British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dubai Expo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dubai-expo-815371/)

NorthernLad Nov 17th 2013 9:20 am

Dubai Expo

I've heard a rumour that if Dubai get the Expo it will be a weeks vacation/celebrations.

We all know how rumours go in this place, anyone else heard this?

Equestra Nov 17th 2013 9:39 am

Re: Dubai Expo

That'd be nice, the announcement is next Weds, National Day the following Monday ....maybe they'll join the lot together as a week long celebration!

Equestra Nov 17th 2013 9:44 am

PS love the way you've called it Dubai Expo as though it's a forgone conclusion (which of course we all pretty much agree it is), but to be correct it's World Expo 2020 ...followed by whichever city wins.

Just being pedantic as I try to kill an extremely boring afternoon at work! ;-)

mikewot Nov 17th 2013 9:47 am

I have only heard that the National Day will be 1st & 2nd instead of 2nd & 3rd so it'll be a long weekend.

Millhouse Nov 17th 2013 9:54 am

I sincerely hope that it is not declared a week long holiday - as I won't be given it.

Robajob Nov 17th 2013 9:56 am

The cynic in me suggests that if Dubai wins, any extended holidays will be for public sector workers only....

Meow Nov 17th 2013 10:17 am

I can't see a whole week off being given. Perhaps National Day will be a two day holiday?

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 17th 2013 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 10994840)
The cynic in me suggests that if Dubai wins, any extended holidays will be for public sector workers only....

Our boss promised us public sector level holidays.

It generally goes;

Public sector 3 days
Private 1 day
Us 2 days

So if they chucked a biggie then we might be in to get a few days off :thumbsup:

Maxima Nov 17th 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10994854)
I can't see a whole week off being given. Perhaps National Day will be a two day holiday?

As it has been the last 3 years, for public workers.

Meow Nov 17th 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 10994866)
As it has been the last 3 years, for public workers.

Not for the private sector...

weasel decentral Nov 17th 2013 11:11 am

I hope they get it, Expo 2020 combined with the WC in Qatar and all the stupid money the Saudis are pouring into rail works, the construction packages available will become a lottery spin the wheel event again.

I just hope I am still here to rip them off contribute to Middle East infrastructure works.

Meow Nov 17th 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10994903)
I just hope I am still here to rip them off contribute to Middle East infrastructure works.

Make hay etc... :D

weasel decentral Nov 17th 2013 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10994905)
Make hay etc... :D

I am planning to leave by July next year but I will certainly return later towards 2018 when the panic has set in.

Chaos + panic + looming deadlines = ransom demand package

Irishbeekeeper Nov 17th 2013 1:36 pm

Russia, Turkey and Brazil are the other candidates hence I would think it would be a tight race...on paper at least. But with the WC being given to Qatar (I still cant get over that one), no one knows for sure anymore :D

I do hope that Dubai gets it as there is a fast looming property bubble pop in my humble opinion, and this would help ease everyone I guess. That also would mean all the poor people who have their money stuck in un-finished property projects might be looking to an end to their miseries.

The downside to all that, I guess, would be rents would go up...further. Or am I wrong in my amateur financial forecast :)

shiva Nov 17th 2013 2:39 pm

Pretty sure it's been bought and paid for

Que massive bubble and enormous pop in 2020

Make hay then **** off. Seems to mine and everybody else's plan