity in the Pearl and West Bay, an odd slice of low-rent California suburbia with fast food chains last popular in the US circa 1990 along the C-ring road, and the Middle East everywhere else.

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Not enjoying it
Old Dec 25th 2016, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Eh I suspect I'll come to terms with the place. Eventually. Maybe.

It's fascinating how these two cities can be so close to one another yet also be so different. The dynamics, the demographics and the physical realities are quite different. I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

When people in DXB ask me about DOH I say Qatar is the Middle East. It has much more in common with places like Amman or Tunis or Cairo or the other big cities of the Mideast than Dubai does. There's a (very) thin veneer of modernity in the Pearl and West Bay, an odd slice of low-rent California suburbia with fast food chains last popular in the US circa 1990 along the C-ring road, and the Middle East everywhere else.
I went through the same years ago but it is what it is . Qatar is a dull mildly repressive shit hole really . They throw a few scraps of tinsel for the expats but that's dwindling .

The strange thing is , a country which has had such a great opportunity and that could self finance has decided to basically make a total mess of itself . The bedouin mentality prevails .

Think of the money
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

It is always fascinating seeing the differences when I'm over there. The number of places with Christmas trees up, for a start. And that they were playing christmas musc in the airport too! That would never be allowed over here.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:43 am
Just Joined

khalidabudhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a internal train to take you from terminal 1 to terminal 3 and vice versa for returns but terminal 2 is far and a different route but still doable between 1 and 3.

Last edited by khalidabudhabi; Dec 29th 2016 at 6:33 am.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khalidabudhabi View Post
You can get a internal train to take you from terminal 1 to terminal 2 and vice versa for returns but terminal 3 is far and a different route but still doable between 1 and 2.
Are you sure it's not the other way around?

T1 and T3 are close by and T2 (the shitty one with no bar) is far....
Old Dec 29th 2016, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post

yep that's right...T2 is the one where they usually deport folks from and the one through which labourers usually come through
Old Dec 29th 2016, 6:34 am
Just Joined

khalidabudhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post

Yes my mistake edited
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

T2's location at the back of the airport, with no transport links to the other terminals (save for getting a taxi with airport surcharge), keeps the gangs of great unwashed away from the showpiece gateways of T3 and (slightly more humble) T1. You would expect bus connections to the labour accommodation camps to be decent though. I can see merit in their methodology; I have never found an aftershave tester at T2 duty free that has ever had any in it.

T1-T3 interchange is easy. There's a regular free shuttle bus as well as the Metro and taxis, or by foot and travelator airside.