Dubai Expo

Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Expo

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'm amused that no one has actually answered Kitty's question.

What *is* the expo?

What *do you see* at the expo?

What *happens* at the expo?

I poked around the net. Milan has an expo coming up. The papers, including the Italian ones, are barely talking about it. By the way has anyone in Dubai noticed that Kazakhstan is hosting the expo in 2017 after Milan's and before Dubai (assuming Dubai wins it)?

These are the other recent expos:
Yeosu, South Korean (2012)
Shanghai, China (2010)
Zaragoza, Spain (2008)
Aichi, Japan (2005)
Hannover, Germany (2000)

Any of the above expos ring a bell? Some of them apparently lost tons of money and I doubt Yeosu, Zaragoza and Aichi are recognisable world city names....looking at the list of expos held since the 1960s almost all the cities are firmly second or even third tier cities.
That's the point - It's a white elephant.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I DO see the point, it's a great way of getting everything in one place - think of it like dragonmart on a worldwide scale - it will boost the economy, more and more people will come here and it'll put/keep Dubai in the public eye.

It's brilliant from Dubai's point of view.

No way have they lost this. it's a nailed on cert.
I am not sure if you're being sarcastic

From a purely utilitarian standpoint, how could a World Expo compete with a specialized expo/trade fair , for eg:

BAUMA (Construction and Mining Equipment expo/trade fair held in Munich every 3 years) .

or

IMTS (International Manufacturing Technology Show) for focusing on Machine Tools and other Manufacturing technologies.

Industry pros who mean to attended the above 2 trade fairs/expos aren't going to go to Dubai instead and call it a day.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:28 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's the point - It's a white elephant.
New record for Dubai, world's biggest White Elephant Stall!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:28 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

What *is* the expo?

What *do you see* at the expo?

What *happens* at the expo?
I Googled it a few weeks ago, and after some time gave up...it's still not clear to me what it is and the benefits it brings.

Has anyone on here been (or know of someone who has) to past Expos?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:00 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I am not sure if you're being sarcastic

From a purely utilitarian standpoint, how could a World Expo compete with a specialized expo/trade fair , for eg:

BAUMA (Construction and Mining Equipment expo/trade fair held in Munich every 3 years) .

or

IMTS (International Manufacturing Technology Show) for focusing on Machine Tools and other Manufacturing technologies.

Industry pros who mean to attended the above 2 trade fairs/expos aren't going to go to Dubai instead and call it a day.
Me? Sarcastic? Never!

As I mentioned, it's a way and a reason for Dubai to push themselves in the headlines again, build a new "City" near the new airport, bring loads of slaves in to build it, get there name shoved in the face of anyone and everyone, increase the traffic at the airport, the footfall, the duty free sales.

That's the idea anyway.

You must have all seen the Dubai marketing machine in progress - from world's busiest airport to 7 star hotels.

Whether I think it's a good thing is immaterial, Dubai does, as such it'll win it, add it to the "Things that Dubai has won" list, show the world they can organise a piss up in a (non-alcoholic) brewery and win other major bids going forward.

Long term it's brilliant for Dubai PLC (or Llc).
Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Comments in bold below.

Originally Posted by Kix
Me? Sarcastic? Never!

As I mentioned, it's a way and a reason for Dubai to push themselves in the headlines again Whose headlines? Other than Gulf News or National who will bother reporting on the expos? The western press barely covers expos, if at all, build a new "City" near the new airport Another Global City isn't a new city. It's supposed to be temporary and cheaply built, bring loads of slaves in to build it, get there name shoved in the face of anyone and everyone Whose face? Who's going to read about the expo outside Dubai? Emirates inflight magazines?, increase the traffic at the airport Who will come from overseas? 90% of the visitors to Shanghai's expo were domestic tourists and odds are almost all the remaining 10% were people who were already going to be in China anyway, the footfall, the duty free sales.

That's the idea anyway.

You must have all seen the Dubai marketing machine in progress - from world's busiest airport to 7 star hotels.

Whether I think it's a good thing is immaterial, Dubai does, as such it'll win it, add it to the "Things that Dubai has won" list, show the world they can organise a piss up in a (non-alcoholic) brewery and win other major bids going forward. What other major bids? Olympics are out of the question due to seasonal factors. Qatar's world cup means it ain't coming back to the Gulf for decades, if ever (depending on how much Qatar f8cks up)

Long term it's brilliant for Dubai PLC (or Llc).
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of words used but not much mention of the actual benefits the Expo is bringing. Right now it is a case of "If the Expo is held, x roads and y hotels will be built" which is all well and good, but how will the actual event benefit Dubai apart from bringing in extra tourists during the few months it is held ?

