Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai students struggle with life in the UK

Dubai students struggle with life in the UK

Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai students struggle with life in the UK

Originally Posted by MataHari
So to say 'oh poor little rich kids' is a bit easy...you can do your best as a parent but they are still going to have to experience it for themselves first.
I didn't say it is easy, but what other solution is there?

Most parents will have experience of living in their home countries and in my opinion, it is down to them to prepare the kids. Nobody else will do it for them.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/ge...itain-1.655323

Poor spoilt brats can't cope with doing things for them selves and having freedom shocker! Best line: "Peter Mazloumian, another student who grew up in Dubai, was also overwhelmed by the new-found freedom and the openly available temptations of an illicit and scandalous nature".

I am still laughing at how pathetic they all sound.
Peter Mazloumian...An Armenian namby pamby...I wonder where he comes from though - Lebanon? Syria? Iran? Egypt? US of A???
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I didn't say it is easy, but what other solution is there?

Most parents will have experience of living in their home countries and in my opinion, it is down to them to prepare the kids. Nobody else will do it for them.
Prepare teenagers, your having a laugh aren't you, they know far more than their boring, old parents and don't bloody listen anyway. This is teenagers all over the world.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:58 pm
Banned

Bonita Springs will become famous soon enough

You know how when they make a movie they change or exaggerate parts of the story to make it more dramatic? That's what Gulf News did here, it's subtle trolling to get reaction because reaction sells papers so i'd feel stupid reacting to it.. Yeah a few kids (probably less that 1%) go wild when they move out of the house, but what about the millions of small town kids that flee to big cities for school or work that don't?

Furthermore some of our greatest minds, writers, artists, musicians and scientists have come from incredibly sheltered childhoods growing up in one room cabins and farm houses out in the middle of nowhere.

Non Issue
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Just one percent?
You've gotta go to my old uni and see what goes on... fantastic stuff.

BTW , nice to see full replies. Anyway, where does Bonita spring from and onto whom?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
Banned

I'm not talking about harmless college campus drinking binges, pranks and Mazola parties. I'm talking about couples getting off with each other in the streets, people fighting and spewing in the street and students using their terms allowances up in five weeks on taxis everywhere, never eating at home...even ringing their brothers asking where she could hire a cleaner from.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Prepare teenagers, your having a laugh aren't you, they know far more than their boring, old parents and don't bloody listen anyway. This is teenagers all over the world.

I scoffed at that as well. What are you supposed to do? Gather your kids together for a life preparedness class at home? Strike up conversation with them at breakfast about the scary outside world? Take them on field trips to the nearest ghetto when you're on holiday pointing out all the dangers and things to avoid?

Those are the kinds of parents that never see their kids after they move away cause they never wanna come home-even for a visit
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't just expats, when I lived in halls there were a couple of girls that didn't know they'd been born, never done anything for themselves- I was absolutely astounded that their parents had let them leave home with no life skills whatsoever! No idea how long it takes to earn 100 quid (this is before the minimum wage when I worked nights for 3.20 an hour) but would expect mummy and daddy to bail them out on a weekly basis. My fave was being asked 'how do you boil an egg- do you crack it open first?"- I was like "you eat it out the shell so what do you think?" and 'what are chips made out of?" I gave no reply to that one.

So not just the UAE, just priviliged kids that have never had to fend for themselves. They where the ones that went of the rails as well- whereas I'd done that a far younger age and got it out the way!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonita Springs
I'm not talking about harmless college campus drinking binges, pranks and Mazola parties. I'm talking about couples getting off with each other in the streets, people fighting and spewing in the street and students using their terms allowances up in five weeks on taxis everywhere, never eating at home...
That was the harmless tonnes fo fun we got up to!!!
Sounds great eh?