And it is arguable whether even further rises in the property and stock markets can be counted as a benefit

http://gulfnews.com/business/opinion...2020-1.1258646

Once Dubai wins the World Expo 2020 bid, this will reflect positively on the country’s overall economy, the most significant reflected in infrastructure, tourism, transport, technology, financial and property sectors.

A win is expected to lead to implementation of many infrastructure projects in preparation to provide the best to visitors, in addition to those offered by airlines and the airport expansions.

The Dubai government is planning to implement several projects, such as the Dubai Expo headquarters, expected to be one of the largest ever used for a World Expo.

It will also construct a Dubai World Trade Centre in Jebel Ali, a national museum and a project to link Dubai World Central to the Al Maktoum Airport metro line.

Furthermore, many road projects, metro stations, hotels, leisure facilities and malls will be set up, thus constituting another qualitative leap for Dubai. Projects worth Dh25 billion are expected to be implemented in Dubai over the next six years.

Tourism and travel sectors would see significant developments in the second half of the current decade, and transform the UAE into a global tourist destination. For the first time in the history of the Expo, visitors from abroad during the Expo 2020 will constitute 70-75 per cent.

Also benefiting will be allied sectors such as public transport services, restaurants, retail trade, transport and telecommunications.

The projects will also help strengthen the UAE’s position as an important regional hub, and support investors’ needs for high-class facilities and services.

New technological innovations will be showcased during the exhibition, and some of these will help support the education and economic sectors as part of the knowledge-based economy, sought after by all countries through integration of telecom and information into the education.

This will offer a chance for Emirati and expatriate youth to gain new insights that can be utilised to boost the future economic and technological growth.

Expectations that Dubai will win the bid has led to a noticeable increase in the valuations in the Dubai and Abu Dhabi financial markets, where many stocks have doubled.
There has been a remarkable increase in property prices, up by 5 per cent and more last month compared with September. In case of a win, the two sectors will achieve more.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:21 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I only know about the airport bit (obviously) and the plan to have 5 runways (only 1 currently built) will mean that 2 will be built immediately the announcement is made. The Metro will be connected to DWC/AMI from Jebel Ali within 3 years of the announcement. None of these plans are new, the blueprints are already done, maps drawn etc. Just a case of persuading a builder to do the work "the money is available habiti, honestly".
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

http://gulfnews.com/business/economy...term-1.1258905

Far less self-doubt among the comments than in this forum...
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima

Ah, the gullible Gulf News readers. Most of them also seem to think that Dubai is fair, has a balanced legal system, that property here is a great bet and it's a decent newspaper...

One comment: "I don't know why the word "LOSE" is used here.This may create some negative waves." How do these people manage to type with their heads in the sand?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maxima

"“As for the short term, the market [DFM in this case] would react either positively or negatively to the announcement,” said Tariq Qaqish, head of asset management and fund manager at AlMal Capital, Dubai."
Wise words indeed!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
Ah, the gullible Gulf News readers. Most of them also seem to think that Dubai is fair, has a balanced legal system, that property here is a great bet and it's a decent newspaper...

One comment: "I don't know why the word "LOSE" is used here.This may create some negative waves." How do these people manage to type with their heads in the sand?
The comments do sound quite similar, I won't be surprised if it is just a schoolkid behind half of them
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm amused that you didn't manage to either....

I've got no ****ing idea what the deal is, there appears to be many unsanctioned / regional expos etc as well as the main ones....but the main ones seem to be for...well....who knows?
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:15 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm amused that you didn't manage to either....

I've got no ****ing idea what the deal is, there appears to be many unsanctioned / regional expos etc as well as the main ones....but the main ones seem to be for...well....who knows?
To attract more MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferencing, Exhibitions). Dubai is ideally situated between Europe and Asia so for Global Major Exhibitions they can showcase what they can do.

Maybe it won't show at first but it will in years afterwards. They're really pissed off with Doha for getting the World Petroleum Congress in 2012 and the UN Climate Change too.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So the expo is another one of those things that Dubai makes a big fuss about but most of the rest of the world couldn't care less? A bit like all their world records in flag making and biryani cooking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.